• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[sp] You know you're self preservation when

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I see self-preservation as more about protecting my energy and personal space. Money and physical safety are important, but more as necessary conditions for the first two. Attacks on my physical person are an egregious invasion of personal space. Having money allows me to live away from lesser intrusions, and to outfit my dwelling for efficient living.

Being sp-dom does not imply having no concern for others. In fact, the energy I carefully manage by keeping most of the world at a distance is often employed to help others, or in activities of mutual benefit, like my work responsibilities. I am not sure any act is truely selfless, though, for even when helping others, we are usually promoting our own principles and values.

I agree with that.

Never mind self interest or money or physical things, they change based on circumstance, the one thing that my Sp tendencies are always working to conserve is energy.

For ENTP E7s the natural way of being is to exert and expand energy outwards but for me the Sp instinct plays interference with that and always holds something back "just in case", the two reasons I'm aware of for that are remaining independent and self sufficient at all times, and the concern that I may need it for something else, what happens if I expend all I have and then need it? I can be generous, I can go without physical belongings, I care more about people than how their actions impact on me most of the time but I can't give away all of my energy.

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I frequently get told I think of others ahead of myself too much...and if I feel threatened or endangered in some respect my first thought tends to be "my folks will be so upset if something happens to me..." ...and I'm still pretty sure I'm sp-first, so these don't seem very relevant...

I've never seen it suggested (before now!) that being sp-first means a total disinterest in altruism. Sx-first certainly doesn't automatically suggest an interest in altruism, and I don't think so-first is the only variant which allows for altruism!

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
- your parents die and your first thoughts are "how am I going to survive now. how soon do I get my inheritance money so I can get back to my current lifestyle" even if you did love your parents and are sad that they're dead
- the idea of altruism (placing the needs of others before your own) is quite puzzling to you
- you're willing to do socially unacceptable things to get money and survive
- your friend dies of a drug overdose and your first thoughts are "I need to find a way to get rid of the body so the police don't link the drugs to me" you will mourn his loss once you are out of harms way legally
- when asked why you didn't join the military, your response was "well, I don't want to die" (no disrespect to people who are in the military, but it's sho as hell not something I would do)
- if you are forced into the military via draft, you disert. patriotism is one thing, dying for your country is something else entirely
- you would never fight someone head on unless you were cornered or had proper training in advance. if someone offends you enough for you to want to inflict harm on them, you sneak up on them and use a weapon of some sort
- getting financially stable is your number 1 priority

Can't relate. I think this is a bit harsh.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
your parents die and your first thoughts are "how am I going to survive now. how soon do I get my inheritance money so I can get back to my current lifestyle" even if you did love your parents and are sad that they're dead

I would never think of inheritance money if my mom died. I wouldn't even want to look at it. My only selfish concern in this case would be the loss of a major social support. My mother has nothing to do with my finances to begin with, though.

- the idea of altruism (placing the needs of others before your own) is quite puzzling to you

Yea, this one I mildly relate to. I am very good to others, but need to put my own needs first before I am up to taking care of others.

If you mean like, go to college and obtain a good paying career, yes.

- your friend dies of a drug overdose and your first thoughts are "I need to find a way to get rid of the body so the police don't link the drugs to me" you will mourn his loss once you are out of harms way legally

Uh. I don't think I'd be in a situation like that. If my friend died of an OD, it wouldn't be my fault, that's for sure.

- when asked why you didn't join the military, your response was "well, I don't want to die" (no disrespect to people who are in the military, but it's sho as hell not something I would do)

Ha, yea, actually. :D

- if you are forced into the military via draft, you disert. patriotism is one thing, dying for your country is something else entirely
No, I would just grin and bear it. I figure my aversion to fighting has more to do with having a good dose of 9ness than being sp.

- you would never fight someone head on unless you were cornered or had proper training in advance. if someone offends you enough for you to want to inflict harm on them, you sneak up on them and use a weapon of some sort

True. Another situation I can't see myself in though. I would only fight for self defense.

Yea, it's way up there on my priority list.

This is all money and safety focused. Everyone needs safety and a roof over their head though. It's a Maslow hierarchy thing.

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
your friend dies of a drug overdose and your first thoughts are "I need to find a way to get rid of the body so the police don't link the drugs to me" you will mourn his loss once you are out of harms way legally
Brings back so many memories... :ninja:

Well actually, it reminds me of when one of my best friends killed himself, and I didn't answer my new co-workers' questions, "How did he die?" partly because I was afraid of the image it would paint of me, being "best friends" with people who'd had such problems.

I know that's not fair. Forgive me...

On the other hand, I wasn't about to go back to his house and take back the stuff I loaned him, as some suggested at the time. I didn't want to go anywhere near that house (the site of his death, specifically his room).

G

Glycerine

To the OP: WTF!?!? You always amaze me.

EDIT: ok reading through the whole thread I understand the intent.

Being SP makes it so that I am really hard to get to know. It's like pulling teeth. People get to know me on my OWN terms. My best friend doesn't know much about me but more than most. I think I even sometimes try to mislead people so they can't get to know me. Ironically, I am usually fairly blunt and honest. If someone tries to control me against my will, I make their life a living hell until they stop. I absolutely HATE being controlled. That is what SP dom is to me.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Yes, I know some of these will be rather stereotypical and biased but this is all in good humor:

You're always commenting on how comfortable the chairs are.

Someone asks you how the meeting went and you respond by saying "the room was too hot/cold"

You'd rather have a job that promised long term financial security even if you personally didn't enjoy it over one you find personally fulfilling but offered very poor financial security.

You have subscriptions to Health, Prevention, and Money.

You get really peeved when you're forced to deviate from your exercise routine.

You can't understand why people don't care about eating healthy. Okay, you know that some of the junk food does taste good but to you it just isn't worth it.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yes, I know some of these will be rather stereotypical and biased but this is all in good humor:

Someone asks you how the meeting went and you respond by saying "the room was too hot/cold"

You'd rather have a job that promised long term financial security even if you personally didn't enjoy it over one you find personally fulfilling but offered very poor financial security.

You can't understand why people don't care about eating healthy. Okay, you know that some of the junk food does taste good but to you it just isn't worth it.

hahahahahahaha. These are cute. (well, because they're mostly true!! :D) The bolded is the funniest! Except you can change "the exercise routine" to a whole lot of stuff. "The coffee routine, the waking up routine, the meal routine, the money organizing strategy..."

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm actually pretty messy and don't take very good care of myself in terms of food and exercise. But...my apartment reminds me of a nest. Stuff I like scattered about everywhere. And I've noticed that I create a nest wherever I go. I was out and about yesterday and found a nice bench to read etc on for a while and within moments of sitting down I had my stuff spread out around me.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

I can relate to the bolded ones.

(see, it is possible to make funny generalizations without crossing the line into calling SP-doms sociopathic robots...)

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Let's rework this, I feel this isn't accurate....

- your parents die and your first thoughts are "how am I going to survive now. how soon do I get my inheritance money so I can get back to my current lifestyle" even if you did love your parents and are sad that they're dead

Actually, when your parents die, and your first thoughts are to get quickly to business to help prepare for their funeral... whilst in private, you go through an existential crisis questioning if you will suffer the same fate as your parents... and you go into high gear survival mode... you have to keep yourself healthy, and avoid getting into accidents.

The idea of altruism doesn't puzzle you, rather you feel it is necessary for the survival and continuation of your own species, and you look towards the idea of altruism as a way to increase your own likelihood of survival in the world.

Not always stuff that is outlandish though. But you put a priority towards home, family, work, and food above going out to socialize and party.

Actually, you end up doing the right thing by notifying the police and other legal authorities that your friend died of a drug overdose. Do the right thing, even if you are standing alone.

Or you don't even mention about joining the military altogether. It's none of anybody's business why you would or wouldn't join. :)

Sometimes, but not all the time. Rather, you'd end up opting for the safest rank, as far away from enemy fire as possible. You'd rather voluntarily become a nurse, medic, or part of the M*A*S*H unit... or join the Peace Corps.

You wouldn't use weapons, period. Rather, you'd stay clear and far away from someone who offends you. If you need to fight, you'd do it ONLY if your life was in clear and present danger.

Getting financially stable is ONE of your top priorities.

Nicodemus

More or less, yes.

G

Ginkgo

elfboy- you use way too many stereotypes and paint with a spray gun where a very fine brush should be required... every time you start a thread like this you just end up getting a bunch of negative reactions. You'd think, as a self typed primary Ne user, that you'd be able to connect the dots :newwink:

:laugh:

G

Ginkgo

Reaction to thread amuses me. I'm thinking the reaction is due to personal feelings about Elfboy, which are easily encouraged by the agency of anti-stereotypical self-preservation. :newwink: To me, it's obvious the OP was in jest, and loosely based on stereotype. While the consequences of the thread are significant, so are the intentions of the person opening the floor for the conversation.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Reaction to thread amuses me. I'm thinking the reaction is due to personal feelings about Elfboy, which are easily encouraged by the agency of anti-stereotypical self-preservation. :newwink: To me, it's obvious the OP was in jest, and loosely based on stereotype. While the consequences of the thread are significant, so are the intentions of the person opening the floor for the conversation.

First of all, stereotypes are funnier when they're mildly accurate.

Secondly, I DON'T DO ANY OF THE ABOVE AND NEITHER DOES ELFBOY!!!!!!!!!!! STOP THREATENING ME!

A

Anew Leaf

Or:

You may be SP-aux if your first reaction to this thread was to reach for your secret stash of cyanide pills.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Or:

You may be SP-aux if your first reaction to this thread was to reach for your secret stash of cyanide pills.

I need to hide those cyanide pills from you. Also, missed you! :hug:

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
First of all, stereotypes are funnier when they're mildly accurate.

Secondly, I DON'T DO ANY OF THE ABOVE AND NEITHER DOES ELFBOY!!!!!!!!!!! STOP THREATENING ME!

haha, I get it...

Lightyear

Again, cannot relate to these.

Though I am pretty sure I am sp-dom, I can completely relate to not letting people close because I need to preserve my energy and letting people get to know me on MY terms.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

my response is about the same. the puzzlingly negative emotions I seem to evoke from people make me chuckle to myself