• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Multiple Enneagram Subtypes/Instincts Enneagram 9 instinct differences

badatlife

MBTI Type
IxFx
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
How does sp 9 and so 9 look different? How do you determine which you are? Also how does this differ with w1 and w8?

Zhaylin

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Heh, just another reason to trust my self-typing of 945 " Whereas other 9's (ex. 954/963) might actively avoid this "merge" by avoiding others or preemptively saying "no" to people." My kids ask "Hey, can you do me a favor?" I automatically shoot back with "I doubt it." rofl.

I was looking for one site among my bookmarks but found another: Enneagram Type 9 - Enneagram Universe (Good God, I loathe that black background though!!!)
Great info about the different functions. It gave me more questions though:
"The stacking that flows the most WITH 9:
-SX​/SO

The stacking that flows the most against 9:
-SP/SO"

What the heck does that even mean lol? Is it 'the stacking more common for 9' or is it talking about the interactions of others when dealing with a 9?
Maybe [MENTION=35920]Ixaerus[/MENTION] could help?

I'll keep looking for that other site...

**EDIT**
Here's one good site: Type Nine — The Enneagram Institute But it's not the one I was thinking about either lol.
It may be easier/faster to google what the differences are rofl (rushing off to see for myself)...

Okay... this site is even better than the one I was trying to find. Nine Stacks | The Enneagram ...info from the underground.
For sp/so (me), it says in part:
"This subtype is the most self-effacing of type Nine, possibly the least assertive of all the enneagram types. They can feel as though they have been looked over and passed by. While they do desire attention and recognition, with the sexual instinct last in the stacking, they seldom actively pursue it. They feel as though it’s just not worth it. This subtype is usually very deliberate and methodical in their speech. They sometimes get frustrated because they don’t feel that they can say what they really want to say. They are therefore often very short and concise with their communication, not wanting to provoke any confrontation. But when given a chance and the time to express themselves, they can be quite talkative. While self-pres needs are important to this type, the fact that they are essentially Nines, sometimes causes them to put the needs of others before their own. When under stress, this type is likely to do busy work, anything that distracts them from their problems."

For so/sx (you?), it says in part:
"This subtype is “everyone’s friend.” The social/sexual energy combines with the Nine’s merging tendency and conflict avoidance to create a subtype that is very charming and uses humor quite extensively to engage with the people in their lives. On the down side, they can be frustrating because they can easily lose focus when it comes to their life priorities. With the self-pres instinct last in the stacking, they have a hard time tending to their own needs. They drift, and tend to use their charm to get a lot of their self-pres needs met by the people in their lives. When the Eight wing is dominant, they sometimes even develop a sense of entitlement, though they are just as likely to return help to those they charm into helping them."

Now, to hunt down the wings...

Earl Grey

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
What the heck does that even mean lol? Is it 'the stacking more common for 9' or is it talking about the interactions of others when dealing with a 9?
Maybe @Ixaerus could help?

I'll keep looking for that other site...

I am not sure about the actual statistics, and I cannot find any, but supposedly sx is the rarest variant across the board.

Sadly, since the site itself does not explain, I can only guess that they mean / subscribe to that theory (sounds a bit like countertype theory) that IVs are natural 'pulls' so to speak, and some flow 'with' the natural workings and motivations of a type more than others, and some 'counter' them. For examples of 'flow', Enneagram 5 gets along with sp well with their withdrawn, and generally reserved tendencies, Enneagram 6 with their tendency of preparing, anticipating, troubleshooting, generally keeping things 'stable' and 'safe' and being security-oriented, 9s with 'merging' (which is often correlated with sx), and it goes on. However, there is no solid consensus on this, some say that sx goes against 5 because it's intimacy VS detachment (makes sense), and this site itself gives sp/sx to be the IV that flows most with 5 (meaning soc is least 'compatible', instead of just sx) though as you can see, it is not really explained why.

Generally speaking, I'd say look at the enneatype and nature of the IV itself and try get a deeper understanding of what it actually means and how they actually work together and look into why, for example, sp 5 and sp 6 'withdrawn' are not the same. sp E4 and sp E8 'aggression' are not the same, neither is soc 6 or soc 1 'compliance'. so that is something to keep in mind when using certain traits to explain several enneatypes at once in relation to IV.

Sadly, I am not that well-versed in the details of E9 IVs, but if you want some tips- IV works in a similar flow no matter your enneatype. If you can find out your IV and stacking, it can also help you find out your enneatype, and possibly even more accurately differentiate them- certain types can look similar on the surface depending on IV. For example, sp E3s can look like and mistype as 1s, sx E5s with E4, and so on. I'd say Beatrice Chestnut (especially if you want to get into IVs and countertypes) and Tom Condon are decent sources for enneagram IVs, especially because they go into a little more detail on the traits differentiating them than just giving overall descriptions.

Zhaylin

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Thank you, Ix.
I seemed to recall you were most familiar with Enneagrams in general. I'll look into those recommendations.
The basics (IV's and wings) seem fairly easy to find info on, but once I start hunting tritypes, it becomes almost impossible :dry:

Here's something I found on our wings: Enneagram 9w1 vs 9w8 – Enneagram Paths

"... 9w1s are generally nice people, like all Nines, and the One wing adds judicious and tactful tendencies. The One wing helps the Nine have a sense of acceptable social behaviors and good conduct. This subtype is much more reserved and orderly than 9w8s. They are less prone to bursts of anger like the other subtype. 9w1s are often spiritually oriented people... [9w1's] are adept and patient mediators, social justice initiators, wise sages showing others different paths to the Divine, and generally, they seek to create unity wherever they go. You will experience a 9w1 as a comforting, calm, person who has a firm belief that their efforts towards harmony are important in creating a better world..."

"... 9w8s bring a stable, calm, firm, and solid energy into places and situations. The Eight wing brings an aura of strength to the easygoing Type Nine. Their strength is much more reserved and detached than the aggression and raw power of the pure Type Eight, though. The Eight wing helps the Nine to move through life with more common sense, directness, and a take-charge attitude. 9w8s can be leaders, CEOs of big corporations, or politically inclined... [9w8's] are usually very cool under pressure and don’t resort to despair in the face of crisis. Other people truly like and follow 9w8 leaders because they are powerful and compelling, while also being kindhearted, serene, and pleasant."

I hope we've helped some.

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type
Iᑎᖴᑭ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I am not sure about the actual statistics, and I cannot find any, but supposedly sx is the rarest variant across the board.

Sadly, since the site itself does not explain, I can only guess that they mean / subscribe to that theory (sounds a bit like countertype theory) that IVs are natural 'pulls' so to speak, and some flow 'with' the natural workings and motivations of a type more than others, and some 'counter' them. For examples of 'flow', Enneagram 5 gets along with sp well with their withdrawn, and generally reserved tendencies, Enneagram 6 with their tendency of preparing, anticipating, troubleshooting, generally keeping things 'stable' and 'safe' and being security-oriented, 9s with 'merging' (which is often correlated with sx), and it goes on. However, there is no solid consensus on this, some say that sx goes against 5 because it's intimacy VS detachment (makes sense), and this site itself gives sp/sx to be the IV that flows most with 5 (meaning soc is least 'compatible', instead of just sx) though as you can see, it is not really explained why.

Generally speaking, I'd say look at the enneatype and nature of the IV itself and try get a deeper understanding of what it actually means and how they actually work together and look into why, for example, sp 5 and sp 6 'withdrawn' are not the same. sp E4 and sp E8 'aggression' are not the same, neither is soc 6 or soc 1 'compliance'. so that is something to keep in mind when using certain traits to explain several enneatypes at once in relation to IV.

Sadly, I am not that well-versed in the details of E9 IVs, but if you want some tips- IV works in a similar flow no matter your enneatype. If you can find out your IV and stacking, it can also help you find out your enneatype, and possibly even more accurately differentiate them- certain types can look similar on the surface depending on IV. For example, sp E3s can look like and mistype as 1s, sx E5s with E4, and so on. I'd say Beatrice Chestnut (especially if you want to get into IVs and countertypes) and Tom Condon are decent sources for enneagram IVs, especially because they go into a little more detail on the traits differentiating them than just giving overall descriptions.

That is how I took it.

Edited to add: I think sp/so would flow the most against the nature of the 9 because, as sp dom (it's primarily concerned with self preservation,) and sx-last, it's not going to flow as easily into merging as the other 9 variants. In order of willingness to merge, I think, sx>so>sp...