• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Multiple Enneagram Subtypes/Instincts Another look at the instincts

wolfy

awsm
I've thought of myself as sp/sx but reading this I relate to sx first then sp. So is the one I could give up if I had to and sx is the one I would do if I could only do one.

B

brainheart

Fixed! :biggrin:

(Just saying what I read, miss. :hug:)

Well.. Yes. But the sp likes pretty houses and nice cognac and then overdoses on drugs or commits suicide, the so becomes famous and then becomes a weird hermit who completely reconstructs his face, while the sx is on the constant prowl for a soul mate then turns into a psycho stalker, so..

Um. Never mind...

(and yes, I hate to admit but I've been a psycho stalker..)

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well.. Yes. But the sp likes pretty houses and nice cognac and then overdoses on drugs or commits suicide, the so becomes famous and then becomes a weird hermit who completely reconstructs his face

Actually, that describes behavior of a lot of Sx/So.

B

brainheart

Actually, that describes behavior of a lot of Sx/So.

Sorry, I was thinking of all the suicide committing 4w5 sp/sx from your list
And so/sx 4w3 michael jackson. It was a gross overgeneralization. But shit across the board 4 sx sounds like they've never had a regular day in their life.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well.. Yes. But the sp likes pretty houses and nice cognac and then overdoses on drugs or commits suicide, the so becomes famous and then becomes a weird hermit who completely reconstructs his face, while the sx is on the constant prowl for a soul mate then turns into a psycho stalker, so..

Um. Never mind...

(and yes, I hate to admit but I've been a psycho stalker..)

I'm definitely an sp/sx if this is the case. :D

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
After reading this, I am once again confused on my instinct.

I don't identify much with any of them in the summary table. I strongly identify with a desire to leave a legacy part in the transmitting description but nothing else in the transmitting section fits me. In the preservation description, I care about environments feeling 'healthy' and preserving resources but not about things like heirlooms. I also don't care much about nesting and nurturing. In the navigating description, only the map reading part fits.

I suppose preservation is the best overall fit going by the leadership section.

And why is is that the article suggests only certain orders are possible:

SP/SO/SX but not SP/SX/SO?
SO/SX/SP but not SO/SP/SX?
SX/SP/SO but not SX/SO/SP?

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i don't feel any of them strongly but if i had to pick i guess i'd say sx/sp or preservation/ transmitting. i don't care for the descriptions tho.

B

brainheart

I think I like these descriptions the best:

"Self-preservation variant People of the self-preservation variant are generally trying to be comfortable and independent. Their well-being is very important to them, so they pay much attention to their health, house and financial position. They are less interested in interpersonal contact, and are typically less spontaneous and don't show as much emotion as people of the other two subtypes of their enneagram type.

Sexual variant People of the sexual variant are very much interested in one to one contacts. They are looking for intimacy and this may show in sexuality, though not necessarily. Being in a relationship is very important to them. They are the most passionate of the subtypes, being temperamental and having more energy. They have less of a problem with getting into a fight and care less about rules and responsibility.

Social Variant People of the social variant prefer to be in groups or teams. They are more interested than the other subtypes in the position that they and others have in a group, and are consequently concerned with status. Wanting to be accepted, they try to fit in and be nice."

From http://www.eclecticenergies.com/enneagram/variants.php

Silveresque

I think I like these descriptions the best:

"Self-preservation variant People of the self-preservation variant are generally trying to be comfortable and independent. Their well-being is very important to them, so they pay much attention to their health, house and financial position. They are less interested in interpersonal contact, and are typically less spontaneous and don't show as much emotion as people of the other two subtypes of their enneagram type.

Sexual variant People of the sexual variant are very much interested in one to one contacts. They are looking for intimacy and this may show in sexuality, though not necessarily. Being in a relationship is very important to them. They are the most passionate of the subtypes, being temperamental and having more energy. They have less of a problem with getting into a fight and care less about rules and responsibility.

Social Variant People of the social variant prefer to be in groups or teams. They are more interested than the other subtypes in the position that they and others have in a group, and are consequently concerned with status. Wanting to be accepted, they try to fit in and be nice."

From http://www.eclecticenergies.com/enneagram/variants.php

I like those descriptions. Based on those I'm Sp/So.

Chiharu

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I definitely relate to SX. But from this I would think I was sx/so rather than sx/sp.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So where did they come up with those three instincts, and are they comprehensive... i.e., do they cover all the ground between themselves?

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don’t relate much to the description for sp linked in the op, though I usually relate to sp descriptions fairly well. It throws me a little when sp variant is so strongly tied to physical safety/comfort/well-being. I wish paying attention to my physical/material security was inherently more important to me, because I have to struggle to make it a priority. If I were to type myself according to the descriptions linked, I’d probably go with sx/so- and that stacking isn’t even an option according to the linked page (‘transmission’ necessarily has ‘preservation’ as its aux). Plus, I don’t relate to sx/so descriptions from others sites anywhere near as well as I relate to the sp/sx ones.

Jennifer said:
do they cover all the ground between themselves?

This was one of my first thoughts in reading them, mainly because none of them resonated very well with me personally.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
N/m, I see you're talking about the OP.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don’t relate much to the description for sp linked in the op, though I usually relate to sp descriptions fairly well. It throws me a little when sp variant is so strongly tied to physical safety/comfort/well-being. I wish paying attention to my physical/material security was inherently more important to me, because I have to struggle to make it a priority. If I were to type myself according to the descriptions linked, I’d probably go with sx/so- and that stacking isn’t even an option according to the linked page (‘transmission’ necessarily has ‘preservation’ as its aux). Plus, I don’t relate to sx/so descriptions from others sites anywhere near as well as I relate to the sp/sx ones.

http://ocean-moonshine.net/e1428573...er_op=view_page&PAGE_id=33&MMN_position=86:80
Sexual/social

This subtype is the most dramatic of the instinctual stackings of type Five. They are less concerned than the social/sexual subtype with social rejection, but take rejection from intimates very much to heart. They have a strong desire to express themselves, and can be the most Four-like of all the instinctual subtypes of type Five.

Not only do they have a strong desire to merge with a significant other, they also want to make their mark in the larger social sphere. The intensity, aggression, counterphobic stance and desire to connect deeply, all combine with the social instinct to produce a highly charged personality. This subtype can become quite accomplished if they are able to form an intimate connection with someone who will help ground them and provide them with a feeling of security. When Fives of this subtype feel a sense of safety due to healthy intimate relationships, they will want to share whatever knowledge, talent or insight they may have.

When unhealthy, this subtype can be very dark, pessimistic and the most confrontational of all the subtypes of Five. They can also become very arrogant.