• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Multiple Enneagram Subtypes/Instincts How to determine my instinctual variant(s)?

MBTI Type
INFJ
I am not that familiar with the enneagramm....I just recently found out about the instinctual variants but find they intriguing and really applicable to helping understand myself and my interaction with people around me.... I am quite sure I am a 4, and I thought I must be the sx variant first, but.... after having read a bit more, and having re-thought that, I am not sure.... I did several tests and testes as sx, so and sp....waaah. somehow I see how my most basic motivation is to make meaningful connections with people..... however, I identify with the other variants as well.....

MBTI Type
INFJ
Thanks a lot! you always have such good advice :)! the test came out
Sexual ||||||||||||||||||||| 66%
Social ||||||||||||||||||||| 62%
Self Preservation |||||||||||||||||||||||| 78%

and having read the instinctual stackings for type 4 I have to admit that I find myself mostly in sp/sx and sx/sp...... sx/sp sounded more appealing to me, and I thought it might better on the whole, but I have to admit that the sp/sx is so spot-on in some points that I consider it to be the best-fit :)....
thanks for your help!

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
No problem! :) I think you're an sp/sx based on my impression of you.

MBTI Type
INFJ
No problem! :) I think you're an sp/sx based on my impression of you.

Oh, that's good to know :):blush:..... I feel comfortable with sp/sx, too. and I think I see the difference to sx dominants, as I guess I know some ;).... I really like interacting with them (thinking of one in particular, the singer of my band), but after I while I feel drained somehow, and though I really always seek connections....I guess the sp is more basic. now I'm rambling; sorry; thanks anyway!

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Just read sx/sp under the Four stacks. I'm scared...

MBTI Type
INFJ
Just read sx/sp under the Four stacks. I'm scared...

why? because it fits you exactly :)? the brooding and fiery outbursts?
aah, I can relate to that as well, but....I'm glad that I have decided on the sp/sx variant ;) (while I am of course envious of your first sx:))

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It's not much to be envious about, it's like being your own personal cockblock and the potential to scare every living thing within 200 m, in earshot or with line of site. It's scary because it's the potential I try to avoid getting to; the monster deep down that at times just wants to erupt out and burn everything to ash. Even my own thoughts hurt me...

Edit: Oh yeah, add that to the feeling that you are alone in that pain and anyone you thing of talking to about it brushes it off.

Donna Cecilia

L'anima non dimora
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
I´ve read the Type 1 SP/SX stacking.

And, I have to say that I fear the consequences of the "explosion of built up repression that has to be released" if it happens while I´m not in bed. In other words, it leads to amazing sex, but I can´t physically hurt, or insult somebody, even if they deserve it. The first one because my complexion won´t allow me to last for too long in a fist fight, and the second, because it is just not right for me to do so.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Ah yes, amazing sex. That is definately something I could use, especially right now. 34 months is just way too damn long... LOL!

Qre:us

Sexual ||||||||| 30%
Social |||||||||||| 38%
Self Preservation |||||||||||||||||||||||| 74%

sp/so, then?

The Self-pres Stackings

sp/soc
This type is generally private and reserved, and especially serious and practical minded in their focus to gain material security and in making useful connections that support their goals. When they do form a connection, loyalty is very important to them and they will not hesitate to end a relationship on grounds of disloyalty. This type may lack a certain degree of interpersonal warmth which can give the impression of coldness or disinterest in others, even a sense of selfishness. May be drawn to groups that attract like minded individuals, as in business clubs or volunteer organizations where a shared professional culture can facilitate social bonds. They tend to live conservatively and dress in an inconspicuously appropriate fashion befitting their status in life. May have a characteristically blunt and direct style of communication that can take others some getting used to. They are particularly strong in matters of commitment and sacrifice, and enjoy being the benefactors in assisting society's practical needs.

Motivation: to attain a position of material and societal security.

Familiar Roles: the businessperson, the responsible citizen, the pillar of society.

Examples: Bill Gates, Donald Trump, Martha Stewart, Harrison Ford

sp/sx
These people often have an earthy, mysterious quality to them. They are quietly intense, but to others may seem oblivious to the greater social world around them, instead favoring personal interests. They are slow to commit, but once they do it is with an attitude of life commitment, to the establishment of an impermeable bond. Others can be taken aback by how suddenly and completely this type can lock into them, and by the depth of understanding of the other's condition. They attach to others at an organic, root level, in contrast to the other subvariant's surface formality. Somewhat hesitant to enter new relationships, they instead preserve the select few enduring bonds they carefully form along the way. The sanctuary of home is of paramount concern, and this type takes particular delight in decorating their spaces to reflect their cherished sense of taste and depth. Depth and discrimination characterize this stacking.

Motivation: to live in a secure, comfortable environment where they can pursue their private interests in depth.

Familiar Roles: the mate, the mystic, the quiet supporter.

Examples: George Harrison, Jackie Onassis, Eric Clapton, Emily Dickinson

^ copied from BC's website recommendation to understand the stackings better.

Hmm, I think the sp/sx resonates a bit more with me than the sp/so, but both don't quite hit the spot.

BC, thoughts?

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Sexual ||||||||| 30%
Social |||||||||||| 38%

sp/so, then?

^ copied from BC's website recommendation to understand the stackings better.

Hmm, I think the sp/sx resonates a bit more with me than the sp/so, but both don't quite hit the spot.

BC, thoughts?

I honestly always thought sx/sp for you... it's weird that you'd test like that.

Qre:us

I honestly always thought sx/sp for you... it's weird that you'd test like that.

What's the common stacking for 7w8s? Is there even a common stacking?

I checked out sx/sp, it actually resonates more with me than sp/so, at least (which was what my test result gave me). Quite weird, indeed.

Hmmm, sp/sx or sx/sp...

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
That test is no good, as far as I know, instinct doesn't have much to do with love and relationships. Pretty sure I'm an sx and this is what I got:

Sexual ||||||||| 26%
Social |||||||||||||||||| 54%
Self Preservation ||||||||||||||| 50%

Social is my lowest too.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What's the common stacking for 7w8s? Is there even a common stacking?

I checked out sx/sp, it actually resonates more with me than sp/so, at least (which was what my test result gave me). Quite weird, indeed.

Hmmm, sp/sx or sx/sp...

There aren't common stackings. But I'd say sx first for you...

Loxias

MBTI Type
INxj
Enneagram
4w5
Sexual |||||||||||||||||| 58%
Social ||||||||||||||||||||| 70%

So wouldbe sp/so.
But however when taking my enneagram into account, this seems much more accurate :
Enneagram 4 Social/Self-pres

This subtype can mimic type One when it comes to social values. They can be harsh critics of the current mores. They have romantic ideals of what the world should be like; reality always falls short. Ironically, this type can be the most withdrawn of the Fours. Social anxiety combines with the Four's shame issues to make this type feel that the pressure associated with "fitting in" is just not worth it. They are also the most likely of the Fours to intellectualize their emotions and in this way resemble type Five.

The social instinct tends to give the personality a focus on being included, fitting in, or finding a way to make a valued contribution. This agenda conflicts with the Four's sense of being "different from" or "other than." The Four's need to establish a separate identity conflicts with the social instinct's drive towards inclusion. The social Four often deals with this dilemma by defining themselves as being outside the social system. By defining themselves always in terms of the system, even if it is to establish distance, this Four stays essentially tied to it. Fours with the social/self-pres stacking tend to acutely feel a sense of social shame at not quite belonging.

When this subtype is reasonably healthy, they are often gifted critics of the prevailing culture. They develop true insight into social dynamics and have an eye for the nuances and subtleties of social interactions. Many Four writers are soc/self.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
My problem with Sx/Sp for me is that I keep reading about a need for relationships, which I cannot relate to at all. However, I do not know if my need for independence and autonomy is sp related, or it's just the 5. I relate to the intensity of my interactions for sx, but not dependence on it. I relate to the strict separation of self for sp, but not the more protective and defensive aspects of the variant.

It's all very confusing!

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Sexual ||||||||| 30%
Social |||||||||||| 38%

Sexual |||||||||||| 38%
Social ||||||||| 30%

Freeeeeeeky!

I normally test as sp/so and could see sp/sx, sp/so, sx/sp or so/sp fitting for me, all I really know is sp is in there somewhere, I find this one too tough to narrow down.

This may help Q: Type 7 stackings

B

brainheart

Sexual |||||||||||||||||||||||| 74%
Social |||||||||||||||||||||||| 74%
Self Preservation ||||||||||||||| 50%

uh.... a tie? Soxual?

Although I relate to this intensely (which sounds like a sexual type thing to say):

Social Fours: "Shame"
Shame, as we use it here, means embarrassment, humiliation, and lack of self-respect.

I feel ashamed of not measuring up to my vision of the ideal: not being bright or creative enough, not contributing to humanity, or not having a fulfilling relationship.
I die over each mistake or faux pas I make.
I often feel inadequate socially and either try to pour on charm and confidence or blend into the woodwork.
I'm always analyzing myself: Did I make myself understood? Did I sound stupid? Was I too aggressive? Was I too conciliatory?
I have dreams of achieving tremendous status and recognition in order to get revenge on those who have put me down or laughed at me.
I am very sensitive to being shamed or slighted. It devastates me to be excluded from a gathering or event that acquaintances or friends are attending.
Sometimes I say things against myself to try to deflect envy.
I feel less awkward when I fill a definite position in the group by demonstrating that I'm an authority on something or by making a strong statement about who I am by the way I dress.

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Took this thing, just to see what I would get:
Sexual ||||||||||||||||||||| 62%
Social ||||||||||||||||||||| 62%
Self Preservation ||||||||||||||||||||| 70%

Self-pres/Social

This subtype is the least volatile and fiery of the type Four stackings. They can resemble type One in terms of their efficiency and practicality. Although their focus will be more on the emotional aesthetic, these Fours do have a considerable practical side. Less flashy than some of the subtypes of Four, they nevertheless have a quiet charm and developed sense of style. They are likely to value their possessions, to perhaps collect items of personal emotional significance. They may, for instance, have shelves and shelves of books and have a place for each book. This subtype can also resemble type Six in terms of having a great deal of anxiety. This anxiety often revolves around self-pres concerns such as those surrounding health issues and mortality. Their strong self-pres instinct also lends a degree of independence to this subtype. As the sexual instinct is least pronounced, this subtype of Four is prone to romanticize intimacy without actually pursuing real relationships. When healthy, these Fours can be very productive; when less healthy they might suffer from boughts of melancholy or self pity. The strong self-pres instinct however often helps these individuals to recognize how their state of mind is impacting their health and well being. This enables them to become action oriented.

Yeah, I'd say this works.

Self/Sexual

This subtype also cares very much about their surroundings and their possessions. They feel as if these things help to express who they are. There is more of a passionate sense about them as compared to the self/soc. They have more of a sensual relationship with their environment. These Fours are much more tortured by their difficulty with respect to maintaining close relationships. The self-preservational instinct tends to be in conflict with the sexual instinct, causing this subtype to habitually analyze their relationships to the point where they find it difficult to be present to them. When unhealthy, these Fours can become very disdainful of the social environment. They also start to envy the ease with which others seem to form relationships and maintain friendships. When Fours of this subtype are healthy, they find that they can form relationships without feeling as though they are sacrificing authenticity. They no longer feel that they have to automatically define themselves as "different from others," as outside the group. They are able to see the ways in which their emotionality might cloud their better judgment and to use that insight to establish equilibrium.

I definitely have a sensual relationship with the environment. If it isn't changing my desktop on the computer to reflect my mood, then it's the environment reminding me of a time period, clothing, artwork, piece of music, etc. I think I do crave a close relationship with others, just I feel different from them, I suppose.

Could this be an indication of being more sp/sx than sp/so?