• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Multiple Enneagram Subtypes/Instincts Sp/So & So/Sp or just non-Sx's

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Merging with others, what does it mean to you?

It's generally the Sx domain but how do non-Sx's have deep, emotive relationships where there is a tight, close bond with the other person?

Do you even want that kind of connection?

And how can you achieve that (without alcohol)?

Does it take initiation/pushing from the other person? How do you react to that?

Do you understand the metaphorical boundaries and stay the hell away or can you push them?

Can you create a reciprocal relationship where you reveal as much as you give? If so, how?

P

Phantonym

I'm fairly positive that I'm an sp/so. I can most definitely say that I do want that kind of a connection, it even seems to be in an "all or nothing" kind of way. But I can also say that I've never felt a desperate need to form such a connection, it's been more of a faint but constant yearning without falling into excess.

For me, feeling outright pressured or pushed into something creates a strong negative reaction, but a more subtle approach and yes, initiation from the other party has a much more positive outcome. Since I'm usually slow to take any huge leaps straight away (although sometimes I deliberately push things to see what will happen), it takes a lot of patience from the other party before things get comfortable. And patience is also very important when forming trust within the relationship. I can most definitely create such relationships where there is an equal way of sharing, revealing and giving, but it takes time for it to be comfortable. One might even call it some kind of an X-factor that seems to work with some and not with others.

I'm not quite sure I understand what you mean by metaphorical boundaries, so I'm just going to take a wild stab in the dark. I guess it can go either way, depending on the dynamic with the individual in question. With some people they're natural and there's no need to either stay away of push them, with some it's something else altogether.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

I'm not sure... I know what that means PHYSICALLY speaking, but not emotionally speaking... on the emotional plane I beleive in his, hers and ours sort of... we share what needs to be shared, but we each have our own personal space as well... it's not secrets, it's just identity :ninja:

It's generally the Sx domain but how do non-Sx's have deep, emotive relationships where there is a tight, close bond with the other person?

I adore the man and he adores me... we have a close connection, but tend to speak more in physical contact and acts of service than any other form of communicating really... we're both SP/SO it turns out, so we have a weird relationship :cheese:

I like having someone that I can depend on and enjoy being with... I don't need some sort of deep messy emotional quagmire that leaves both people lost and without their own identities, that's just not FUN :nono:

dating an ENFJ with a HEAVY preference for SX interactions :thelook:

Does it take initiation/pushing from the other person? How do you react to that?

don't push me or I'll run away! :run:

Do you understand the metaphorical boundaries and stay the hell away or can you push them?

I understand his boundaries, I have my own boundaries... we both leave the boundaries alone, if the other person wants to talk, we're there to listen, but NEVER pressure someone :shock:

Can you create a reciprocal relationship where you reveal as much as you give? If so, how?

reveal as much as I give... :thinking:... not sure what that means! I'm generous with my efforts and time and my physical self, but my mental self is well guarded... that's just the way that I am :)

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Firstly - lol at the reference to 'without alcohol'!! :rofl1:

For me, feeling outright pressured or pushed into something creates a strong negative reaction, but a more subtle approach and yes, initiation from the other party has a much more positive outcome. Since I'm usually slow to take any huge leaps straight away (although sometimes I deliberately push things to see what will happen), it takes a lot of patience from the other party before things get comfortable. And patience is also very important when forming trust within the relationship. I can most definitely create such relationships where there is an equal way of sharing, revealing and giving, but it takes time for it to be comfortable. One might even call it some kind of an X-factor that seems to work with some and not with others.

:yes: for me too.

Trinity said:

So... I think there are two distinct possibilities when it comes to the pace at which I connect with someone, and I think it has a direct bearing on the others' personality type and/or enneagram. For example, one of my closest friends is an INFJ, and I believe she is an so/sp. With her, we met up maybe once every month or two for coffee for a year or two. I really don't think we became *close* until beginning in year 3. And now, she's one of my closest friends. A contrasting example, an ENTP. Not sure of his corresponding enneagram, but guessing it is probably a non-sx-dom combo. For whatever reason, the dynamic right from the get-go was such that I felt quite comfortable being completely myself and was immediately as connected in some ways as I am with my INFJ friend. So, what took a matter of years with the INFJ was a matter of days or weeks with the ENTP. With the INFJ, we were both probably too similar that neither was apt to really jump in or initiate in a direct manner. Whereas the ENTP had that extroverted, more initiating edge, thus it proceeded that much quicker. Part of this discrepancy, too, may be my maturing and my choosing to be more open with fewer walls now, vs. 8 years ago.

When I feel intensely connected to someone, all I can say is that I feel safe, I feel understood/accepted, I feel I can be fully open without being judged, and I feel I can have potentially differing opinions from the other, but we both respect that fact and aren't out to try to convince or change the other to our own way of being. I have written elsewhere that I tend not to be one who, even with close friends, really divulges much in terms of my personal life and feelings associated with it. So I'm not a terribly feely-emotive-conversation person. I think I'm more of an idea-philosophical-concept-conversation person. And, if I am able to have those sorts of discussions, and the discussions *flow* and keep going and there's no awkwardness and there seems to be an ***immediate understanding without having to explain too much in-depth, like our brains are connected***, then I deem that an excellent connection. It doesn't happen often -- the comfort/acceptance factor (and trusting in the relationship and that it is utterly solid and the person isn't going to reject me or abandon me for greener pastures) combined with the sense of a brain-connection-and-intuitive-understanding. I think similar to what Sky Is Blue was alluding to, it tends to be either there, or not there. With the types of connections I truly desire, no amount of 'work' will suddenly create that connection. (With the case of the INFJ, I knew it was there from the get-go, it's just we both were of the sort where we really weren't in a rush and I'm not one to mess with what I'd call 'natural' timeframes, dependent on the person, for opening up and connecting on an ever-deepening, more trusting, level as time goes on)

I think I do understand the 'metaphorical boundaries', as I think that's kinda what my INFJ friend and I were dancing around those first few years, gradually pushing them farther in, probably both still 'deciding' whether or not it was going to go deeper or not (not that all of this was an *active* thought process at the time). I suppose if I really sense a possible connection with someone, and that someone is more shy than I (ha!!), I might be tempted to poke a little bit at the boundaries just to see whether they're receptive or not, but if not, it just means they're not ready yet and I'm cool with keeping it as-is a while longer.

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
As a sp/so, I wish for a close connection with someone, be it friendship or romantically. Trouble is, finding a close connection with people, at least where I come from, is rare at most. A lot of people that I've been friends with went off and did their own things, they don't live where they went to high school. Likewise, people I've went to college with, there were a few that I was close to, but I kind of didn't feel like I belonged in other people's social circles. Since I'm pretty much on my own (albeit still living with parents), I've learned to be self-sufficient. Self-preserving/social variant out of necessity. If I yearned to be in close relationships with others, then I'd set myself up for disappointment if the feeling wasn't mutual.

But to answer your questions:
Sharing common values, deep conversations, revealing your true self without judgment, feeling that tight bond between two people as if it is a knot joining your souls together.

Other than being self-revealing without shame or guilt that the other person will judge you, there's the emotional vulnerability too, where you can share your deepest passions and flights of fantasy with the other person, and having them understand where you are coming from. I suppose a deep close bond with another person is enduring over time, they don't leave you because you're not good enough to be with them. You both can be yourself with each other.

Yes, very much so. Unfortunately, it's rare to find. By necessity, I've had to be a bit more self-reliant and self-sufficient. Not everyone wants to be close to everyone. In school, I dealt with a lot of superficial relationships. Was difficult to merge with others... not sure why... maybe it was cos I was afraid of getting hurt (was bullied and teased in school), or it could be because I didn't quite fit in.

Over time, knowing that I can put my trust in the other person, that being emotionally vulnerable with them won't end up with a knife in my back.

I need a bit of a push, yeah. I'm a bit afraid to open up. Sometimes if they push too much, I get scared and jump into my shell.

I stay back. I understand boundaries and respect them fully. I don't want to push the envelope.

Can you create a reciprocal relationship where you reveal as much as you give?
As long as revealing something won't make me feel guilty about it later. I'm quite private and selective as to what I reveal to others.
If so, how?
If there aren't negative consequences that will bite me in the ass later on, then I'm quite upfront about how I feel about something to someone, and the major thing that helps is if I get a vibe from someone that they are trustworthy and won't hurt me later on. But I am very selective what I reveal to others. You have to draw the line somewhere. I just can't seem to let loose of my armor.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
I agree with a lot of what's been said here. And there are some people, like cascadeco said, with whom I just naturally feel close and safe, and want to open up. Other times, the process can be helped along by shared hardship. I remember becoming very close in a very short period of time to a guy I did a play in two-week rep with, because I was overwhelmed and vulnerable and he was caring and helpful. It made me open up and trust out of necessity, and it kinda felt good, to be honest.

I need--NEED--a deep connection in a romantic situation. If I don't feel a deep emotional connection with you, I don't have feelings for you. I am not looking for a mindmate only. I have lots of friends that fit that bill. A mostly brain-connection leaves me feeling dissatisfied and lonely, even if the other person is thrilled to have found that connection. I need to feel like you feel like you can trust me with your concerns and fears, that you're not trying to hide them from me or put up a front. I'm fine with not going emotionally deep in a friendship, but it's a necessity for me if I'm going to date you. The more I see of your real insides, the more I will fall for you (if we're compatible).

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
They're sexual relationships, for me. That doesn't happen as entirely with platonic relationships.

No.

It's an organic thing that just happens. In my life it has been rare but worth it when it happened. It's like watching a rose bloom in slow motion, or it's like maybe if you had multiple locks of multiple kinds and one by one they all unlocked in perfect sequence and you were released. Like orgasm but emotionally/mentally as well as physically, like the other person says things that are music to your ears or does things in a way that you just seem built to appreciate.

Better if there's no force.

Younger me was all Pandora and had to see what happens when you push things open. Older me only wants what evolves because it has to, because it has a life of its own.

By paying careful attention to what feeds the other person and rewarding them whenever they feed you.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
so/sp here.

Cascadeco just took the words out of my mouth with this bit (bolded parts especially so):
When I feel intensely connected to someone, all I can say is that I feel safe, I feel understood/accepted, I feel I can be fully open without being judged, and I feel I can have potentially differing opinions from the other, but we both respect that fact and aren't out to try to convince or change the other to our own way of being. I have written elsewhere that I tend not to be one who, even with close friends, really divulges much in terms of my personal life and feelings associated with it. So I'm not a terribly feely-emotive-conversation person. I think I'm more of an idea-philosophical-concept-conversation person. And, if I am able to have those sorts of discussions, and the discussions *flow* and keep going and there's no awkwardness and there seems to be an ***immediate understanding without having to explain too much in-depth, like our brains are connected***, then I deem that an excellent connection. It doesn't happen often -- the comfort/acceptance factor (and trusting in the relationship and that it is utterly solid and the person isn't going to reject me or abandon me for greener pastures) combined with the sense of a brain-connection-and-intuitive-understanding. I think similar to what Sky Is Blue was alluding to, it tends to be either there, or not there. With the types of connections I truly desire, no amount of 'work' will suddenly create that connection. (With the case of the INFJ, I knew it was there from the get-go, it's just we both were of the sort where we really weren't in a rush and I'm not one to mess with what I'd call 'natural' timeframes, dependent on the person, for opening up and connecting on an ever-deepening, more trusting, level as time goes on)
See above.

I definitely yearn for a deep connection and intense intimacy but for me this is something that is felt without the need for expressing or it, even say, across a crowded room - a strong bond that can be felt intently without the need to constantly afirm it.

I have yet to experience a relationship, romantic or otherwise, that remotely comes close to the sort of bond I desire. I have felt connections but they have never been deep enough for me. All I can do is hope for a person that inspires the possiblity of acheiving that.

I would think so. I am definitely not an intitiator. I need and want to be gently nudged a little but I also need space and time to get to the place where I feel comfortable with that person. Of course too much pressure could really drive me away. The self preservation instinct kicks in and I would think its better to bail than deal with that.

As an aside, I don't think I could even feel a bond without being pursued at least a little. I need the other person to want to be with me enough to go out of their way to do so. An "oh well, you seem nice enough" attitude will kick in my fears, doubts, and insecurities and I couldn't feel safe with that person. I'm all to used to my generally failing to inspire feelings of attachment in others - I need an escape from that.

I am very sympathetic and respectful to the boundaries of others because I can be so difficult with mine. I would not get anywhere near them until I feel that other person trusts me enough to do so or if they give me a clear opening.

Sure. If I am made to feel completely safe with someone, I could imagine myself to be very open. Concealling so much is exhausting. I want to be around people with whom I feel safe to let down my guard with (at least a little).

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Thanks for all the responses guys :wub:

I'm fairly positive that I'm an sp/so. I can most definitely say that I do want that kind of a connection, it even seems to be in an "all or nothing" kind of way. But I can also say that I've never felt a desperate need to form such a connection, it's been more of a faint but constant yearning without falling into excess.

That's how I'd describe it too, I'd really like to have that kind of connection, or more specifically be able to create that kind of connection with new people quickly when I like and click with them straight away but I just can't and I'm unsure if I'd even like it if I could. Doesn't take much for me to feel claustrophobic.

dating an ENFJ with a HEAVY preference for SX interactions :thelook:

:eek:

Sharing common values, deep conversations, revealing your true self without judgment, feeling that tight bond between two people as if it is a knot joining your souls together.

Nice way of putting it.

If there aren't negative consequences that will bite me in the ass later on, then I'm quite upfront about how I feel about something to someone, and the major thing that helps is if I get a vibe from someone that they are trustworthy and won't hurt me later on. But I am very selective what I reveal to others. You have to draw the line somewhere. I just can't seem to let loose of my armor.

That's how I'd put it myself, especially the last bit, I can be very open and reveal a lot about myself yet I never do so whole heartedly with full vulnerability and no armour, I do so either because I don't care about the response I get or I protect myself by preparing for a negative response. I really want to change that but it seems to be one of the most difficult things for me to change, it goes directly against who I am.

I need--NEED--a deep connection in a romantic situation. If I don't feel a deep emotional connection with you, I don't have feelings for you. I am not looking for a mindmate only. I have lots of friends that fit that bill. A mostly brain-connection leaves me feeling dissatisfied and lonely, even if the other person is thrilled to have found that connection. I need to feel like you feel like you can trust me with your concerns and fears, that you're not trying to hide them from me or put up a front. I'm fine with not going emotionally deep in a friendship, but it's a necessity for me if I'm going to date you. The more I see of your real insides, the more I will fall for you (if we're compatible).

Is it a "it's there or it's not" kinda deal, as in effort can't create that kind of connection?

So, anyone: What tips/tools would you suggest to attempt to push past personal barriers with letting your guard down?

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
Well, I think it can sometimes be more of a personality/chemistry thing where the barriers are more naturally down. But it's definitely something that can be created. I naturally want to protect myself, but it doesn't mean I'm not capable or even excited to push past my natural inclination. In fact, I think that's one of the things I like most about being in a relationship--the idea of wanting this bond to be one that is deeper than the others in my life, so I'm more willing to answer questions completely openly, risking rejection. More willing to just kind of be out there and exposed. But it only works if the other person is willing to do the same.

As far as the tips/tools, that's where I'm kind of stuck. I will sometimes make myself vulnerable first, telling about a fear or minor insecurity to show that I trust the other person, and to hopefully invite them to share stuff about themselves if they feel so inclined. Otherwise, I don't know, because I don't want to over-rely on that tactic, lest I seem needier or more insecure than I actually am. :p I would love to hear others' thoughts.

You

MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
7w8
Can someone forward me to where the meaning for these two letter terms are?

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

Commute road rage.

There's just trust in the relationship, and common interests. But most importantly, he's free to be his own person, just as I'm free to be mine.

The merging thing, as described by the Sx descriptions? No... that's too invasive. And unnecessary. It's much better to just be a team made of people who can stand on their own feet.

xtc.

Assertive flirting's one thing...trying to force yourself IN me (psychologically/metaphysically) will get you a court summons.

Boundaries are boundaries. People are born with a right to be in control of themselves without other homo sapiens breathing down on them.

Reveal as much as I give? Isn't that the same thing? But yes, reciprocity is important, IMO. It's just respect for each other's equal standing.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

Yes and no. I do long for close, intimate relationships but not at the expense of my own freedom and independence. I tend to value the latter over the former.

By finding someone who respects my need for independence and personal space and respecting their need for it too. I need to gradually establish an intimate relation. Don't go too fast too quickly with me.

No, I react negatively from pressure and that will only push us further apart.

I am very sensitive to having my own boundaries violated so I'm careful not to violate someone else's. Yes, I well understand the metaphorical boundaries.

Yes. I think if you find the right person, this naturally happens. And for me, that's someone who takes it slow at first, doesn't pressure me too much, respects my need for my own space and alone time.

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
A person with a weak SX instinct can still desire to form those kinds of connections- it's just not one of his or her top priorities.
That's at least how (I think) it is for me. (so/sp)

KLessard

Aspiring Troens Ridder
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w2
Have you read anything from Carson McCullers (The Heart is a lonely hunter, The Ballad of the Sad Café, the Member of the Wedding)? I believe you will find the whole problematic of wanting meaningful connections without the Sx perspective there. And how misunderstood you will be. I suppose this author was Sp/So or something.

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
Mostly A big old "DO NAT WANT."

I don't like the idea of deep emotive relationships, esp. if this means deep emotive expressions on my part. IME tight bonds are best formed when there is no conscious effort on anybody's part to form them or talk about them ad nauseum.

Still working through this, esp. in platonic settings. It sometimes happens that I seem social and warm in a given setting (sp/so) and people take this to mean I want to form a friendship then initiate something that I'd rather not be a part of with that particular person.
The curse of the charming :D The only reaction is being non-responsive to later contact.

I think I do, but the issue is navigating the line between being friendly and sparking unintentional invitations to further boundary pushing.
Only if it's my idea. being pushed will cause a retreat.

Random Ness

I really do crave that kind of connection. A person has to gradually show me that I can trust them before I open up about more and more about me and do more physical things with them. If our relationship goes well, then it just takes time. Months and months and months of time.

Random Ness

It sometimes happens that I seem social and warm in a given setting (sp/so) and people take this to mean I want to form a friendship then initiate something that I'd rather not be a part of with that particular person.
The curse of the charming :D The only reaction is being non-responsive to later contact.

Same here. I have to learn I do have to have further contact with anyone I don't like. :yes:

Random Ness

A person with a weak SX instinct can still desire to form those kinds of connections- it's just not one of his or her top priorities.
That's at least how (I think) it is for me. (so/sp)

But it is a priority to me. :( For me, being sp/so/sx just means it takes more time to form a sx-type bond.