• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Multiple Enneagram Subtypes/Instincts Descriptions of the Enneagram Instinctual Variants

compulsiverambler

Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Based on what you've written here, I'd say sp/so. That's what I got from you at first anyways (before you got into finding it for yourself). As a 5 it can be difficult to identify the social instinct because of the 5's naturally withdrawn nature. Glad I could help.
Thanks, I'll probably make up my mind soon. To the extent that I ever really make up my mind about this stuff. One thing though, do you mean that you felt I was sp/so before the discussion arose at all, or just before that last post? If so, I'm curious about what traits or behaviours give that impression. Unless it's just a sense you can't explain, I get that about people here too, it's annoying.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Thanks, I'll probably make up my mind soon. To the extent that I ever really make up my mind about this stuff. One thing though, do you mean that you felt I was sp/so before the discussion arose at all, or just before that last post? If so, I'm curious about what traits or behaviours give that impression. Unless it's just a sense you can't explain, I get that about people here too, it's annoying.

It's an Fi vibe. I've learned to type people based on how people affect me internally. And it was when you weren't even posting about enneagram, before this discussion.

compulsiverambler

Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
It's an Fi vibe. I've learned to type people based on how people affect me internally. And it was when you weren't even posting about enneagram, before this discussion.
Interesting. Yes, that's what I do, more easily with MB types though. Sometimes I can start to pin point what little things probably give me the feelings, but not always. Your photographs and videos strike me as very ISFP, in the same way. :)

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Don't know what I am, someone tell me kaythnx :)

Also, pls get it right.

BlueGray

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Other than the online descriptions do you have any methods to figure out instincts? I'm having a hard time matching any to me. I can identify partially with all of the descriptions used for 5s. So far the only conclusion I've come to is that social is probably 2nd. I'm not all that confident in this much, though.

paradox fox

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Ok, so when I first read about the individual instincts, I related the most to SX, then SO, then SP in that order.

SX: In relationships, conversation and feelings, I need deep meaning and intensity.
SO: I need to feel accepted and understood.
SP: What? I have to eat once in a while?

Then I read the pairings and I realized SP is actually a pretty important factor in my life. I don't relate much to SX/SO like I thought I would, and I'm definitely not SO dominant. So now I have the dilemma a bunch of other people have: SX/SP or SP/SX?

SP/SX gave me a reality check as to how other people view me. Outwardly I seem calm, earthy and mysterious, but inwardly I relate to SX/SP strongly. I guess it kind of oscillates. Depends on how I'm using my extraverted cognitive functions (Ne, Fe, Se, but never Te).

So I guess xNFP 4 SP/SX. My being reduced to a code.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

YAY -- another TypologyCentral success story!

(And once we code the world, we'll upload everyone onto a hard drive and inadvertently create peace on earth.)

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Then I read the pairings and I realized SP is actually a pretty important factor in my life. I don't relate much to SX/SO like I thought I would, and I'm definitely not SO dominant. So now I have the dilemma a bunch of other people have: SX/SP or SP/SX?

SP/SX gave me a reality check as to how other people view me. Outwardly I seem calm, earthy and mysterious, but inwardly I relate to SX/SP strongly. I guess it kind of oscillates. Depends on how I'm using my extraverted cognitive functions (Ne, Fe, Se, but never Te).

your picture doesn't seem sp/sx to me. i'd guess sx first.

neptunesnet

man-made
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5&4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Lately I've been beating my brains out trying to figure out my variant order, and from this description I'd say I'm sp/sx [formerly sx/sp] but because of social conditioning can appear so.

:yes: That seems about right.

Sexual types gravitate toward people they feel magnetized by, regardless of the person's potential for helping them or their social standing. It is as if they were asking, "Where is the juice in this room? Whose energy is the most intense?"

whoa...that's a trip i do do that.

Yeah, even as a newly sp dom I still tend to do that. *shrugs*

Raised Southern Baptist (anyone really surprised?)

WTF? Me, too!

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I dunno neptune... you don't seem to be as distant and withdrawn as an sp dom to me... An example of an sp/sx 4w5 on here is OrangeAppled. And your intensity would also say otherwise for sx dom. Why do you think you're an sp dom? I'm a bit skeptical of this book's definition personally.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Orange is pretty intense still though..for reference, I believe I'm an sx-so, see if you can find the differences perhaps in styles. It might help Neptune along.

neptunesnet

man-made
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5&4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Well, I relate much more to

The Self-Preservation Variant

Most people can easily identify this Instinctual Variant. Self Preservation types are preoccupied with getting and maintaining physical safety and comfort, which often translates into concerns about food, clothing, money, housing, and physical healthy, These issues are their main priority, and in pursuing them, other areas of their lives may suffer.

For example, we might identify this Instinctual Variant in ourselves or others by observing what a person would first notice on entering a room. Self Preservation types tend to focus on the comfort of the environment. Does the environment support their sense of well being? They are quick to notice and respond to poor lighting, or uncomfortable chairs, or to be dissatisfied with the room temperature, and they are constantly adjusting these things. They may wonder when their next meal or coffee break will come, worry if there will be enough food, or if it will be the kind they like, or if it will meet their dietary requirements.

When this instinct is functioning harmoniously with the personality type, these people can be earthy and practical. They apply their energies to taking care of basic life necessities- creating a secure environment, shopping, maintaining the home and workplace, paying bills, and acquiring useful skills so that the orderly flow of life will not be interrupted. When the personality becomes unhealthy, however, it distorts the instinct, causing these people to take poor care of themselves, possibly developing eating and sleeping disorders. They may stock up on too many things, overbuy, overeat, and overpurge themselves of unnecessary "baggage" of all sorts.

Less healthy Self Preservation types let themselves go physically, or they become obsessive about health and food matters, or both. Further, their normal practicality and financial sense may become distorted, resulting in problems with money and organizing their affairs. If the Self Preservation instinct becomes completely overwhelmed by personality issues, individuals may engage in deliberately self-destructive behavior, in which the instinct has the effect of turning against itself.

than to

The Sexual Variant

Sexual types tend to have difficulty pursuing their own projects or taking adequate care of themselves, because on a subconscious level, they are always looking outside themselves for the person or situation that will complete them. They are like a plug looking for a socket and can become obsessed with another if they feel they have the right person for them. They may neglect important obligations, or even their own basic necessities, if they are swept up in someone or something that has captivated them.

When they are unhealthy, Sexual types can experience a scattering of their attention and a profound lack of focus. They may act out in sexual promiscuity or become trapped in a fearful, dysfunctions attitude toward sex and intimacy. When the latter becomes their orientation, they will be equally intense about their avoidances.

Also, I'm a little more AHHH! on here than irl. Admittedly, foruming is all text, and that makes it much more easy for me to adjust. But, if it changes anything I feel very close to both the sexual and the self-preservational variant overall. I was having a hard time deciding which was dominant, actually.

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
According to what I've read, sexuals peoples tend to be helpless and dependant and rather idealistic in relationships, is'nt it?

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I dunno neptune... you don't seem to be as distant and withdrawn as an sp dom to me... An example of an sp/sx 4w5 on here is OrangeAppled. And your intensity would also say otherwise for sx dom. Why do you think you're an sp dom? I'm a bit skeptical of this book's definition personally.

I've been considering 5w4 sx/sp lately (the 5 sx being both withdrawn with a protected intensity)....is this just my Ne out of control? :D

Fours and Fives can easily be mistyped by others, and Fives, especially with the Four wing, sometimes mistype as Fours. Such Fives recognize that they have strong emotions and don't identify with the often extremely cerebral portrait of type Five. But, Fives, unlike Fours, always retain some degree of discomfort when it comes to the experience and expression of their emotional states. Fives tend to fear emotional overwhelm; Fours to welcome it.

That last line makes me think 5, and I very much relate to this:

Five With a 4 Wing

The difference between the 4 wing and the 6 wing in Fives is like the difference between Art and Science. 4 wing brings an abstract, intuitive cast of thought, as though the Five were thinking in geometric shapes instead of words or realistic images. May be talented artistically and inhabit moods like Fours do. Combine intellectual and emotional imagination. Enjoy the realm of philosophy and beautiful constructs of thought. The marriage of mental perspective and aesthetics is the best of life for them.

When more defensive may seem a little ghostly, have a whisper in their voice. Fluctuate between impersonal withdrawal and bursts of friendly caring. Can get floaty and abstract. Act like they're inside a bubble, sometimes with an air of implicit superiority. Cliché of the "absentminded professor" applies especially to Fives with this wing.
Environmentally sensitive and subject at times to total overwhelm. Touchy about criticism. Can be slow to recover from traumatic events. Melancholy isolation and bleak existential depression are possible pitfalls.

The Sexual Instinct in the Five [5w4]

"This is my world" (Ichazo's "Confidence") In the average range, the detachment and avoidance characteristic of Fives clash with the Sexual variant's desire for intense connection. Sexual Fives like sharing secret information with their intimates ("I've never told anyone this"). But they are always experiencing some degree of tension between pursuing those they are attracted to and lacking confidence in their social skills. Thus, Sexual Fives are driven to engage intensely with people, although often with anxiety and a tendency to withdraw at a moment's notice. They are more affable and talkative than the other two Instinctual variants of type Five, but can cause others surprise and consternation when they unexpectedly "drop out" and disappear for periods of time. On the one hand, when romantically interested in someone, they can become extremely open and merged, more like Nines. On the other, when they feel unappreciated or misunderstood, they can quickly become emotionally distant. Powerful connections with others alternate with long periods of isolation.

The sexual Instinct mixes with intellect to produce intense imagination. Sexual Fives create alternate realities-private "worlds" of various kinds-that they present to potential intimates. They are looking for the ideal mate, the mate for life, who will not be turned back by their intensity/strangeness. ("Does this intensity frighten you?") Strong sexuality gives Sexual Fives the impetus to risk emotional contact, and also provides relief from their constant mental activity. It becomes a way to "ground" themselves. But in less healthy Fives, the mix of imagination and sexuality can become dark and fetishistic: they can become lost in disturbing fantasies and dreams.

In the unhealthy range, longing for the lost love and feelings of rejection can lead Sexual Fives into isolation and self-destructive behavior. They are often drawn, through voyeurism, into dangerous lifestyles, and can be attracted to society's underbelly.

Sexual/Self-pres [type 5]

This subtype has a lot in common the self-pres/sexual instinctual stacking. They experience many of the same internal conflicts surrounding relationships, the need for independence and emotional expression. The sexual/self-pres subtype differs however in being more intense, more counterphobic. They entertain more dark nihilistic ideas, ideas that most others don’t want to consider.

With this subtype, a lot of energy revolves around the issue of boundaries. Sexual/self-pres Fives tend to forge strong connections quickly and deeply, but if they feel betrayed, begin to feel overwhelmed, or if they feel that the connection doesn’t serve their true needs, can seem to cut the connection precipitously and “go cold.” They have high standards for significant others. They must feel that they can share their emotions with a significant other without being judged. This is their private world that they share. Relationships can be difficult, because individuals of this subtype will still want their own space and alone time, while at other times will want intense connection. Because the social instinct is least developed, this subtype is not very concerned with how others perceive them (except their intimates). This subtype is deceptive in that they may not seem to be especially intense - until they are engaged in a conversation they find interesting. Then the intensity and emotion become apparent. The internal struggle for this subtype is similar to that of the self-pres/sexual, but more energized and volatile, and getting to know this subtype means getting to know that.

When unhealthy, the energy of the sexual instinct can combine with the dominant type Five fixation to create a very impulsive Eight-like anger. The strength of their convictions can then come out quite forcefully.

I can also relate to these.... the sx/sp being that I am more temperamental than even I'd like to admit, although my outbursts are confined to more private contexts. I still fear being emotional because it drains me, but my moodiness is always lurking just beneath the surface.

Self/Sexual [type 4]

This subtype also cares very much about their surroundings and their possessions. They feel as if these things help to express who they are. There is more of a passionate sense about them as compared to the self/soc. They have more of a sensual relationship with their environment. These Fours are much more tortured by their difficulty with respect to maintaining close relationships. The self-preservational instinct tends to be in conflict with the sexual instinct, causing this subtype to habitually analyze their relationships to the point where they find it difficult to be present to them. When unhealthy, these Fours can become very disdainful of the social environment. They also start to envy the ease with which others seem to form relationships and maintain friendships. When Fours of this subtype are healthy, they find that they can form relationships without feeling as though they are sacrificing authenticity. They no longer feel that they have to automatically define themselves as "different from others," as outside the group. They are able to see the ways in which their emotionality might cloud their better judgment and to use that insight to establish equilibrium.

Sexual/Self-pres [type 4]

This is a very volatile type. They are driven to form connections but have very high demands of their partners. When their powerful fantasies don’t match reality, they become very restless. They take the fire and passion of the sexual instinct and turn it inward. This can cause both brooding and fiery outbursts. Dramatic mood swings are very likely with this type. This subtype of Four could be considered the most classic Four, because of the way they seem to embody the archetype of the tortured artist, although not all Fours of this subtype are artists. Stereotype aside, this subtype does tend to bring their emotions into focus more readily then the other subtypes of Four. What is under the surface with the self-pres/sexual is now bubbling to the surface. This subtype can resemble type Seven because of their drama, passion for experience and tendency to suffer from frustration when life seems dull. Like type Seven, they can seem to throw themselves into experience.

When healthy, this subtype learns to balance the need for passion with the less obvious need for groundedness which can come from solid and focused relationships with others and with their creative outlets.

Last edited:

ayoitsStepho

Twerking & Lurking
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
We need more SO's up in here.

neptunesnet

man-made
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5&4
Instinctual Variant
sx
I've been considering 5w4 sx/sp lately (the 5 sx being both withdrawn with a protected intensity)....is this just my Ne out of control?

I believed I was a Sexual Five until I came into this sub-forum... :doh:

So many of the descriptions are vague, and they could be, and often are, interpreted different ways. It's strange because I may not identify with a stacking at all until it is paired with an certain enneatype, and then suddenly it's either just right or just wrong - it's that immediate. I don't know. I think I was slowly succumbing to the notion that INFPs can't be Fives. *shrug* Good thing the hole is shallow.

Last edited:

JustHer

Pumpernickel
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Hmmmmmmmmmm I havent read this thread until now but that was perty helpful

sx>so>sp for me!!