• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Multiple Enneagram Subtypes/Instincts Subtypes/instinctual variants

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
It seems to me that when it comes to enneagram everyone talks about their type and wing but not much about subtypes/instinctual variants (ie. self-preservation/social/sexual). Basically I want to know a little more about subtypes in enneagram and possibly facillitate a little discussion. The questions might seem a little obvious but I'm pretty ignorant about them and it would really help to clear up a murky area for me.

Questions for enneagram aficionados
- What is the definition of each subtype? How broadly are the terms meant? How literal are they?
- What drives and determines your subtype? And is it a set, discrete world-view or a degree of inclination and based on percentage?
- How does your subtype work in relation to your type and your wings? Is it the most defining part of your enneagram?
- How do different subtypes interelate within a type? For example, how would a two people that are both type 1s but have differing subtypes interact?)
- Do the subtypes have commonalities across differing types and how do they corrospond to one another? For example, would a 1 SP feel an affinity for a 6 SP?
- How on earth can a 5 have a social subtype? :shock: :D

Questions for everyone
- What is your type, wing and subtype?
- How much does your subtype factor in the way you think of your type and others'?
- Does your subtype provide real insight into your behaviour beyond what your type provides?
- How do you think your subtype affects your approach to different aspects of life?

Basically the reason for all this is I read this today and it freaked me out with how (brutally) true it is for me

Social Fours: "Shame"
Shame, as we use it here, means embarrassment, humiliation, and lack of self-respect.

I feel ashamed of not measuring up to my vision of the ideal: not being bright or creative enough, not contributing to humanity, or not having a fulfilling relationship.
I die over each mistake or faux pas I make.
I often feel inadequate socially and either try to pour on charm and confidence or blend into the woodwork.
I'm always analyzing myself: Did I make myself understood? Did I sound stupid? Was I too aggressive? Was I too conciliatory?
I have dreams of achieving tremendous status and recognition in order to get revenge on those who have put me down or laughed at me.
I am very sensitive to being shamed or slighted. It devastates me to be excluded from a gathering or event that acquaintances or friends are attending.
Sometimes I say things against myself to try to deflect envy.
I feel less awkward when I fill a definite position in the group by demonstrating that I'm an authority on something or by making a strong statement about who I am by the way I dress.
Link

Rebe

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4sop
^ I wish there were more about instinct variants, though I haven't studied enneagram at all. I much prefer mbti and second, socionics. I have read through many an awkwardly translated texts from russian (?). I haven't found a good site with really good variant information, how did they create this?

The social four really hit the nail for me too! It explains a lot about my current self, different from when I was just a four without a really coherent wing or instinct. When I first tested and came out social first, it was really surprising, the word has many implications that are at odds with me, the staunch individualist. I can also relate to the other two, but not as completely. I wonder if that will change in the future; I know I haven't always been 'social'. I am wondering when people actually discover their instinct variants and even, wings. At our least developed state, we are just a number...?

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
^ I wish there were more about instinct variants, though I haven't studied enneagram at all. I much prefer mbti and second, socionics. I have read through many an awkwardly translated texts from russian (?). I haven't found a good site with really good variant information, how did they create this?

The social four really hit the nail for me too! It explains a lot about my current self, different from when I was just a four without a really coherent wing or instinct. When I first tested and came out social first, it was really surprising, the word has many implications that are at odds with me, the staunch individualist. I can also relate to the other two, but not as completely. I wonder if that will change in the future; I know I haven't always been 'social'. I am wondering when people actually discover their instinct variants and even, wings. At our least developed state, we are just a number...?
:yes: Reading that description lead me to wonder about the same things you've mentioned. I wasn't really interested in the subtypes before because I didn't really read anything that I connected with. That description makes me think that there's something to them and makes me want to better understand it all.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
How to Get Along with Me
  • Don't tell me what to do.
:laugh: love it!

- What is the definition of each subtype? How broadly are the terms meant? How literal are they?

I like the information here as it shows how the stackings fit by enneagram type.

ENTP 7w8, I struggle to figure out my stackings though, I believe I'm sp first then I'm not so sure but I'm leaning towards sp/so.

- How much does your subtype factor in the way you think of your type and others'?
I love people but I'm crappy-mccrap at maintaining relationships, the explanation of sevens covers me pretty well but the differences in stackings narrows it down.

- Does your subtype provide real insight into your behaviour beyond what your type provides?
Fo' sure, although I can relate pretty well to sp/so and sp/sx, so not that clearly.

- How do you think your subtype affects your approach to different aspects of life?
If I am sp/so then it can help explain why despite loving people as a race I can be so totally unmotivated to maintain any relationships that I have, due to sx being my least developed instinct. The sp part can explain why I'm so highly motivated by gaining comforts and positive experiences.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
[/LIST]I like the information here as it shows how the stackings fit by enneagram type.
I didn't realize there was stackings. It gets more complicated... :doh:

Interesting site - I will go and read up. Thanks for the link.

EDIT: I thinking I'm likely a so/sp
The Instinctual Stackings of Enneatype Four

Social/Self-pres

This subtype can mimic type One when it comes to social values. They can be harsh critics of the current mores. They have romantic ideals of what the world should be like; reality always falls short. Ironically, this type can be the most withdrawn of the Fours. Social anxiety combines with the Four's shame issues to make this type feel that the pressure associated with "fitting in" is just not worth it. They are also the most likely of the Fours to intellectualize their emotions and in this way resemble type Five.

The social instinct tends to give the personality a focus on being included, fitting in, or finding a way to make a valued contribution. This agenda conflicts with the Four's sense of being "different from" or "other than." The Four's need to establish a separate identity conflicts with the social instinct's drive towards inclusion. The social Four often deals with this dilemma by defining themselves as being outside the social system. By defining themselves always in terms of the system, even if it is to establish distance, this Four stays essentially tied to it. Fours with the social/self-pres stacking tend to acutely feel a sense of social shame at not quite belonging.

When this subtype is reasonably healthy, they are often gifted critics of the prevailing culture. They develop true insight into social dynamics and have an eye for the nuances and subtleties of social interactions. Many Four writers are soc/self.
:yes::yes::yes:

Does this appeal to you too Rebe?

William K

Uniqueorn
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Self-pres/Social

This subtype is the least volatile and fiery of the type Four stackings. They can resemble type One in terms of their efficiency and practicality. Although their focus will be more on the emotional aesthetic, these Fours do have a considerable practical side. Less flashy than some of the subtypes of Four, they nevertheless have a quiet charm and developed sense of style. They are likely to value their possessions, to perhaps collect items of personal emotional significance. They may, for instance, have shelves and shelves of books and have a place for each book. This subtype can also resemble type Six in terms of having a great deal of anxiety. This anxiety often revolves around self-pres concerns such as those surrounding health issues and mortality. Their strong self-pres instinct also lends a degree of independence to this subtype. As the sexual instinct is least pronounced, this subtype of Four is prone to romanticize intimacy without actually pursuing real relationships. When healthy, these Fours can be very productive; when less healthy they might suffer from boughts of melancholy or self pity. The strong self-pres instinct however often helps these individuals to recognize how their state of mind is impacting their health and well being. This enables them to become action oriented.

The bolded are too true... Confirmed 4 sp/so :D

P

Phantonym

INFJ, 4w5 sp/so.

I agree with what Trinity said, the stackings narrow it down for me as well.

With other people there are noticeable differences in behaviour that I couldn't really explain before I found out about the Enneagram and the instinctual variants have been really helpful in pinpointing what they actually are. I'm definitely not skilled in applying them with ease quite yet but it's yet another system that gives those subtle nuances that can be helpful in figuring people out. :)

This description is spot on for me, I might even say word for word. *cough*Forer*cough* But I don't mind, it certainly fits. :smile:

Self-pres/Social

This subtype is the least volatile and fiery of the type Four stackings. They can resemble type One in terms of their efficiency and practicality. Although their focus will be more on the emotional aesthetic, these Fours do have a considerable practical side. Less flashy than some of the subtypes of Four, they nevertheless have a quiet charm and developed sense of style. They are likely to value their possessions, to perhaps collect items of personal emotional significance. They may, for instance, have shelves and shelves of books and have a place for each book. This subtype can also resemble type Six in terms of having a great deal of anxiety. This anxiety often revolves around self-pres concerns such as those surrounding health issues and mortality. Their strong self-pres instinct also lends a degree of independence to this subtype. As the sexual instinct is least pronounced, this subtype of Four is prone to romanticize intimacy without actually pursuing real relationships. When healthy, these Fours can be very productive; when less healthy they might suffer from boughts of melancholy or self pity. The strong self-pres instinct however often helps these individuals to recognize how their state of mind is impacting their health and well being. This enables them to become action oriented.

I guess I could blame my self-preservation drive for wanting to keep things in order, under control and practical. I am definitely action oriented most of the time. :laugh: And unfortunately it can be a source of frustration when I'm under stress as well because it takes even more energy to try to balance things according to my sp drive. But the positive side is that, as the quote says, I can indeed be very productive when I'm in my "healthy" state.

Rebe

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4sop
The Instinctual Stackings of Enneatype Four

Social/Self-pres

This subtype can mimic type One when it comes to social values. They can be harsh critics of the current mores. They have romantic ideals of what the world should be like; reality always falls short. Ironically, this type can be the most withdrawn of the Fours. Social anxiety combines with the Four's shame issues to make this type feel that the pressure associated with "fitting in" is just not worth it. They are also the most likely of the Fours to intellectualize their emotions and in this way resemble type Five.

The social instinct tends to give the personality a focus on being included, fitting in, or finding a way to make a valued contribution. This agenda conflicts with the Four's sense of being "different from" or "other than." The Four's need to establish a separate identity conflicts with the social instinct's drive towards inclusion. The social Four often deals with this dilemma by defining themselves as being outside the social system. By defining themselves always in terms of the system, even if it is to establish distance, this Four stays essentially tied to it. Fours with the social/self-pres stacking tend to acutely feel a sense of social shame at not quite belonging.

When this subtype is reasonably healthy, they are often gifted critics of the prevailing culture. They develop true insight into social dynamics and have an eye for the nuances and subtleties of social interactions. Many Four writers are soc/self.

I want more! :yes::yes::yes:

It's funny, very recently I have started using the word 'system', to want to change the system, you have to understand it, but that doesn't mean you need to be rubbing elbows with a bunch of doofs. I don't see myself as unique, I am not, but I feel part of the outside-the-system group. I will never be interested in wanting what everyone else wants, not because I am unique or want to be, but because I have my own mind and I like that certain pragmatic sense and I like the less traveled paths. I don't like the word unique though, it sounds self grandiose.

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
infj 5w4 sx/sp.

i find the instinctual subtypes to be enormously helpful. i usually see them before mbti or enneagram ego. the triangulation of all three helps provide better results.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i'm a 7w6 sx/so

Sexual/Social

This subtype has a lot of energy, crazy, intense energy and this energy is going to find a way to manifest. This subtype of Seven can have the biggest extremes in behavior and with material success in life. With the self-pres instinct last in the stacking they aren’t afraid of taking risks, so they sometimes become very successful, as in the case of rock stars, but they typically also take too many risks, look for too many easy ways out. With the self-pres least developed, they can become dependent on others to add a much needed stabilizing element to their busy hedonistic lives. They have many of the same issues and share many of the same problems as the other sexual first subtype with regards to relationship addiction and have even more dependency issues then the sexual/self-pres. They can lose focus and drift similar to the social/sexual subtype and their high energy can likewise be draining for others.

With this subtype, you have drama mixed with mental energy. What separates them from Fours who they might resemble superficially is their planning and future orientation. Their drama and intensity is focused on what they are going to do, not on what has happened. They are usually blind to their past, moving forward and not looking back.

KDude

isfp 6w7 sp/sx, i think.

i think 6w7 in general makes enough sense regardless of subtype.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
OK so I'm starting to see that primary self-preservation seems to imply a person is orderly, organized and efficient in some form. To me this signals a very J-like quality and yet some of you that said you are sp are perceivers. Have any of you self-preservationists felt confused as to whether you are a J or P? I'm not seeking to undermine your typing, I just want to know if you have felt internal conflict over this and whether knowing your enneagram subtype helps to clear this up.

I may be reading into all this too much but it might explain my weird introvert/extrovert conflict. I'm certain that I'm an INFP 4w5 and, when I think of it, it seems impossible that I could be an extrovert as I am rather withdrawn and antisocial in general. However, I am probably more talkative and outgoing than the average INFP and, I would imagine, certainly much more than most 4w5s. A so/sp stacking could really explain that push-pull factor in my instincts.

Thoughts?

KDude

i'm not orderly in the sense that i need organize or control a lot if that's what you mean. i couldn't achieve any of that in a "J-like" way. i just like a comfortable space. and as far as outside goes, i don't like being around potentially screwed up or dangerous things. at times i'll respond to that in a "counterphobic" way.. some 6's and 9's, i believe, start acting aggressive like 8's if they do this. but it's not out of a need for organizing or domination.

William K

Uniqueorn
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
OK so I'm starting to see that primary self-preservation seems to imply a person is orderly, organized and efficient in some form. To me this signals a very J-like quality and yet some of you that said you are sp are perceivers. Have any of you self-preservationists felt confused as to whether you are a J or P? I'm not seeking to undermine your typing, I just want to know if you have felt internal conflict over this and whether knowing your enneagram subtype helps to clear this up.

It's about being organized in the things that are important to me. My table is a mess at work most of the time with paper stacked haphazardly but if the cleaner moves one of my origami, I notice straight away. Similarly the drawers in my room are usually overflowing with stuff I just chuck in there to keep the floor clear. But my bookshelf is meticulously organized alphabetically by author and series (important for Fantasy/Sci-Fi stuff of course).

INFPs do have Te. It's just that Fi feels that most of the time I shouldn't devote the time to be organized/efficient if it's a trivial matter and that time should be spent in more interesting pursuits :D

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I am 5w6 sp/sx, INTJ, and a fairly strong J, so one more data point to support your theory. I don't know that much about enneagram, but I definitely relate to this variant of 5 more than to the others, with sx/sp being a close second. There is information about the variants on the following thread: http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=1165376, as well as at Five Stacks - the enneagram ...info from the underground (see list on left for types other than 5).

My first priority thus tends to be alone time, freedom from distractions, security in my home and personal environment, having everything I need easily accessible and arranged to my liking. My second preference is deep, intimate, even intense connections with a very few people. One-on-one interactions are usually ideal. The so (social) variant is barely on the map, so I dislike and avoid crowds, casual relationships, superficial social encounters, etc. I'm not sure what to do with this information, though, other than just to recognize it as familiar and accurate. I've known most of this before I learned about how enneagram categorizes it all.

In my limited understanding, the variants, like the wings, add another layer of differentiation, something MBTI lacks. One is first a 5, for instance, and all 5's will have certain things in common. Among 5's, those with 4 wing can be differentiated from those with 6. Then comes the variants. These can either reinforce the tendency of the main type (sp reinforces the 5 tendency for detachment and privacy), or mitigate it (so, especially with sx can make 5 more outwardly social and approachable).

To make matters more confusing, or perhaps just more detailed and accurate (?), there is a notion called the trifix, that incorporates one's primary enneagram type in each of the other two areas (more precise terminology eludes me at present). This is described here: Enneagram Tritype. The premise is that each of us operates using each of the three centers: head, heart, and gut. While our main type will reflect our primary center, we also have a preferred mode within each of the other two centers. This seems a bit analogous to the idea in MBTI that everyone uses every function, just with varying degrees of comfort and skill.

phthalocyanine

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx

4w5, sx/sp (infp, IEI)

it was fairly easy to determine type and wing, but took a long time to determine the correct subtype stacking for me.

i'm very cause oriented, so i originally thought i was a social subtype, but then i realized that while courteous and participatory i'm not personally so much concerned about 'fitting in'. i also realized that i see groups more in the light of their individual members, and react more to components than to an overall picture... my way of working issues out in a group is one-on-one interaction in many cases, which also was a clue.

i didn't initially think i was a sexual type because i am typically rather reserved and private...certainly not possessing a 'loud' , overt sexuality... but there are many ways to express a particular energy, and sometimes one description doesn't encompass what an individual would really identify with. i tend to not express jealousy much at all and look at competition as a lame, shallow thing, so i can say that there probably also was some rejection going on when i first read some descriptions of intimate subtypes (not to mention how a secondary self-preservation orientation muddies the water)...

once i took a step back and just worked with undertones in a more impersonal manner, it was actually easy to figure out..well, with the help of various resources, of course. it's important to work with multiple viewpoints to get a broader sense of each variable.

ah, nuts... i fit the description of the conflicted sp/sx too well in some ways. i admit it has always bothered me to read about the "tortured artist" type. but i guess a little self-loathing in a young four is not too uncommon, now is it?

tl;dr

wolfy

awsm
The best fit for me is isfp 9w8 and sx/sp or sp/sx. In that link that Southern Kross posted I relate best to sx. In the stackings that Trinity posted I could go either way.

I see sp as being more about maintaining physical security. A psychological comfort derived from your surroundings. Not necessarily keeping things in order, having a tendency towards closing loops as J seems to mean.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
In my limited understanding, the variants, like the wings, add another layer of differentiation, something MBTI lacks. One is first a 5, for instance, and all 5's will have certain things in common. Among 5's, those with 4 wing can be differentiated from those with 6. Then comes the variants. These can either reinforce the tendency of the main type (sp reinforces the 5 tendency for detachment and privacy), or mitigate it (so, especially with sx can make 5 more outwardly social and approachable).
Interesting. So a sp 5 will seem much more typical of the type in general where a so 5 might seem, on the surface, less obviously 5-like?

To make matters more confusing, or perhaps just more detailed and accurate (?), there is a notion called the trifix, that incorporates one's primary enneagram type in each of the other two areas (more precise terminology eludes me at present). This is described here: Enneagram Tritype. The premise is that each of us operates using each of the three centers: head, heart, and gut. While our main type will reflect our primary center, we also have a preferred mode within each of the other two centers. This seems a bit analogous to the idea in MBTI that everyone uses every function, just with varying degrees of comfort and skill.
That makes sense on an instinctive level. I have always had 2 other types feel rather familiar to me albeit in a less explicit and direct manner. I suppose I would be a 4-5-1.

How exactly does your wing factor in on this? Is it seperate?

I see sp as being more about maintaining physical security. A psychological comfort derived from your surroundings. Not necessarily keeping things in order, having a tendency towards closing loops as J seems to mean.
I wouldn't say it necessarily corrosponds one to one with J but perhaps indicates underlying tendencies that often exhibit as judging traits. Self-preservation implies a cautious and protective mindset which would lend itself to a more structured and ordered lifestyle. It wouldn't be inconceivable to say the 2 might be somewhat related.

But I guess we'd have to see more statistics to see if any real patterns form.

wolfy

awsm
I wouldn't say it necessarily corrosponds one to one with J but perhaps indicates underlying tendencies that often exhibit as judging traits. Self-preservation implies a cautious and protective mindset which would lend itself to a more structured and ordered lifestyle. It wouldn't be inconceivable to say the 2 might be somewhat related.

But I guess we'd have to see more statistics to see if any real patterns form.

It definitely sounds like they have things in common.

surgery

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Four
Agreed. Additionally, Enneagram Central provides some helpful information about each subtype for each style of the Enneagram. I am an INFP Four So/Sp. I used to put a lot of thought into deciding my wing. However, after finding the information about the instinctual stackings, I saw how it could actually be skewing my self-analysis in terms of wing-theory. More specifically,
The social instinct tends to give the personality a focus on being included, fitting in, or finding a way to make a valued contribution
This is personally true. So, does it provide evidence for a Three-wing or discredit it, because my competitive drive and desire for recognition and status are just a result of this instinctual preference? On the other hand,
Ironically, this type can be the most withdrawn of the Fours.

They are also the most likely of the Fours to intellectualize their emotions and in this way resemble type Five.

This suggests an inherent disposition in the So/Sp stacking towards a Five-wing.

Either way, I realized that my instinctual need to build an identity that counteracts my sense of social shame is more consistent than either descriptions of the wings. Thus, I've decided that I don't resonate with one wing more heavily than the other. Ultimately, wing-theory is less helpful for personal growth because it don't target internal motivations, just arbitrary external behavior.