• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[sp] Sp and hoarding?

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I used to hoard things when I was younger, it was peculiar though. My hoard was a combination of useful items, and "pretty items" that maybe a crow would collect. Such as stones, metal jewelry peices, bones etc. I would eventually get enough peices to construct my own jewelry that Id wear. Such things included animal bones, cat's eye beads on fishingwire etc. Or id make some witch ass looking windchimes. It complimented my tool stash well.

As I got older, I threw it all away and never looked back.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Sp and I think I'm an anti-hoarder.

Chad of the OttomanEmpire

Give me a fourth dot.
MBTI Type
NeTi
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I've heard hoarding correlated with SP in more than one place. With all due respect to those ideas, I think it is a little more complex than that.

My father was a hoarder. I mean you could have put him on a TV program. It took me years to finish cleaning out his house after his death. He saved everything...every newspaper, personal document, book, soap, medicine, piece of furniture, electronic good imaginable. Most of it was literally--I mean LITERALLY--old junk. He was also chronically short of domestic knowledge, so the house is falling apart in many ways that I can't afford to fix.

But the guy was a sx/soc 6w5. Archetypally sp-last. ENTP.

I actually see his hoarding as Ne/Si-related--Hey, I might be able to use this. Hey, I might need this in the future. Hey, I could make something out of this. Hey, I could use this in my work. Seeing multiple uses for one object. Ideas. Potentials. I'm not saying every Ne/Si-user does this (I don't. I get rid of things so they don't hold me down). I'm just saying that I think there's more to it than just sp-related accumulation. I'm sure there are varied reasons for hoarding, and being sp-first is only ONE of them.

Also, it's worth noting that self pres can just as equally want simplicity and minimalism. There can be a paring down and an emphasis on the basics, rather than a need to accumulate more stuff.

Sacrophagus

Mastermind Fieldmarshal
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
I have a room full of tools and apparatuses that I use and might use in case I needed to fix something myself or in any other emergency.

We are utilitarian in some areas, but we also have a "Get rid of the old, and make place for the new" policy in other areas.
In case anything is in abundance we either donate it depending on its state, or get rid of it.

Earl Grey

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Also, it's worth noting that self pres can just as equally want simplicity and minimalism. There can be a paring down and an emphasis on the basics, rather than a need to accumulate more stuff.

^^^ This. I type as sp-dom but I don't relate to what most would think when they say 'hoarding' especially for more sentimental reasons, in fact the very reason I go by needs/utility/security is why I cut down so much and only 'hoard' things I find important- and this what may be 'hoarded' would vary depending on what enneatype the person is. But in this aspect (especially in situations like Tsarevich's example), I would be anti-hoarder.

I may be wrong, but stereotypical sp traits portrayed online seem to tie a lot to/flow with E5 and E6 (and E5s are portrayed to be minimalistic / minimizing rather than expanding, by the way), I assume the need for security (which is what can manifests as hoarding depending on the person) is what makes sp, sp- be it through hoarding or other avenues. Actually, rather than hoarding, it may be more about the acquisition and maintaining of whatever the individual / type perceives as being security- it still can manifest as hoarding, but not necessarily.

I Tonya

Rythym of the night
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
So then can sp doms be minimalistic?

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm Sx/So and have packrat collection tendencies because of sentiments... XD

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
So then can sp doms be minimalistic?

Define minimalistic ?

Personally I prefer functional to every other option on the table, even if that requires extra energy on thinking ahead and keeping things under control. Getting stuck in clutter is bad, spending money on the stuff you don't need and probably never will is bad, not having what you need is also bad. Also there are days when I clean spaces that my family didn't clean up for over 30 years, in order to get more functional space since my Sp strongly requires functionality. For me pathological hoarding is generally anti Sp in the terms of results.

Tomb1

I talked about Flipped Instinctual Variants once or twice before. The flipped side of the self-preservation variant turns to cutting ties and hoarding anything and everything (Enneagram type influences the kind of items SPs especially hoard the fuck out of).

sp-seconds can also engage in some pretty extreme hoarding....the core difference is that sp-firsts are more vigilant about keeping an eye on the objects of their hoarding in the first place. sp-seconds are less watchful and usually give others free/easy access (sp-firsts run into less situations where somebody just discarded or mishandled something of theirs assumed to be nothing signficant).

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Sp-first, and I’m very much an anti-hoarder. I don’t keep many trinkets unless they have a functional use. Everyone has exceptions to that for a few little things, of course. Overall I prefer everything I own (aside from big things like a bed/bookcase) to fit in one car, and I’ve kind of always been that way.

I do save a lot of free sample or trial sized hygiene products that don’t have any active ingredients that expire. They’re just good for traveling, so they do eventually get used. I’m picky about what products go on my body, so I don’t like to just wing it & use whatever stuff a hotel, hospital, or friend has around.

I don’t buy in bulk much, since usually you need paid memberships to stores that sell in bulk. Plus, I hate cramped space if I can help it. I don’t want a mountain of toilet paper just sitting out everywhere because my cabinet is already full, etc.

I Tonya

Rythym of the night
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Define minimalistic ?

Personally I prefer functional to every other option on the table, even if that requires extra energy on thinking ahead and keeping things under control. Getting stuck in clutter is bad, spending money on the stuff you don't need and probably never will is bad, not having what you need is also bad. Also there are days when I clean spaces that my family didn't clean up for over 30 years, in order to get more functional space since my Sp strongly requires functionality. For me pathological hoarding is generally anti Sp in the terms of results.

RadicalDoubt

Alongside Questionable Clarity
MBTI Type
TiSi
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
As a kid I used to be really bad, I'd hoard everything from napkins to paperwork to... Literally everything. I have both 5 and sp on my side in that respect. I've gotten better though, in the sense that I never actually buy anything at all. If I acquire nothing new, then I cannot become an actual hoarder, right :/ ??

I still struggle to throw things out, but mostly because literally just the thought of sorting through all the stuff I've hoarded throughout the years is terrifying and exhausting to think about. But I no longer store used napkins anymore, so I've gotten better.