• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Multiple Enneagram Subtypes/Instincts The relationship between the two most dominant instincts

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
INTP, and sure of it.

But elaborate on Sp/Sx, if you will. What's your reasoning behind it?

You are protective but confident in the Sp realm and you are sexually prude, theses are mark of Self-Preservation. You don't care about the Social realm but have a lot of focus on intimacy. So Sp/Sx.

Your post looke a little "emo" to me, so I got the impression that you could be INFP, but you're probably right if you think you're INTP.

Richardsen

MBTI Type
IxFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hmm...wish I could do a visual representation of my instinct order but I can't. For me, it's:

Sx - (Relationship-wise) Consciously avoid it, analyze it, worry about it, fantasize about it, hide it. Very exciting and dramatic part of my mind. But am a total prude in real life.

Sp - Not too worried about about my own health or safety. Pretty confident that I won't come to any harm. You could even call it being cocky. May travel to unfamiliar places alone or do extreme sports...as if to show that I can handle it. But will refuse to touch/experiment with drugs. Would rather eat fruits/fish/vegies than take supplements or vitamins.

So - Does not take up much mind-space. Not really a concern. Easy to brush aside.

Verdict?
Sp/Sx with the Sx nailing the surface

To me Sp means "comfort"
Sx means " danger and security"

Note: The Sx/Sp ones tend to have an ON/OFF quality, if you know what I mean

Silveresque

I'm still pretty confused about my instincts. I can never decide which is first or which is last, the only thing I know for certain is that I'm not sp last.

Sx - Don't like taking risks, don't seek intensity (or do I? :unsure: Does seeking emotional intensity in music, movies, books, fantasies, etc. count?), strong desire for connection/closeness (but don't know how to get it), feel disconnected, want powerful and meaningful experiences, not at all "energized" or competitive

So - Terrible at social networking, don't see any point in facebook/twitter, recluse, put little effort into staying in touch with people, don't often notice social norms (like what kind of styles people wear) - and have to occasionally put extra energy into paying attention to such things so I don't look like an idiot, resent social norms/obligations, dislike socializing, want to appear "normal", afraid of making mistakes in social situations, don't care at all about popularity, social status, being part of groups, or being socially successful

Sp - Like comfort, somewhat aware of health issues, worry about eating unhealthy but often do anyways, always take care of paying bills on time (although this can take a lot of effort), usually notice right away when a room is too hot or cold, very cautious, frugal, not materialistic

I'm sort of thinking so/sp, but I'm not sure...:shrug:

Vizzy

Enneagram
5w4
Thanks for the replies, everyone. :)

Saying that I'm Sp/Sx also answers my original question - The one that comes more naturally or is more instinctual (Ha) comes first; the one that's a tad more awkward or takes up a lot of conscious effort/energy/anxiety/mindspace goes after.

Much appreciated, everyone.

Sp/Sx too.

Regarding RevlisZero, have you checked out this thread about her?
http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/enneagram/52298-how-do-you-decide-enneagram-type.html
The Social instinct, in relation to her, is discussed towards the end of the thread. It's quite interesting.

rav3n

Depends if both are of similar weighting or there's a large gap between them.

As an sx/sp, it causes push/pull within me. Sx greatly desires intimacy with another. Sp throws up a wall if there's uncertainty.

Vizzy

Enneagram
5w4
Depends if both are of similar weighting or there's a large gap between them.

As an sx/sp, it causes push/pull within me. Sx greatly desires intimacy with another. Sp throws up a wall if there's uncertainty.
I always have a wall around me, even - no, especially when someone shows interest. Perhaps that's the difference between sp/sx and sx/sp. Any gutsy moves or daring ideas only play in my mind. I'm repressed to a fault. But I spend much of my time thinking about it. It's almost funny. I'm able to look from the outside and laugh at myself about it, though somewhat masochistically.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Sp/Sx: may use sex appeal to attain financial stability and comfort (think super model)
Sp/So: may use social graces to attain financial stability and comfort (think social climbing executive)
Sx/Sp: may use financial means to increase sex appeal (think cougar or sugar daddy)
Sx/So: may use social standing and status to increase sex appeal (think stereotypical alpha male)
So/Sp: may use their survival and financial means to benefit the group (think person is a position of service)
So/Sx: may use their sex appeal to gain social status and acceptance (think fraternities and sororities)

Silveresque

I always have a wall around me, even - no, especially when someone shows interest. Perhaps that's the difference between sp/sx and sx/sp. Any gutsy moves or daring ideas only play in my mind. I'm repressed to a fault. But I spend much of my time thinking about it. It's almost funny. I'm able to look from the outside and laugh at myself about it, though somewhat masochistically.

Same here. I could be sp/sx....or I could be sp/so or even so/sp.

My enneagram type makes it tricky, because I can't tell what comes from my basic desire and what comes from my instincts.

Fear of making mistakes/doing stupid things in front of people (which might be So) --> Fear of being disliked, of others (especially people I respect) having a low opinion of me --> Fear of loss of support (e6's basic fear)

So naturally a 6 is going to fear looking bad and losing support, whether so or sx. But I'm new to this whole 6 thing, so maybe I'm overlooking something? :shrug:

Vizzy

Enneagram
5w4
Sp/Sx: may use sex appeal to attain financial stability and comfort (think super model)
Sp/So: may use social graces to attain financial stability and comfort (think social climbing executive)
Sx/Sp: may use financial means to increase sex appeal (think cougar or sugar daddy)
Sx/So: may use social standing and status to increase sex appeal (think stereotypical alpha male)
So/Sp: may use their survival and financial means to benefit the group (think person is a position of service)
So/Sx: may use their sex appeal to gain social status and acceptance (think fraternities and sororities)
Correct me if I'm wrong, but your theory seems to be:
Instinct 1 = main concern/focus
Instinct 2 = comes naturally and acts as a means
I2 as a cushion or tool for coping with/attaining the desires/needs of I1.
By that formula, I'd be Sx/Sp.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Correct me if I'm wrong, but your theory seems to be:
Instinct 1 = main concern/focus
Instinct 2 = comes naturally and acts as a means
I2 as a tool for I1.
By that formula, I'd be Sx/Sp.

precisely

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

rav3n

This might be the only thing I agree with in this thread so far :laugh:

Maybe this is one of the best descriptions I've seen of instinctual subtypes.

http://www.ocean-moonshine.net/e142...d=27&PAGE_user_op=view_page&module=pagemaster
The linked site is excellent for explaining stackings on their own, as well as stackings associated to type. This is the e8 sx/sp with a view to 8w7 sx/sp. As with most descriptions, over-inflated but the underlying concepts are bang on!

Sexual/Self-pres

This subtype is a very charismatic. They have a very assertive energy and they demand attention. The lust of the Eight combines with the sexual instinct to make one of the most fiery of the combinations of all of the enneatypes, especially if Seven is the dominant wing. Sexual/self-pres Eights aren’t afraid to tell you what they think. The "can do" attitude that the other subtypes have is now intertwined with an outward passionate storm of energy. The sexual/self-pres Eight will be similar to the self-pres/sex Eight with respect to interests and attachment to close friends and family, but the intensity level is augmented. Since the sexual instinct is first, these Eights usually don't let an opportunity pass by to connect with those they find interesting. They can sense the power in any situation and they like to challenge people. They can enjoy making others react to them, keeping others on their toes, to find out what makes them tick. They are likely to use humor to accomplish this. When sex/self-pres Eights are unbalanced, they are very quick to anger and have a difficult time controlling their impulses.

Silveresque

Based on the general stacking descriptions on that site, sp/sx and so/sx are the ones that fit me best. Of the type 6 stackings, sp/so and so/sx fit best. Hmm...is it even possible for an so/sx to be extremely introverted?

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Maybe this is one of the best descriptions I've seen of instinctual subtypes.

http://www.ocean-moonshine.net/e142...d=27&PAGE_user_op=view_page&module=pagemaster
Yeah, but their type stackings are a bit off which makes me wary of their descriptions in general. Well their so/sp one definitely is anyway - it's over-simplified and so biased toward 8s and 1s. It was that description that had me convinced I couldn't be so/sp for a long time.

Based on the general stacking descriptions on that site, sp/sx and so/sx are the ones that fit me best. Of the type 6 stackings, sp/so and so/sx fit best. Hmm...is it even possible for an so/sx to be extremely introverted?
Honestly, you don't seem sx at all to me. Remember INFPs tend to have a intensity about them that resembles sx, which can confuse the issue.

I think you're likely to sp/so or so/sp.

VagrantFarce

The instincts don't determine behaviour, they only concern motives and needs. Again, you can be behaviourally anti-social but still have a dominant social instinct, or you can incredibly self-destructive but still have a dominant self-pres instinct, or you can be celibate but still have a dominant sexual instinct, etc.

Stop thinking in terms of "how do I act?", and start thinking in terms of "what drives me to do what I do?", and then think "why do I do it this way instead of that way?".

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

yes
- Michael Jackson: ISFP 4w3 So/Sx
- Tim Burton: IN?P 5w4 So/Sx
- Julia Roberts: INFP 6w5 So/Sx
- Edward Norton: INFJ 6w5 So/Sx
- Charlton Heston: ISTJ 8w9 So/Sx

the brunette in my avatar is also an INFP 1w2 So/Sx

G

Glycerine

hah. I am so definitely SP/SO that it hurts based on the things said.