• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Multiple Enneagram Subtypes/Instincts Example Thread for how the Second Instinct Supports the First

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type
Iᑎᖴᑭ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
More of our focus goes to our dominant instinct. It's the area we value most and fixate on. We might be better at the second instinct. I thought it would be interesting to start a thread for examples of how the second instinct might be used in support of the first.

Like this:

sx/sp: Exercise/diet (sp) to increase attractiveness (sx)

notmyapples

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
sx/so: Practicing social charm with the intent of attracting a wide selection of people (so) and then focusing on a specific few with who the most natural chemistry is felt (sx)

Earl Grey

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
It's interesting how one prioritizes their first instinct and uses the rest to support it, but it doesn't always work out that way, sometimes come to a situation where they are at odds. sp/sx or sx/sp has good common examples of how two instincts become at odds at each other, hot-cold push-pulling, intimacy and distance (note I say become; they are not inherently against each other necessarily all the time).

I wonder also about accounts of other instinct combinations and where and how they become at odds at each other.

notmyapples

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
It's interesting how one prioritizes their first instinct and uses the rest to support it, but it doesn't always work out that way, sometimes come to a situation where they are at odds. sp/sx or sx/sp has good common examples of how two instincts become at odds at each other, hot-cold push-pulling, intimacy and distance (note I say become; they are not inherently against each other necessarily all the time).

I wonder also about accounts of other instinct combinations and where and how they become at odds at each other.

I think those examples of what can appear like sp and sx clashing is not actually the two instincts clashing as much as it is them lacking so. The pushing and pulling of sp and sx is not at odds with each other as it is still behaving in a way that serves the desires of both instincts, 'I no longer feel the desire for intimacy with this person therefore I am going to retract' is definitely sx-driven behavior, except the person retracts into sp without so to cushion the push of the other person. The closest you get to instincts clashing is contraflow, but even then I wouldn't describe it as a clash between the instincts as much as a struggle due to the directional flow of energy. Every stacking suffers from the lack of the third instinct, this is simply readily apparent from so-blinds due to the observable nature of so itself.

Earl Grey

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I think those examples of what can appear like sp and sx clashing is not actually the two instincts clashing as much as it is them lacking so. The pushing and pulling of sp and sx is not at odds with each other as it is still behaving in a way that serves the desires of both instincts, 'I no longer feel the desire for intimacy with this person therefore I am going to retract' is definitely sx-driven behavior, except the person retracts into sp without so to cushion the push of the other person. The closest you get to instincts clashing is contraflow, but even then I wouldn't describe it as a clash between the instincts as much as a struggle due to the directional flow of energy. Every stacking suffers from the lack of the third instinct, this is simply readily apparent from so-blinds due to the observable nature of so itself.

Interesting, I did not know this. I'm unfamiliar with the instinct flows. At first I thought, 'I no longer feel the desire for intimacy with this person therefore I am going to retract' - isn't that sp? Then realized it was still sx-based (through the lens of intimacy, be it wanting, avoiding, or rejecting it) to begin with. Your explanation makes sense, I would have to look into it.

For myself, mine tends to be that I generally think the more people work together, the better the security. Think neighbourhood structures; you have police, you have a security system going on, and there is strength in numbers. If you are in a pack, a 'gang', you'll be tougher, and can take care of each other- say, a traditional example would be the woman cooks while the husband works, then you have more people doing this-and-that other things. Something like that.

The wider the social circle, the wider and more diverse the selection of resources you have.
Oh wow, I'm sounding like some order of self-pres / social ennea 3 or 7 . . .

notmyapples

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
For myself, mine tends to be that I generally think the more people work together, the better the security. Think neighbourhood structures; you have police, you have a security system going on, and there is strength in numbers. If you are in a pack, a 'gang', you'll be tougher, and can take care of each other- say, a traditional example would be the woman cooks while the husband works, then you have more people doing this-and-that other things. Something like that.

The wider the social circle, the wider and more diverse the selection of resources you have.
Oh wow, I'm sounding like some order of self-pres / social ennea 3 or 7 . . .[/S]

I think your explanation is a great example of how sp and so work in conjunction, a focus on the resources that can potentially be obtained by widening one's social influence.

RadicalDoubt

Alongside Questionable Clarity
MBTI Type
TiSi
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
sp/so - Using the social sphere/community to obtain needs and maintain safety (ie. Shields the self via social)

or perhaps using social attentiveness to keep others at bay and maintain boundaries?

Edit: I'm hoping I didn't just mirror Ix's post lol

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Sp realizes not having bonds with people = eventual insanity. Sx gives it what it wants, sp's reaction:

4tGIQ1S.png

Zhaylin

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Even though I'm sp/so, I:
am nice to darn near everyone which allows me to escape socializing faster and minimize my contact with chaos :D

My primary is sp. I just want to be left alone, to myself. I prefer my interactions to be as brief as possible. Pleasantry and socializing are walls of protection.
Of course, if someone NEEDS me, I'll be there. But my instinct is solitude, which = sp for me.

**EDIT**
I hope I'm not misunderstanding this thread!

notmyapples

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
so/sp: Excessive working to obtain money (sp) and increase social standing (so)

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
Sp/Sx - I desire a mate to aid in my sense of security, well-being, and survival.

I always thought it was interesting that Sp types are so heavily attributed with independence and self-reliance. Yes, it's completely true that they have those qualities, but by default, their natural strategy is to use others to support themselves.

That's why Sp/Sx is often said to be the most selfish type. They are mainly concerned with their own survival, and they lack the warmth and broad reciprocation of the Social instinct, favoring instead a union with only one (or very few).

Just look at me. :happy2:

Permabanned
Sp/Sx - I desire a mate to aid in my sense of security, well-being, and survival.

I always thought it was interesting that Sp types are so heavily attributed with independence and self-reliance. Yes, it's completely true that they have those qualities, but by default, their natural strategy is to use others to support themselves.

That's why Sp/Sx is often said to be the most selfish type. They are mainly concerned with their own survival, and they lack the warmth and broad reciprocation of the Social instinct, favoring instead a union with only one (or very few).

Just look at me. :happy2:

:drunk:

Jiya

MBTI Type
ENxP
Enneagram
7w6
What about so/sx, peeps? How does sx support soc needs? Does the so/sx use social strategies to get closer to/achieve intimate connections to get their sx fix?

Lord Lavender

Bluered Trickster
MBTI Type
EVLF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
As a So/Sp I think my Sp supports my So by hmmm wanting to seem well polished and put together (Sp) so I can look good socially (So).

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
What about so/sx, peeps? How does sx support soc needs? Does the so/sx use social strategies to get closer to/achieve intimate connections to get their sx fix?

No, that's backwards. You are describing Sx/So.

Hermit of the Forest

Greetings humans • Hunting
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

No, that's backwards. You are describing Sx/So.

Now I’m wondering if I might be Sx/So. :unsure: So what does So/Sx do?

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type
Iᑎᖴᑭ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Now I’m wondering if I might be Sx/So. :unsure: So what does So/Sx do?

Ah, Hermit, I think you're synflow (so/sx, moving toward others), rather than contra flow (sx/so, moving away).

The second instinct is like the playground area. It's where we're more comfortable. It's easier. So so/sx would use sx to support so. Their comfort in attracting, hooking others into them, chemical vulnerability could be used in meeting their so needs of connection and care. Sx/so would use their bonds out in the social world, to help meet their sx needs. Like someone going to a large gathering to find someone to engage their sx. Whereas so/sx might share vulnerabilities with one person, and then have it be easier to move on to someone else to share with, making more bonds in the so realm.

Hermit of the Forest

Greetings humans • Hunting
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Ah, Hermit, I think you're synflow (so/sx, moving toward others), rather than contra flow (sx/so, moving away).

The second instinct is like the playground area. It's where we're more comfortable. It's easier. So so/sx would use sx to support so. Their comfort in attracting, hooking others into them, chemical vulnerability could be used in meeting their so needs of connection and care. Sx/so would use their bonds out in the social world, to help meet their sx needs. Like someone going to a large gathering to find someone to engage their sx. Whereas so/sx might share vulnerabilities with one person, and then have it be easier to move on to someone else to share with, making more bonds in the so realm.

Ohhhhh. Okay. I’m definitely So/Sx then. :smile:

Jiya

MBTI Type
ENxP
Enneagram
7w6
After reading what you said about it being backwards, I wondered if I was sx/so. But your explanation cleared it up, thanks. Def. social first.