• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Multiple Enneagram Subtypes/Instincts Example Thread for how the Second Instinct Supports the First

Venus Rose

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
This is interesting, and I am not entirely sure...

In the past, for example in my adolescence, I don't remember focusing very much on Social. I was almost entirely consumed by SX focus. However, I could imagine that I am susceptible to feeling easily embarrassed, ashamed, and things like that...but, I don't focus on Social unless that is what I have to, in the present. If the current situation requires that, I will, but then I tend to let it go and not think about it again and then back to dwelling on SX.

sxso basically is an "exhibitionistic" stacking, and it need not be in a literal sense, but this general sense of denuding themselves in order to attract a specific other. Leaving your 'signature' so to speak on the social arena. Even if you don't have your eyes set on a specific other, sxso may still "scatter themselves/their essence" into the social sphere, however that may be, through art, writing, interacting with social groups, and any other opportunities for social involvement. Since both sx and so and oriented outwards, I suspect in times of extreme distress the initial instinct is to bare yourself, maybe even desperately so, more and more, hoping to find someone whom you can "hook into," who might return your interest and keep the sx charge alive.

As Katherine Fauvre has written in her blog, this stacking basically ventures out there only to find a mate and when they find one, they may retreat.

So, sx/so = using the social sphere (so) to disperse your specific signature or essence in order to attract a mate (sx).

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Sx/So - going to a group gathering (So) to find one or two people you deeply connect with and saying fuck the group after I have connections to keep tending (Sx) XD

Buttahfly

Enneagram
As a So/Sp I think my Sp supports my So by hmmm wanting to seem well polished and put together (Sp) so I can look good socially (So).

I know, this is old, but I suspect myself to be So/Sp and I relate to this so much!
I'm interestd in fitness, nutrition, beauty products, money, good clothes... but my main motivation (sadly) is to look good socially. I usually don't talk about it and outside I'm all like "Yeaaa, it's so important for my body!!! :)" and I mean, it's true. It does feel good to have a healthy lifestyle, no doubt. But it's still far from being my main concern lol. I might start some things out of a health concern, but if I don't get some kind of social recognition for it or if I don't have a group around it or whatever I will proooobably quickly drop it.
For example I'm trying to get into yoga for years now. I just can't keep doing it. I finally started going to a group and after session 3 the virus stuff started. So no more yoga.
Similar thing: I was trying to get into veganism for years. Now that I have an Instagram account about being vegan with 700 followers it's the easiest thing in the world. :doh::D

Sometimes I do tell my boyfriend kinda semi-jokingly my core motivations... he can't relate at all. But he also doesn't really know I'm serious. I think. I'm a bit a lot ashamed about it. But also it's not like I harm anyone with it. If it's socially good to drink alcohol I still won't drink alcohol - I will look for a group that also doesn't like alcohol. Or yea, otherwise I rather stay alone. Social shallow crap mtoivates me a lot, but it still doesn't rule over my values.

Mind Maverick

ENTP 8w7 845 Sp/Sx
What about so/sx, peeps? How does sx support soc needs? Does the so/sx use social strategies to get closer to/achieve intimate connections to get their sx fix?
No, that's backwards. You are describing Sx/So.

The only problem I have with this is like...isn't this sort of necessary for any Sx Dom? I mean, how else will an Sx Dom meet people for Sx needs?

Mind Maverick

ENTP 8w7 845 Sp/Sx
The second instinct is like the playground area. It's where we're more comfortable. It's easier. So so/sx would use sx to support so. Their comfort in attracting, hooking others into them, chemical vulnerability could be used in meeting their so needs of connection and care. Sx/so would use their bonds out in the social world, to help meet their sx needs. Like someone going to a large gathering to find someone to engage their sx. Whereas so/sx might share vulnerabilities with one person, and then have it be easier to move on to someone else to share with, making more bonds in the so realm.
The only problem I have with this is like...isn't this sort of necessary for any Sx Dom? I mean, how else will an Sx Dom meet people for Sx needs?

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type
Iᑎᖴᑭ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Therein is the rub for sx/sp. That was just an example, though... there are so-last extroverts and people have have an easier time meeting people. So doesn't dictate how much interaction there is with others, the same way sx is not merely about sex. But I do think that sp makes it harder for me, anyway, to make those sx connections. Because it feels riskier to try to make them in the first place.

Mind Maverick

ENTP 8w7 845 Sp/Sx
Therein is the rub for sx/sp. That was just an example, though... there are so-last extroverts and people have have an easier time meeting people. So doesn't dictate how much interaction there is with others, the same way sx is not merely about sex. But I do think that sp makes it harder for me, anyway, to make those sx connections. Because it feels riskier to try to make them in the first place.
I see. Hmm. If I went by this I'd type as Sx/So...

Ayuhime

For so/sx, intimate connections/energy (sx) in service of feeling socially included (so). So-first wants to feel involved with others/feel like their existence is worthy when they are providing something necessary and leaving some impact on others, and clicking it off with people they feel has the potential to do good and supporting them/playing a bit of counselor by testing out how willing they are to indulge personal information (sx-second getting a bit of underbelly showing) with an awareness of what is borders of the other person with soc-first awareness than going full sx.

Also works as keeping being involved in a group by one or two people you have personal bonds with, gaining social belonging by intense experiences shared with others/intimacy by the way of giving space for others to lay themselves bare, psychologically. It is both very one-in-one, while also having trouble keeping that intensity/bonds they cultivate constant with so-first scattered energy with no sp to ground it, unlike say, so/sp.

My understanding of it might be biased a bit towards how I experience it as a 5, though. But I feel like the underlaying awareness of what is "socially acceptable" and how far you can poke others in terms of sx is something existent on some level for most people with said stacking?

Edit: Emotionally/mentally stimulating others is definitely a way of feeling involved too- Be it concerts, or something involving audience participation, or simply two friends co-writing something together/discussing something of interest for both of them, so both feel involved and the intensity sparks?

Saturnal Snowqueen

Solastalgia 𓍊𓋼𓍊𓋼𓍊
MBTI Type
FELV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I'm more so/sp according to this, but yeah, I can see them both supporting each other so that's pretty interesting.

-Reaching out to support groups(SO) when in times of despair(SP).

-Looking for clubs/forums(SO) where I can talk about and learn more about my interests(SP)

But also:

-Keeping groomed and fancy(SP) to maintain the image I want(SO)

-I like to immerse myself in cultures(SO) in sensory/SPish ways(eating foreign foods, watching foreign shows, and I enjoy foreign fashions)

-Expanding my interests(SP) so I can find new ways to relate to people(SO)

-Going into my hermit modes(SP) when I feel socially inept or lonely(SO)

Earl Grey

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Yet another thing I didn't realize about myself until told by others is that I am 'social' but not the warm emotional kind of social, but the very practical type of social. The local guy who knows how to do this or that, but you may not see him as a friend- but, Enneagram-wise, this still is the soc variant.

I didn't really know how saying hi to your neighours or buying them coffee every now and then ties into feeding into sp first (especially if you're giving your own resources away) until I realized that I kind of solidify my presence in a place. When things go best, I get social backing when I do things. People's approval gain me opportunities or even social power, they put in a word, they vouch for me for what to me is a very small material cost (shows how sp isn't all material, but also 'intangible' forms of security). I do wonder if this happens very subconsciously where somewhere within my head the calculation happens that make friends = get resources for myself or if I just mentally subscribe to a general wider idea of ideological sp matters but the point is that there is a relationship between the soc variant and the sp variant here that are mutually reinforcing. It's not just 'soc wants to make friends but sp hates people', it can also work this way.