• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[so] Understanding the Social Instinct

Hazashin

Secret Sex Freak
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So-last can be image concious, but their primal instinctive energy is not lead by that, despite they can do action lead by their worry about reputation.

So if there is a concern for how you look to others, then So has to be in either first or second place?

Silveresque

So if there is a concern for how you look to others, then So has to be in either first or second place?

I don't think so. I'm definitely So last based on what I've read in this thread, but even I care about what others think of me. I suspect maybe the difference lies in that I have no desire for popularity, I just don't want people to think I'm an idiot or a weirdo.

Hazashin

Secret Sex Freak
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't think so. I'm definitely So last based on what I've read in this thread, but even I care about what others think of me. I suspect maybe the difference lies in that I have no desire for popularity, I just don't want people to think I'm an idiot or a weirdo.

That's sort of how I feel, only it's not that distinct. My ego is just fragile in that my feelings get hurt easily if I come to find out people think negatively of me. I suppose the one that gets to me the most is "loser"... :(

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Some So last can care about popularity, but it's simply not where their instinctive energy primary goes.

Hazashin

Secret Sex Freak
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Some So last can care about popularity, but it's simply not where their instinctive energy primary goes.

How are you supposed to determine your "primary instinctive energy"?

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I guess what I'm trying to say is, what is the behavior like for each primary instinct?

sp/soc: The most straightfoward in language, with relatively little trills and embellishments. Points made directly and from personal experience. Business-like. Clear. Cynical. Lacking in internal experience compared to other stackings.

sp/sx: Comes out as somewhat heavy and gloomy, or cool and detached. Often gives out a suffocating and insular vibe, as if their internal world is wrapped around by an impermeable membrane. Strong sensory impressions designed to awake sexuality. Makes one want to linger on one or two lines forever.

soc/sp: Tangential. Lots of details and analysis. Very in-their-head and intellectual, and lacks sensuality. Comes across as level-headed and unspontaneous, but also with personal warmth. Their written works often require a great deal of mental concentration from the readers.

soc/sx: The word "fantastical" comes to mind. Lots of virtuosity and trills, and often removed from the real world. One is whirled away by the dazzling fairies of their colorful imagination. Can be too rich in imagery for their own good. Sustained dramatic power due to their knowledge of interpersonal dynamics.

sx/sp: Intense, often a stab-in-the-chest sensation, leaving me in tears without knowing why. Fantastical but much more concentrated in a few inner images. Can be abstract, animating dead objects into their field of contemplation. Embodiment of another human, thing, or idea is common in their writings.

sx/soc: My impression of their writing is "fire-and-ice", as if one is to experience the extremes of heat and coldness at the same time. Often abstract, spilling one inner vision after another like a dream-sequence. Seems particularly in touch with the core meaning of life and death.

Silveresque

sx/sp: Intense, often a stab-in-the-chest sensation, leaving me in tears without knowing why. Fantastical but much more concentrated in a few inner images. Can be abstract, animating dead objects into their field of contemplation. Embodiment of another human, thing, or idea is common in their writings.

I don't relate to this description at all. I think the actual behavior of the instinctual stacking varies by type. A five sx/sp wouldn't be as intense or aggressive compared with some other types, so maybe the way to find your instinctual variant is to read the descriptions that are specifically for your type.

Hazashin

Secret Sex Freak
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
sp/soc: The most straightfoward in language, with relatively little trills and embellishments. Points made directly and from personal experience. Business-like. Clear. Cynical. Lacking in internal experience compared to other stackings.

sp/sx: Comes out as somewhat heavy and gloomy, or cool and detached. Often gives out a suffocating and insular vibe, as if their internal world is wrapped around by an impermeable membrane. Strong sensory impressions designed to awake sexuality. Makes one want to linger on one or two lines forever.

soc/sp: Tangential. Lots of details and analysis. Very in-their-head and intellectual, and lacks sensuality. Comes across as level-headed and unspontaneous, but also with personal warmth. Their written works often require a great deal of mental concentration from the readers.

soc/sx: The word "fantastical" comes to mind. Lots of virtuosity and trills, and often removed from the real world. One is whirled away by the dazzling fairies of their colorful imagination. Can be too rich in imagery for their own good. Sustained dramatic power due to their knowledge of interpersonal dynamics.

sx/soc: My impression of their writing is "fire-and-ice", as if one is to experience the extremes of heat and coldness at the same time. Often abstract, spilling one inner vision after another like a dream-sequence. Seems particularly in touch with the core meaning of life and death.

Based on these, I'd probably say I'm most like Sp/Sx, and definitely not Sx last.

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't relate to this description at all. I think the actual behavior of the instinctual stacking varies by type. A five sx/sp wouldn't be as intense or aggressive compared with some other types, so maybe the way to find your instinctual variant is to read the descriptions that are specifically for your type.

The description did'nt say that Sx/Sp are especially agressives, and I can guarantee yu that Sx/Sp 5 are like it is described above.

Silveresque

The description did'nt say that Sx/Sp are especially agressives, and I can guarantee yu that Sx/Sp 5 are like it is described above.

If you're right, then I'm not an sx/sp, I'm an sp/sx. Come to think of it, sp/sx does fit me pretty well, so I may have to change my type.

B

brainheart

It'd be cool to have actual little writing samples for each instinctual stacking.

My deal is I feel I have a pretty versatile style, depending on what pov I'm wanting to come from. But here's a sample written a couple weeks ago from my stream of conscious heart-

Getting drunk on my feeling the wind shakes the leaves lying on my bed am I alive or dead? Not sure that it matters, I'm figuring out. My comatose brain breathes in ammonia leaking catatonia bang my head on the underneath of the desk hiding in my earthen watery grave. No one will be saved from the life of a sailor endless voyages to nowhere drowning on my oxygen taken in invisible, shallow bursts. Why should I care? I don't I don't. Give me wine, stumbling alone 2am on an empty street. I don't give a damn, if they want to take me, let ' em, on the bed in my old room, settled in the coats, waiting for anyone. Some of us want to be corrupted, why? Punishment for what sin? Or pleasure, blind skin shearing oblivion? Take my scalp, sew down my eyelids, I won't fight anymore. I have no need for this cover, it only holds in the nothingness which claims to be me. I have no soul. No goals. My heart is coal shoals. Why am I unable to grasp my sanctity? Why so elusive? Does anyone see it, feel it, if so.. The grass lays claim to the earth below.

(there's more but that's probably enough)

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It'd be cool to have actual little writing samples for each instinctual stacking.

My deal is I feel I have a pretty versatile style, depending on what pov I'm wanting to come from. But here's a sample written a couple weeks ago from my stream of conscious heart-

Getting drunk on my feeling the wind shakes the leaves lying on my bed am I alive or dead? Not sure that it matters, I'm figuring out. My comatose brain breathes in ammonia leaking catatonia bang my head on the underneath of the desk hiding in my earthen watery grave. No one will be saved from the life of a sailor endless voyages to nowhere drowning on my oxygen taken in invisible, shallow bursts. Why should I care? I don't I don't. Give me wine, stumbling alone 2am on an empty street. I don't give a damn, if they want to take me, let ' em, on the bed in my old room, settled in the coats, waiting for anyone. Some of us want to be corrupted, why? Punishment for what sin? Or pleasure, blind skin shearing oblivion? Take my scalp, sew down my eyelids, I won't fight anymore. I have no need for this cover, it only holds in the nothingness which claims to be me. I have no soul. No goals. My heart is coal shoals. Why am I unable to grasp my sanctity? Why so elusive? Does anyone see it, feel it, if so.. The grass lays claim to the earth below.

(there's more but that's probably enough)

hardly grounds to type you, but mostly what I get from this passage is 4w5.

B

brainheart

I'm not looking to be typed, I know my type. What is grounds, then, according to speeds definitions?

How about he posts some samples...

VagrantFarce

I guess what I'm trying to say is, what is the behavior like for each primary instinct?

The instincts are like "radars" - they describe what your attention is intuitively, subconsciously drawn to.

• Social types are aware of their position and value (or lack thereof) to groups of people; low self-esteem can lead to an inflated preoccupation with social status and prestige.
  • Sexual types are aware of their connection and desirability (or lack thereof) to particular individuals; low self-esteem can lead to an inflated preoccupation with intimacy and allure.
  • Self-preservation types are aware of their own sense of comfort and security (or lack thereof); low self-esteem can lead to an inflated preoccupation with health and familiarity.

The stackings are just combinations of these three radars. :)

B

brainheart

The instincts are like "radars" - they describe what your attention is intuitively, subconsciously drawn to.

• Social types are aware of their position and value (or lack thereof) to groups of people; low self-esteem can lead to an inflated preoccupation with social status and prestige.
  • Sexual types are aware of their connection and desirability (or lack thereof) to particular individuals; low self-esteem can lead to an inflated preoccupation with intimacy and allure.
  • Self-preservation types are aware of their own sense of comfort and security (or lack thereof); low self-esteem can lead to an inflated preoccupation with health and familiarity.

This seems to be the better way to figure it out-

Hazashin

Secret Sex Freak
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Going by this, it's difficult to say.

Social: I don't really have social awareness in the broad sense of the word, but I do know that I'm generally a social outcast. I am not socially proactive and most people don't bother to get to know me, which is why I have a small number a friends, and the out of the friends I do have, I would say about 95% of them approached me first. Would that count as social awareness? Either way, I don't think I'm really concerned with how I am viewed by society as a whole and my status in it; rather, I am concerned with whether or not people within the society think poorly of me as a person. I guess you could say that I don't really care about attaining high social status or popularity, I care about if people think of me as a bad person. I hope I'm making sense...

Sexual: I wouldn't say that I'm that aware of my connection and desirability amongst individuals, but I would say that I'm generally not attractive and desirable (though my low self-esteem may skew this opinion). I've been told numerous times by different people (and I've heard from other people) that I'm not attractive, both personality-wise and appearance-wise. Nor have girls bothered to talk to me (which is why most of my friends are guys), and I've never had a girlfriend. I would say that my lack of a partner over the years and my failures with biggest crushes over the years has left me crushed more than anything else, but, although I mope and cry over this, I don't do much about it -- half because I think it's no use, half because I'm too lazy and uncomfortable to commit myself to making myself more sexually attractive. Does that still count?

Self-preservation: This one's a little tricky. This instinct is very similar to the Type 6 personality -- the type that I have presumed myself to be. The reason why I've presumed myself to be a Type 6 is because I have a lot of dependency tendencies, I am unsure of myself and how I will handle inevitable problems, and I'm afraid of doing the wrong thing. But the part about a Type 6 that I don't relate to that well (as well as counterphobic-ness) is its desire for "comfort" and "security". What does that mean, exactly? Because really I don't care much at all about making sure that I am making a nice living, that I have a nice house, or that I'm in good physical health (though I don't like endangering my body to being harmed), etc. What I really want is to live a nice life, have a really nice intimate/romantic relationship with someone that I really love and whom I can relax with, have and develop great friendships with some great friends, and enjoy all of life's simplicities without getting too involved in it's complexities. In three words: peaceful, pleasant, and passionate.

:yes:

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Going by this, it's difficult to say.

Social: I don't really have social awareness in the broad sense of the word, but I do know that I'm generally a social outcast. I am not socially proactive and most people don't bother to get to know me, which is why I have a small number a friends, and the out of the friends I do have, I would say about 95% of them approached me first. Would that count as social awareness? Either way, I don't think I'm really concerned with how I am viewed by society as a whole and my status in it; rather, I am concerned with whether or not people within the society think poorly of me as a person. I guess you could say that I don't really care about attaining high social status or popularity, I care about if people think of me as a bad person. I hope I'm making sense...

Sexual: I wouldn't say that I'm that aware of my connection and desirability amongst individuals, but I would say that I'm generally not attractive and desirable (though my low self-esteem may skew this opinion). I've been told numerous times by different people (and I've heard from other people) that I'm not attractive, both personality-wise and appearance-wise. Nor have girls bothered to talk to me (which is why most of my friends are guys), and I've never had a girlfriend. I would say that my lack of a partner over the years and my failures with biggest crushes over the years has left me crushed more than anything else, but, although I mope and cry over this, I don't do much about it -- half because I think it's no use, half because I'm too lazy and uncomfortable to commit myself to making myself more sexually attractive. Does that still count?
Self-preservation: This one's a little tricky. This instinct is very similar to the Type 6 personality -- the type that I have presumed myself to be. The reason why I've presumed myself to be a Type 6 is because I have a lot of dependency tendencies, I am unsure of myself and how I will handle inevitable problems, and I'm afraid of doing the wrong thing. But the part about a Type 6 that I don't relate to that well (as well as counterphobic-ness) is its desire for "comfort" and "security". What does that mean, exactly? Because really I don't care much at all about making sure that I am making a nice living, that I have a nice house, or that I'm in good physical health (though I don't like endangering my body to being harmed), etc. What I really want is to live a nice life, have a really nice intimate/romantic relationship with someone that I really love and whom I can relax with, have and develop great friendships with some great friends, and enjoy all of life's simplicities without getting too involved in it's complexities. In three words: peaceful, pleasant, and passionate.

:yes:

this has nothing to do with being Sx