• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[so] so doms ... join our group!

B

brainheart

Social for sure, guessing so/sp, although I also relate to the so/sx description. Main thing, though- I watched the Stephen Fry youtube clip on blackcat's enneagram link and holy crap do we have the same demeanor- by this I mean, always averting the eyes, but making sure to make eye contact occasionally. Seeming very reserved and cautious and dare I say, somewhat regal, but still, wanting to talk. But not wanting to reveal too much.

No wonder I've always LOVED the guy. (I know I may not seem like this online, but in person with strangers or if I'm on the spot, very very much so.)

EDIT: I'd say I'm more likely sx/so or so/sx.

Last edited:

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Uh-oh, here are my results and it changes my membership slightly...

Sexual 57

Social 55

Self Preservation 38

Which nudges me into Sx/So territory.

I took that test twice. The first time I scored sp/sx/so but all the scores were close to each other. The second time, I scored exactly 50 points for each! And I was being truthful and honest and trying not to let my knowledge of variants sway me in any direction. So that test failed for me.

I know that test, tends to skew towards sx and I know non-sx firsts who've scored sx first on it. Or sx lasters getting sx second or even sx first.

I'm pretty confident about my so/sp/sx stacking. I think one problem with that test was several of the social variant responses seemed very extraversion oriented and being a strong type 5 and a strong MBTI introvert, I just didn't identify with them. Like for example, one of the social responses was "being alone is far less preferable than being with people". I'm a social variant but because I'm a 5, I need *alot* of alone time?

One way for determining variant stacking which I think works well and better than the variant tests out there is to ask yourself, which variant caused you the most wounding and conflict when you were young? That one is likely to be your dominant and the one you're most preoccupied with, the one that causes you the most suffering. Also ask yourself, which variant are you most likely to neglect? That's probably your last variant. And interestingly, your middle variant in a way is your most stable and least troublesome one because you pay enough attention to it but not so much that its all-consuming.

Well going by that, it's clear my stacking is so/sp/sx. My most painful memories were in the social realm. Being socially humiliated in middle school, being made to feel worthless by my peers, etc. I'm preoccupied with where I stand relative to other people and worry alot what others think. I want to do something that's useful to society and make my mark. I tend to have alot of acquaintances but very few close friends. I like deep conversations but when things get too intimate, I get rather uneasy. I like social groups where people share a similar interest or similar values. Unlike some other 5's, I don't shy away completely from groups. I am somewhat more extraverted and sociable than the average 5 but still quite introverted overall. I love carving out a niche for myself and sharing my knowledge with others.

Sp is my secondary variant. I pay attention to health but I'm not a fanatic about it. I am careful with money but not overly worried about it. I've never had any major health or money issues. I generally play it safe. I don't spend a whole lot of time on self-preservation stuff, just enough to keep me out of trouble so I can pursue my intellectual intererests.

Sx is my last variant. It's safe to say, I've pretty much neglected that aspect. I'm probably one of the least sexually and relationship oriented people out there. Relationships (the intimate sort) almost feel kind of optional to me. It's a nice bonus if you're in an intimate relationship that works but for me its not essential to my happiness and satisfaction with life. I'm happily single and enjoy the independence that comes with that and would have a very hard time giving that up for the sake of a relationship. The idea of merging with the other is scary to me. I don't want to do it. I want to be close to someone, yet separate. I'm in my early thirties, yet I've had very limited experience in the relationship realm.

BlueGray

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I think I'm so/sp, although descriptions of instinctual stackings seem to have too many parts that don't match up with me for me to be certain.

Reading paradigm-shift's method makes me rather certain of so/sp now actually...

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
What's up guys.

I'm guessing that wishing you could win the lottery so you could throw a huge party on an enormous boat for all your friends is pretty much the definition of so/sp, right?

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
What's up guys.

I'm guessing that wishing you could win the lottery so you could throw a huge party on an enormous boat for all your friends is pretty much the definition of so/sp, right?

Yes! And then once they're all smashed and drowning (in the gin, not the ocean), start charging outrageously for additional drinks, and get that spent money back.

*Note: Try to steer the boat to the middle of the ocean. So they can't wander off somewhere else for cheaper drinks. Though they should be smashed beyond ability to reason.

ayoitsStepho

Twerking & Lurking
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I really feel as if there are not very many so's on this forum. It saddens me so.

Rebe

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4sop
^ it seems people rather not be SO doms, we're like the esfx of social variants ... muhaha

ayoitsStepho

Twerking & Lurking
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Lol! Wow, how incredibly stupid of others NOT to want to be an SO.

The majority of SO's that I see on this forum are amazing! How could you NOT want to be apart of people like this? We're the best damn things! :D

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Protean, I'm not sure what I "want" to know, I wonder how many of us are So dominant, and am curious how that colors our interactions with other posters on the board. Do we tend to be more consensus-oriented? Do we avoid discussing personal stuff?

*I don't have close connections with anyone on the forum, yet I know a lot of people on here, even if its just a surface knowledge.
*I pose questions to the forum as a whole rather than directing them to a couple of select individuals.
*I am pretty consensus oriented in the sense that I'm interested in the collective opinions more than the opinion of one individual.
*I avoid discussing stuff that's too personal. When people post things too personal, I tend to lose interest. I'm more interested in the kinds of posts that would be of interest to a larger number of people.
*I'm more interested in how the forum as a whole perceives me rather than just selected individuals.

And, you'll note that So dom (right now) appears to be quite a minority here too (on TypoC) ... anyone hazard a guess why? The Sx dom list is quite extensive at this point. :)

Alot of people mistype themselves as SX instinct. Somehow its seen as more glamourous and more interesting by some. Other people think they are SX dominant because they love being in a relationship or having deep conversations or having good sex. That stuff doesn't make you SX!

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Social (aka "Adaptive") Instinct

Just as many people tend to misidentify themselves as Sexual types because they want one-on-one relationships, many people fail to recognize themselves as Social types because they get the (false) idea that this means always being involved in groups, meetings, and parties. If Self-Preservation types are interested in adjusting the environment to make themselves more secure and comfortable, Social types adapt themselves to serve the needs of the social situation they find themselves in. Thus, Social types are highly aware of other people, whether they are in intimate situations or in groups. They are also aware of how their actions and attitudes are affecting those around them. Moreover, Sexual types seek intimacy, Social types seek personal connection: they want to stay in long-term contact with people and to be involved in their world. Social types are the most concerned with doing things that will have some impact on their community, or even broader domains. They tend to be warmer, more open, engaging, and socially responsible than the other two types. In their primary relationships, they seek partners with whom they can share social activities, wanting their intimates to get involved in projects and events with them. Paradoxically, they actually tend to avoid long periods of exclusive intimacy and quiet solitude, seeing both as potentially limiting. Social types lose their sense of identity and meaning when they are not involved with others in activities that transcend their individual interests.
Awesome.

For a moment there I was starting to really think I can't be a SO, going on other people's descriptions of their experience; some people seem to confuse SO with extroversion, among other things. But I really identify with this :yes:

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
QUESTION: Does anyone know (or know of any studies that illustrate) what the percentages of each variant are in the general population? It seems that here on TypoC there are more sx's than the other two. I would venture the order here is sx - sp - so.

FWIW, there seems to be a lot of SPs on the forum, either SP primary or SP secondary. Not a lot of SO's. I guess that makes sense on first glance for an internet forum...Just like there are a lot of INTPs and Enneatype 5s on this forum --> not necessarily accurate reflections of the 'general population'.

Some crude observations - SO primary is a an artificial substitute for Fe. :alttongue: Being SO/Sx and ENFP seems to give me a different relationship or view with and of Fe than a lot of my ENFP counterparts on the forum.