• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Multiple Enneagram Subtypes/Instincts The relationship between the two most dominant instincts

VagrantFarce

(You accidentally put Viridian instead of Speed Gavroche as the writer of that quote.)
All right, would you mind answering the question I posed above? How can you tell that an apple an apple and when it is not? What is the difference between a non-sx who cherishes/is obsessed with his partner, and an sx-instinctual? Forget about Steve Jobs' real type...or any individual's. I'm interested in an all-encompassing explanation.

I don't know - I could be wrong, after all. :)

But the way he was obsessed with sex ("how many of you are virgins?"), his attention-grabbing nature, his need to "put a dent in the world"...I know the conclusion I've drawn isn't the only one, but it doesn't seem ridiculous to me.

Duzzat help any?

Maybe! I'll come back to you later, I have prior engagements. :)

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=5684]Elfboy[/MENTION]: Thanks for the vids! If it comes to 'vibes' in the vids, I think my INFP is more sp/sx-ish, which was what I originally typed him as. Then I realized that he can get very impulsive with money if it means -- so I think he could be sx/sp. Neither of the descriptions seem to fit, though...

Here are some points categorized according to the instincts if anyone could venture a guess :blush:

Sx
- Impulsive and occasionally gets obsessed with things (me when I'm around, video games, clothing, electronic devices, etc.) He seems to have amazing stamina when he's in an obsessive mood and can spend ten hours researching something online!
- Often jealous of other people I spend time with (not in a "you're cheating!" way, but just bothered by the attention I give to other people)
- Relationship wins over having friends

Sp
- Wants a comfortable, boring, safe life
- Low energy most of the time and likes an easy routine
- Is concerned about eating healthily
- Worries about imaginary health problems when under stress

So
- Gets paranoid about what strangers think of him
- Doesn't want to be considered 'weird' and wants to fit in (but feels he can't)

So, in his idea of a perfect life, he and I would be living together in a nice little place of our own, playing video games all day and ordering delivery.

I asked him once if he liked "highs and lows" or "steady okays", he thought about it a little and went with "highs and lows".

So, does this sound like sx/sp to you? :blush:

Sp/Sx

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I wouldn't stop you. :)

I'm still convinced Steve Jobs was a sexual type - sometimes an apple is an apple, y'know?

He's not sexual at all, he is a nerd and he is bureaucratic.

You know that someones is Sx-last when they are completely out of youch with their sensuality and when it is weird or even laughable to imagine them having sex, because it seems completely out of context with theses people. Steve J is like this. Do the experience, try to imagin Bill Gates or Larry King or Steve Jobs or Stalin or Ron Paul or Laura Bush having sex, and you'll see that it works.

Sx, at the opposite have an allure wich screams "SEX" always, wich screams "I want sex, I have sex, I need sex", and if you try to imagine them having sex, it's either stimulating or creepy. Do the experience, see Ann Coulter, Adolph Hitler, th ayatollah Khomeiny, Angelina Jolie, Courtney Love, Elvis Presley or Megan Fox and imagine them having sex, try also to imagine my avatar having sex, you, again, will see the result.

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't know - I could be wrong, after all. :)

But the way he was obsessed with sex ("how many of you are virgins?"), his attention-grabbing nature, his need to "put a dent in the world"...

But Sx-last often do this, Henry Kissinger said that power was a great aphrodisac, but he was Sp/So. Woody Allen talk about love and sex always, but he is Sp/So. All of this is just intelectual, a mind game, a mental process, not something instinctive. If Steve Jobs wanted attention and put a dent in the world, it because ha was So-dom, but he was not instinctively sexual at all.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

hhp

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
A question: does it still count as Sx-dom if you'd like above all to have intimate and close relationships, but you don't believe anymore that it's possible, because you mistrust people?

I suppose that instincts don't change over time, or do they?

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
A question: does it still count as Sx-dom if you'd like above all to have intimate and close relationships, but you don't believe anymore that it's possible, because you mistrust people?

I think that yes.

I suppose that instincts don't change over time, or do they?

I don't think they change, it's a survival strategy wich arises during the early chiildhood. I was ever Sx/So when i was 5.

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5

Thanks! Would you mind explaining a bit? I mean, I thought he was so sp/sx when we were together, but when we went long-distance he wanted to be together so much that he would spent his last dollar on plane tickets and in the end had to resort to living solely on credit for a month. That's something I would never imagine doing. I thought the sp instinct was to be safe (financially as well?) :huh:

I'm not challenging sp/sx. I just want to understand better. What would he be like if he were sx/sp?

Vizzy

Enneagram
5w4
But Sx-last often do this, Henry Kissinger said that power was a great aphrodisac, but he was Sp/So. Woody Allen talk about love and sex always, but he is Sp/So. All of this is just intelectual, a mind game, a mental process, not something instinctive. If Steve Jobs wanted attention and put a dent in the world, it because ha was So-dom, but he was not instinctively sexual at all.
How can you tell the difference? Can you clarify the difference?

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
How can you tell the difference? Can you clarify the difference?

I've ever done it.

You know that someones is Sx-last when they are completely out of youch with their sensuality and when it is weird or even laughable to imagine them having sex, because it seems completely out of context with theses people. Steve J is like this. Do the experience, try to imagin Bill Gates or Larry King or Steve Jobs or Stalin or Ron Paul or Laura Bush having sex, and you'll see that it works.

Sx, at the opposite have an allure wich screams "SEX" always, wich screams "I want sex, I have sex, I need sex", and if you try to imagine them having sex, it's either stimulating or creepy. Do the experience, see Ann Coulter, Adolph Hitler, th ayatollah Khomeiny, Angelina Jolie, Courtney Love, Elvis Presley or Megan Fox and imagine them having sex, try also to imagine my avatar having sex, you, again, will see the result.

Vizzy

Enneagram
5w4

What about when the sx instinct is not focused on people?
Or when the person is very much aware and influenced by the sx instinct...but becomes a prude rather than some sex-maniac?

For example, who would be the more sx-instinctual out of these two? Using sx as an example, the 'positive' side of the scale would = being outwardly and confidently sexual, whereas the 'negative' side would = being totally aware yet scared of intimacy. Does it matter which side a person leans?
(The lower the points, the less influence that instinct has on a person.)

instinct.jpg

Might not be the correct way of looking at the instincts, but it's one way...or illustrates part of the puzzle, at least.

VagrantFarce

Not to be dismissive of your thoughts, but the more I encounter stackings, the more I think how much they just obfuscate and over-complicate the issue and don't help illustrate a god-damned thing. "Dude is obsessed with sex and love and allure and intimacy, but he can't be sx-dom because he isn't sexy." :BangHead:

It's like when people say they can't be so-dom because they don't like networking - it makes no difference. How do you see the world? What colours it? Where does your attention go? I feel these are better indicators of your instinct. Being a neurotic mess about it doesn't change anything, in my opinion - it just means you're not fulfilling your own needs constructively, and that you probably harbour some nasty resentments about them.

And I think you need to get away from the word "instinct", since it's a fairly arbitrary one in this case - there's no mind/body split being illustrated here. I feel the instincts are more suffused and all-encompassing than that.

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
So, [MENTION=5632]VagrantFarce[/MENTION], do you have any thoughts about my description?

If you don't, that's fine, I was just curious. :blush:

VagrantFarce

So, [MENTION=5632]VagrantFarce[/MENTION], do you have any thoughts about my description?

If you don't, that's fine, I was just curious. :blush:

I did read it, but the most I could infer was that you're introverted & shy and have trouble asserting yourself and being confident. That's the most I can honestly infer without reading too much into it. If I were to guess I'd say 5 or 9, and the difference there would be how much "fear" plays into your general experience of life, but I don't know if that would really help you.

I doubt this is the response you were hoping for, but a good remedy for that sort of things you're describing is exercise. :) It genuinely works, take it from me - getting out of your head and into your body makes you much more aware and in command of your own physical presence, which in turn will make it easier for you to be more assertive and be more comfortable around other people. Believe me, the more in touch with your own physical presence you become, the less self-conscious you'll be.

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
I did read it, but the most I could infer was that you're introverted & shy and have trouble asserting yourself and being confident. That's the most I can honestly infer without reading too much into it. If I were to guess I'd say 5 or 9, and the difference there would be how much "fear" plays into your general experience of life, but I don't know if that would really help you.

I doubt this is the response you were hoping for, but a good remedy for that sort of things you're describing is exercise. :) It genuinely works, take it from me - getting out of your head and into your body makes you much more aware and in command of your own physical presence, which in turn will make it easier for you to be more assertive and be more comfortable around other people. Believe me, the more in touch with your own physical presence you become, the less self-conscious you'll be.

Thanks! :) I do exercise, partly due to my posture and partly due to having a bit of a belly. My personal trainer also wants me to change my dietary habits. Oof! :pumpyouup:

Funny, I kinda thought you'd say I was a Six, looking back on that description. :D

If you have any suggestions for questions that might help me figure out my subtype, I'd appreciate it! :yes:

VagrantFarce

Thanks! :) I do exercise, partly due to my posture and partly due to having a bit of a belly. My personal trainer also wants me to change my dietary habits. Oof! :pumpyouup:

Funny, I kinda thought you'd say I was a Six, looking back on that description. :D

If you have any suggestions for questions that might help me figure out my subtype, I'd appreciate it! :yes:

Just consider your own needs - where do you place your stakes in life? What's good for you? Even if you don't figure out your subtype, you'll be better off regardless having identified what you really need to get out of life. :)

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
Just consider your own needs - where do you place your stakes in life? What's good for you? Even if you don't figure out your subtype, you'll be better off regardless having identified what you really need to get out of life. :)

That's hard to pinpoint - I'm still in college, dreading the prospect of adulthood and questioning my career decision, so I kind of minimize my expressed needs in order to get used to disappointment and sacrifice. I'm kind of a spoiled brat. ;)

Could you elaborate on the "placing my stakes" question? I'm not sure I understand it. :thinking:

VagrantFarce

That's hard to pinpoint - I'm still in college, dreading the prospect of adulthood and questioning my career decision, so I kind of minimize my expressed needs in order to get used to disappointment and sacrifice. I'm kind of a spoiled brat. ;)

Could you elaborate on the "placing my stakes" question? I'm not sure I understand it. :thinking:

It just means where your attention and enthusiasm goes. Just follow that as much as you can. :)

Silveresque

[MENTION=12223]Viridian[/MENTION], I think your post earlier sounded the most like 9, then 6, and then 5 in that order. I wish I could be more helpful, but I'm honestly not sure how to tell the difference between a 9 and a 6 at this point. They can start to look identical in the average levels.

Hmm...Well how about this: What makes you feel secure?