• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Multiple Enneagram Subtypes/Instincts Examples of Different 7 and 3 Subtypes

Burning Paradigm

Vibe Curator & Night Owl
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I've been reading up on the different types of 7 and 3 subtypes (so, sx, and sp) and the different stacking for both those types; I'm vacillating between 7w6 and 3w4, but I'm confident I'll narrow it down soon. The problem is, I can relate to all the instinctual variants and their priorities to some degree, so I'm having trouble narrowing it down. With that, I had a few questions:

1) Who are some examples of famous people within these subtypes (maybe I could pick up on similar cues or motivations within myself)?

2) What are some ways I can eliminate different stackings or become more aware of which instinctual variants fit me (e.g. what behavioral patterns align more with which stackings, etc.)?

3) Silly question (Asking for a friend :)): Does an interest or fascination with politics and social issues equate or likely indicate so in someone's stacking? Just because there's often group dynamics involved in those spheres, and it would seem someone with a so-instinct in their stacking would gravitate to those issues.

RadicalDoubt

Alongside Questionable Clarity
MBTI Type
TiSi
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
As a good resource, I've found that this site helps a lot, particularly this page: Instinct Stacking — Enneagrammer. This page is a little less "biased" than some other sources I've come across.

1) I cannot provide you with specific examples because, quite honestly, there are few people have come to consensus about since the instinctual variants are generally tough for people to figure out unless you're somewhat archetypal. Sorry about this, others may have better examples. Technically the site above has celebrity typings, but I haven't been able to verify many due to the fact that I just don't know people as a whole hahah.

2) For many people, instinctual variants are not intuitive at all, so it's not unusual to struggle figuring out which one works best. However, it's generally agreed up that your relationship with a specific core type and instinctual variant individually often far exceeds relationship with subtypes (outside of theoretically extrapolation perhaps). Generally speaking, subtype descriptions can vary drastically from source to source and, similar to tritype descriptions, are considered to be somewhat unreliable. Narrow down your core first individually, narrow down possibilities for your iv not considering enneagram core, and when your done make sure you're considering things which may influence stacking (ie. 7s as a whole are impulsive regardless of stacking, which may make general descriptions tailor towards sp blindness, as an attachment type, 3s description has a strong trend towards sx blindness, etc etc).

3) It depends on why you're interested. If you are specifically noticing the "group dynamics involved in the spheres," than soc is definitely somewhere in your stack, as soc specifically is a function that puts heavy consideration into group dynamics as a whole. Generally speaking though, strong interest in politics is often attributed to the presence of soc (though I wouldn't say it's anti-soc blindness either).

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type
Iᑎᖴᑭ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've been reading up on the different types of 7 and 3 subtypes (so, sx, and sp) and the different stacking for both those types; I'm vacillating between 7w6 and 3w4, but I'm confident I'll narrow it down soon. The problem is, I can relate to all the instinctual variants and their priorities to some degree, so I'm having trouble narrowing it down. With that, I had a few questions:

1) Who are some examples of famous people within these subtypes (maybe I could pick up on similar cues or motivations within myself)?

Database List — Enneagrammer has a long list...

2) What are some ways I can eliminate different stackings or become more aware of which instinctual variants fit me (e.g. what behavioral patterns align more with which stackings, etc.)?

Could you possibly make a collage of images that appeal to you? (It could be helpful in suggesting where you could look first.)

You could look at which areas you feel most comfortable in, and which you struggle the most, which are important to you, and which you don't care about or fail to see the importance of. It's often said that the middle instinct can be a "playground" area, an easier area where we don't struggle as much. And that we use it to meet our dominant instinct.

There's also an idea of synflow and contraflow. sx/sp/so in whatever order are synflow, and are drawn toward others and involvement, while sx/so/sp are contraflow and are compelled away from others. Just from your vibe and the small interactions we've had here, I would guess you're synflow.

3) Silly question (Asking for a friend :)): Does an interest or fascination with politics and social issues equate or likely indicate so in someone's stacking? Just because there's often group dynamics involved in those spheres, and it would seem someone with a so-instinct in their stacking would gravitate to those issues.

Not at all a silly question. It can, yes. If it's something you base your identity on in particular, I think (for instance, people of all types could support some social movement - say gay marriage, but if you base your identity on it, it's more reflective of having so higher in your stacking.)

Burning Paradigm

Vibe Curator & Night Owl
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
[MENTION=35566]Luminous[/MENTION] The collage approach is a good idea; I think 7 is a good sample size lmao. But, let me know if you need more and I can PM you (and yes, one of them is my avatar lol)!

6KgBXmV.jpg

o7RPZRe.jpg

mCBjNSq.jpg

tpdwAtn.jpg

LlPLr66.jpg

d5kTiXh.jpg

aVMeXmL.jpg

Sorry, the picture format is inconsistent. I don't know wtf is wrong with my laptop today.

Attachments

• 6fMKoH.jpg
    6fMKoH.jpg
    272.9 KB · Views: 16
Last edited by a moderator:

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type
Iᑎᖴᑭ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=33717]Hermit of the Forest[/MENTION] [MENTION=9811]Coriolis[/MENTION] [MENTION=13112]Stigmata[/MENTION] [MENTION=5159]Lexicon[/MENTION] [MENTION=30038]The Cat[/MENTION] or another mod, could you please fix the images? Thank you. :)

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type
Iᑎᖴᑭ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Thank you, [MENTION=33717]Hermit of the Forest[/MENTION], for making it where I can see the images! I hope the forum update makes sharing images easier for everyone!

There's a ton of so in the images, Burner. :D I think so/sp/sx. There's eye contact, so many people, people interacting, idealism, icons/symbols, strong focus on social roles... that goes against me saying synflow, but some people don't believe in that anyway (like [MENTION=34313]RadicalDoubt[/MENTION] ) I could be wrong, but from my experience, a 7 or 3 so/sx would be lighter, airier, more playful/sparkly, diffused, scattered - the neon colors make me think of that, but it's only in one image. Hope that was helpful.

Burning Paradigm

Vibe Curator & Night Owl
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Thank you, [MENTION=33717]Hermit of the Forest[/MENTION], for making it where I can see the images! I hope the forum update makes sharing images easier for everyone!

There's a ton of so in the images, Burner. :D I think so/sp/sx. There's eye contact, so many people, people interacting, idealism, icons/symbols, strong focus on social roles... that goes against me saying synflow, but some people don't believe in that anyway (like [MENTION=34313]RadicalDoubt[/MENTION] ) I could be wrong, but from my experience, a 7 or 3 so/sx would be lighter, airier, more playful/sparkly, diffused, scattered - the neon colors make me think of that, but it's only in one image. Hope that was helpful.

I appreciate it, as always (and you, as well, [MENTION=34313]RadicalDoubt[/MENTION]) :D I'm very friendly on the Internet, but I'm hot-and-cold with going towards and from others irl. I think I've been in a rut listening to old romantic songs and pining for that sort of idealistic love lmao. That's probably why I was thinking sx, but so/sp might fit better lmao.

I'm not as familiar with the synflow and contraflow theories, so I'll look into them a little more. How exactly do they work? Suppose I'm an so/sp at my core, right? Does that mean I can go into either sp/sx or sx/so during given situations, depending on the circumstances or conditions?

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type
Iᑎᖴᑭ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
From Stackings * EnneaSite by David Gray
Flow #2 ~ contraflow stackings

sx/so (gods) = cultural revolutionary ~ attractive social catalyst, steering popular culture/the arts/the cultural zeitgeist in a new direction using potent new creative forms
so/sp (titans) = culture warrior ~ social change by force and/or eternal higher principle, the booming thundering ‘voice of God’, the loftiest educators and highest clerics
sp/sx (Hell) = acultural solipsism ~ counterculture original, underbelly exposure, smoldering mysterian, the fermenting underground, cool & detached

Outliers, antisocial, energetically autonomous, chemically provocative, reverse-flow change catalysts. On some level, successfully rejecting the human condition…their own and that of others. Priest-gods of their own cult and eco-system.

The bolded may fit well. :)