• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Multiple Enneagram Subtypes/Instincts How to determine my instinctual variant(s)?

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
Sexual 74%
Social 54%
Self Preservation 38%

I'm not sure about my enneagram though. It gave me four and nine last time, and I couldn't decide.

Four would be:

This subtype is able to connect with others and with life itself, but always with an undertone of volatility and a tendency to dramatize. They are the most involved and connected of the subtypes of Four. They can go from relationship to relationship, seemingly tortured by each one. They are the most driven of the subtypes of Four to express themselves publicly and type Four celebrities are commonly found with this stacking. This subtype has a real difficulty remaining grounded, partly due to the undeveloped self-pres instinct. Although they can appear almost Eight-like at times with their lust for life and desire for passionate experience, they lack the focus of the Eight and the instinctual energy that would keep them grounded. Sometimes alcohol or substance abuse can be a problem. These Fours become more healthy when they learn to control their impulsivenss and focus their energies.

And nine:

This subtype of Nine may appear least like a stereotypical Nine because the outward sexual and social energies obscure some of the withdrawing and "zoning out" tendencies of the Nine. These Nines are the most connected and assertive of the subtypes of Nine, especially when it comes to relationships. There is still some internal struggle, as with the sexual/self-pres, but overall there is less of a tendency to withdraw. With the self-pres instinct last, this subtype can neglect self-preservational needs in favor of the intensity of their sexual instinct's pursuits. Individuals of this subtype could easily be mistaken for the dominant wing, because the sexual energy tends to flow in a manner similar to the energy of the wing. A Nine with a One wing would therefore appear more One-like and a Nine with Eight might be mistaken for an Eight.

The central conflict for these Nines will still be in the realm of close intimate relationships and these Nines will have many of the same issues and challenges as the sexual/self-pres Nines.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I got:

Sexual ||||||||||||||| 42%
Social ||||||||||||||||||||| 66%
Self Preservation |||||||||||||||||||||||||||| 90%

I still think I'm so/sp but sp/so is possible. So many of the self-preservation questions also apply to fives, like needing independence and alone time.

Fan.of.Devin

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
I am also a four, and I'm having trouble deciding between sx/sp or sp/sx...
Bah, they both sound a lot like me in parts, but rather unlike me in other parts.

Maybe I'm like, 40% sexual, 20% social, and 40% self preservation?

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Instinctual Variant Test Results

Instinctual variant theory holds that your instinctual drives can be divided into three forces. The Sexual force drives you to seek closeness, like you would experience in a strong romantic relationship or a close friendship. The Social force drives you to consider the wider community, where you and others stand, what everyone thinks/feels/needs of you and what you think/feel/need of them. The Self Preservation force drives you to maintain individual concerns - security, health, comfort, etc.. Each person will have a different mix of these three variants. Your results suggest the following mix:

Sexual |||||||||||||||||||||||||||| 82%
Social ||||||||||||||||||||| 70%
Self Preservation ||||||||||||||||||||| 66%

Seems accurate. But descriptions often describe Sx/So as alpha males or alpha females and that hinde me, I think we are a little overestimated.

By the way, that video is very usefull to determine your instinctual variants:
[youtube=D86IVsoiqTE]Enneagram Types and Subtypes with Helen Palmer[/youtube]

Proffesor Crackpot

MBTI Type
~NTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Seems accurate. But descriptions often describe Sx/So as alpha males or alpha females and that hinde me, I think we are a little overestimated.

Finally someone to relate to. I thought I was sx/so too, but the descriptions make them sound crazier than they actually are. I consider myself more of a calm sx/so. The only reason I don't feel like I'm an sp-dom/sec is because I personally can be calm with anything, I can sleep anywhere and feel just fine. That and I know my biggest problem is my lack of the bare neccesities. That is why I still live with my parents after all.

Oh yea My results

Sexual ||||||||||||||| 50%
Social ||||||||||||||| 46%
Self Preservation |||||||||||| 38%

typologywhore

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
But d escriptions often describe Sx/So as alpha males or alpha females and that hinde me, I think we are a little overestimated

...OVERRATED????!?!?!1 IMPOSSIBURU

SX/SO'S ARE FABULOUSER THAN EVERYONE *SASSY FINGER-SNAP*

...I am being somewhat facetious :D Do in fact agree that the "alpha" image of sx/so is kinda overly flattering, or at least simplified. Personally, IRL, I'm like a no-show in terms of popularity/influence, lol (largely bc of mental health crap & falling to avoidance of social things as a coping strategy for a bunch of reasons although, yeah, it turned out to be a really shitty strategy aksjfjh)