• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[sx] sx/sp question

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
It appears that I am 5w4 sx/sp, so I have a question. Are sx/sp's well represented within all of the 16 MBTI types, or are we considerably more likely to be the introverted types (or intuitive types)?

Also, to other sx/sp's, have you found that you "connect" much better with other sx's? Are these sx<--->sx friendships generally the ones you find extremely intense and satisfying? The ones you would say only happen once in a blue moon?

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Not sure I've had the experience. All I know is that it makes me my own worst cock block before a relationship and totally consumed once in one. It's painful...

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It appears that I am 5w4 sx/sp, so I have a question. Are sx/sp's well represented within all of the 16 MBTI types, or are we considerably more likely to be the introverted types (or intuitive types)?

Also, to other sx/sp's, have you found that you "connect" much better with other sx's? Are these sx<--->sx friendships generally the ones you find extremely intense and satisfying? The ones you would say only happen once in a blue moon?

I know some extrovert sx/sps (a couple of ENTPs on this forum come to mind). But introverts seem to be more common.

And yes I connect better with other sx types, especially sx/sps. They are very satisfying.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I am so/sx and my son is sx/sp. We butt heads like no tomorrow, but he also has a very strong attachment to me, something I would definatley say is an intense sx connection.

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Not sure I've had the experience. All I know is that it makes me my own worst cock block before a relationship and totally consumed once in one. It's painful...

Yeah, I can relate to that in a big way.

BlahBlahNounBlah

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
I know some extrovert sx/sps (a couple of ENTPs on this forum come to mind).

:hi::hug:

But yeah ... so's give me a weird vibe. I don't know how to type (so I can't tell you about an sp vs. sx difference), but I know when someone is primarily social because I detect that what they want from the interaction is not the same thing I want. They also tend to pay attention to things I don't think are important. A crossed wires feeling. Connecting to them is like trying to hug a fog.

Edasich

Enneagram
4w5
all the ppl i have connected best with have been sx/sp or sx/so (i'm sx/sp).

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
And yes I connect better with other sx types... They are very satisfying.

That.

so's and sp's don't tend to open up as deeply and easily as sx's ime.

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
:hi::hug:

But yeah ... so's give me a weird vibe. I don't know how to type (so I can't tell you about an sp vs. sx difference), but I know when someone is primarily social because I detect that what they want from the interaction is not the same thing I want. They also tend to pay attention to things I don't think are important. A crossed wires feeling. Connecting to them is like trying to hug a fog.

Wow - hard to imagine how difficult that might be. What's it like being an extrovert, but not being able to connect to the vast majority of people? I haven't come across many people in my life who want that deep, intimate connection, but I'm an introvert so I can just go back into my hole and pretty much be fine (although I still desire it and look for it). As an extrovert, you're naturally more drawn to people, but perhaps struggle to find it.

To all the others who responded, are there as many sx's as so's and sp's in the general population? After I determined that I was definitely sx, I thought about how many people in my life I've been able to really achieve that really deep connection with and I think I can count them on one hand. Seems like the other 99% of the population fall into the "trying to hug a fog" category for me.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Wow - hard to imagine how difficult that might be. What's it like being an extrovert, but not being able to connect to the vast majority of people? I haven't come across many people in my life who want that deep, intimate connection, but I'm an introvert so I can just go back into my hole and pretty much be fine. As an extrovert, you're naturally more drawn to people, but perhaps struggle to find it.

To all the others who responded, are there as many sx's as so's and sp's in the general population? After I determined that I was definitely sx, I thought about how many people in my life I've been able to really achieve that really deep connection with and I think I can count them on one hand.

Well typical extroversion is actually the social instinct in the enneagram. Extroversion in typology basically is how you're energized. Extroverts in typology are energized by the external world. Which doesn't have to be people. So I imagine an sx/sp extrovert does a lot of things alone to not go insane.

I'm not aware of any statistics when it comes to the percents of the instincts. That would be interesting though!

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Well typical extroversion is actually the social instinct in the enneagram. Extroversion in typology basically is how you're energized. Extroverts in typology are energized by the external world. Which doesn't have to be people. So I imagine an sx/sp extrovert does a lot of things alone to not go insane.

I'm not aware of any statistics when it comes to the percents of the instincts. That would be interesting though!

Oh, I get it (I think)! This begins to answer some of the questions in my OP. If I understand correctly, in the Enneagram, "so" would essentially be an extrovert, while sp and sx would be more introverted, or drawn to the inner world.

So, an ENTP sx/sp would probably like to be alone or in more intimate small group settings, yet energized by the outside world. It still seems like a difficult situation to be in.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Oh, I get it (I think)! This begins to answer some of the questions in my OP. If I understand correctly, in the Enneagram, "so" would essentially be an extrovert, while sp and sx would be more introverted, or drawn to the inner world.

So, an ENTP sx/sp would probably like to be alone or in more intimate small group settings, yet energized by the outside world. It still seems like a difficult situation to be in.

I think so, thats where I struggle as an ISTP so/sx. I think an ISTP sx/sp would struggle with sp as it comes across to me as more of a J trait.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Well sx is sort of neutral. sp doesn't make someone a typical "introvert," my best friend is an sp/so and he seems kind of in between the typical introvert and extrovert. I would say that social last people are the typical "introvert," while social firsts are the typical "extrovert." Social second people may seem in between (sx/so leaning more towards extrovert, sp/so leaning more towards introvert).

@ second paragraph- Yes. That's right. :)

speculative

Feelin' FiNe
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Social second people may seem in between (sx/so leaning more towards extrovert, sp/so leaning more towards introvert).

It seems like instinctual variant can be flavored by type also. I'm 4w5 (I think) and also sp/so, and fairly introverted...

Space_Oddity

MBTI Type
CAT
Instinctual Variant
so
Well sx is sort of neutral. sp doesn't make someone a typical "introvert," my best friend is an sp/so and he seems kind of in between the typical introvert and extrovert. I would say that social last people are the typical "introvert," while social firsts are the typical "extrovert." Social second people may seem in between (sx/so leaning more towards extrovert, sp/so leaning more towards introvert).

This is very interesting; it explains why I mistook my boyfriend, who is an ESTJ sp/sx, for an introvert for a very long time. At first I had a vibe that he's an extrovert, but getting to know him better, I found out he's got a huge need for alone time (he self-describes himself as a "loner"), which made me sure he's an introvert even though his Te seemed as strong as his Si and his Ne was also suspiciously high. But later it dawned on me that Te is unmistakeably his dom-function, while Ne is the other function through witch he connects with the world. Also, he seems to really enjoy "organizing" random people, and even though he's not too "social" in the common sense of the word, he does like being in the mix of friends - in fact, he seems more comfortable when he's among his not-too-close friends than when he's alone with me. -_-;;; (I'm glad his extroverstion clarified it a little...) He's clearly energizied by the outside world, which doesn't mean he has to love partying etc. I think it must be kind of strange for an extrovert to be a social last, though - it's sort of a paradox.

compulsiverambler

Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
This is very interesting; it explains why I mistook my boyfriend, who is an ESTJ sp/sx, for an introvert for a very long time. At first I had a vibe that he's an extrovert, but getting to know him better, I found out he's got a huge need for alone time (he self-describes himself as a "loner"), which made me sure he's an introvert even though his Te seemed as strong as his Si and his Ne was also suspiciously high. But later it dawned on me that Te is unmistakeably his dom-function, while Ne is the other function through witch he connects with the world. Also, he seems to really enjoy "organizing" random people, and even though he's not too "social" in the common sense of the word, he does like being in the mix of friends - in fact, he seems more comfortable when he's among his not-too-close friends than when he's alone with me. -_-;;; (I'm glad his extroverstion clarified it a little...) He's clearly energizied by the outside world, which doesn't mean he has to love partying etc. I think it must be kind of strange for an extrovert to be a social last, though - it's sort of a paradox.
That doesn't sound like social last to me. I'd guess sx last.

BlahBlahNounBlah

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Wow - hard to imagine how difficult that might be. What's it like being an extrovert, but not being able to connect to the vast majority of people? I haven't come across many people in my life who want that deep, intimate connection, but I'm an introvert so I can just go back into my hole and pretty much be fine (although I still desire it and look for it). As an extrovert, you're naturally more drawn to people, but perhaps struggle to find it.

It's frustrating. And it makes it very easy for certain people to hurt me, if they choose to. I have been hurt this way many times, so it makes me conscious of not getting too deep into contact unless I can see a good end. No matter how much I'm drawn to someone, if I get a clear indicator that the relationship won't go well, I'll limit my contact on purpose in the interest of practicality.

But I have found several amazing connections, and they're always like finding oases in the desert. And even better because they're rare. Right now, I'm thinking "there are many people out there to unite with (whether short or long term), and I have a chance to meet some of them."

I'm helped a bit by my T preference, so although I love intimate connection, my true love is realizing ideas. If I were going to describe a perfect situation, it would be someone I can connect with intimately and realize ideas with. I don't know if I'll find a partner like this, but it sounds like bliss.

:wubbie:

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It's frustrating. And it makes me very easy for certain people to hurt me, if they choose to. I have been hurt this way many times, so it makes me conscious of not getting too deep into contact unless I can see a good end. No matter how much I'm drawn to someone, if I get a clear indicator that the relationship won't go well, I'll limit my contact on purpose in the interest of practicality.

But I have found several amazing connections, and they're always like finding oases in the desert. And even better because they're rare. Right now, I'm thinking "there are many people out there to unite with (whether short or long term), and I have a chance to meet some of them."

I'm helped a bit by my T preference, so although I love intimate connection, my true love is realizing ideas. If I were going to describe a perfect situation, it would be someone I can connect with intimately and realize ideas with. I don't know if I'll find a partner like this, but it sounds like bliss.

Yeah, frustration and pain seems to be a big part of this instinct setup. I believe I feel similar about the bolded as well - it would be nice...

Space_Oddity

MBTI Type
CAT
Instinctual Variant
so
That doesn't sound like social last to me. I'd guess sx last.

Well, I probably slightly over-emphasized the characteristics you underlined, but thinking about it more, he actually might be sp/so... If so, sorry for the mystification ><;;; But I don't think his social instinct is too prominent anyway; I've definitely met some ESTJs who were far, far more "so" then him.

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

this is a very interesting notion. estj sp first. i know an estj who i'd speculate is 8w9. i'd put him as sp/so. it's very interesting for me to consider.

It's frustrating. And it makes it very easy for certain people to hurt me, if they choose to. I have been hurt this way many times, so it makes me conscious of not getting too deep into contact unless I can see a good end. No matter how much I'm drawn to someone, if I get a clear indicator that the relationship won't go well, I'll limit my contact on purpose in the interest of practicality.

how do you describe the differences for an sp last entp when moving on? you do get hurt, or take it to heart, more than most other entps? and the w6 creates a strong emphasis on the vulnerability of others, where it is easier to recognize what is difficult to directly address in yourself?

i think i know one entp 7w6 sx/sp. she was in my rhetoric class and we immediately hit it off. she got nervous when doing a presentation, which i found odd, bc she has absolutely no problem making an ass of herself, and she can think on her feet really well. yet if i compare the experience to myself, and tho i admittely am less comfortable free-wheeling with no direction bc my organization is based on Fe not Ne, and tho it is perhaps as a result easier for me to be disarming naturally and unconsciously but perhaps less consciously/strategically so, the sp to me just creates this limit that feels threatening and stressful. i can communicate as openly or loosely with one person as anyone else can. with two to three i am still very free. in a class of 10 i'm ok, especially if i have some strong foundation with another person. in a class of 20, i get nervous when i speak in front of them. why- i keep asking myself this question. but i think it's just the sp is constantly worried about over-extended, managing all the Fe impressions of others,, recognizing the quality of story as it is happening, etc but with a strong sx dom getting to where you want to go (kind of impatiently) energy.

i also resonate with the beginning paragraph of self-limiting. i started a thread on so/sx bc i tend to have insecurities with so/sx. and i realized much of this is that if i were to read myself into the situation, i would see problems that would cause hurt everywhere. i feel like i am learning that i need to limit myself purposefully as well, that allowing relationships to go unchecked may be a learning experience but may not suit my best interests or those i care about. it's not a problem for everyone, it's a problem for me bc it's difficult to be half-in or half-assedly out. i don't naturally enjoy distance, i want to destroy it. i am not content and i always desire more.

this tension is really fucking frustrating. bc this kind of energy is what draws me to people (the world) at all. others are exciting in that they can catalyze my energies, i can identify something i want, and then the experience of exploring and attaining those goals, and developing new and unexpected ones, keeps me unbored, passionate, etc. balancing being driven by your own desiring core and being balanced, grounded, more earthy and capable of slowness, being wise, etc, is a principle problem i will face the rest of my life. it's like, i go to tai chi, then i hope to be able to work faster and learn more and get more done, absorb more, go faster and faster- it's always just about those goddamned steroids, in a figurative sense.