• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Ask a tradesman anything

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
I'm thinking of removing some rotten wood trim around the windows and doors. Should I invest in an oscillating Dremel Multi-Max tool or should I get a rotorazer (compact circular saw)?

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
I'm thinking of removing some rotten wood trim around the windows and doors. Should I invest in an oscillating Dremel Multi-Max tool or should I get a rotorazer (compact circular saw)?

Both are great tools. The Dremel is more versatile best used for precise work, though it is slow cutting and can numb your hands with the vibration. Circ-saws are quick and cut straight, but are best used when you can get the board completely off for bench cutting.

I’d say if you want to leave the trim on while you cut out the rot, go with the dremel. But if you can pull the trim with a hammer and pry bar and replace with new that you cut to size nearby before mounting, go with the circ. Since trim comes off relatively easy compared to other wood situations, most carpenters would go with the later approach, but if you had both tools you would likely find yourself using the dremel far more often- on drywall, crafting projects, and various other things that need to be cut.

If you do pull all the trim and find yourself needing to cut 45 degree angles for the corners, I recommend getting a miter box and a hack saw as shown:

stanley-miter-boxes-20-600d-64_1000.jpg

Both should be fairly cheap additions to the project.

mgbradsh

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5

I have the rotorazer and a Fein Multimaster (not the Dremel). The rotorazer is faster and easier to use, but it makes a big mess and you'll likely end up with some drywall repairs. The Dremel will be slower, but more accurate.

If I have to choose between the two, I'd probably pick the Rotorazer. It has a lot of uses, or at least I got more use out of mine than I did the Fein tool or a regular Dremel that I have.

Jaq

Remember, Humanity.
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
How long was trade school?

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
How long was trade school?

I think it's fairly short, but other than learning the various codes and regulations for the various trades it can be skipped completely (unless you want help passing the license tests instead of just studying the text book yourself). In the same way elective classes effectively fill out the bulk of any standard degree, hands-on apprenticeship experience hours fills out the bulk of the requirement for trade licenses. If you apprentice through unions (easiest way for outsiders to get an in), they do classes I think like twice a week or so, and hands on work the rest of the time. A private company will just work you, and let you do schooling however works best for you (and them).

For instance, the only schooling I did was those two days a week when I was with the local electrical union (initially thought electrical was the way I wanted to go, but pivoted after I got to know it better), and a couple seminar-like classes hosted by our local plumbing inspector just to help me with the journeyman and master exams in the months prior to it, after accruing the experience hours necessary.

Jaq

Remember, Humanity.
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think it's fairly short, but other than learning the various codes and regulations for the various trades it can be skipped completely (unless you want help passing the license tests instead of just studying the text book yourself). In the same way elective classes effectively fill out the bulk of any standard degree, hands-on apprenticeship experience hours fills out the bulk of the requirement for trade licenses. If you apprentice through unions (easiest way for outsiders to get an in), they do classes I think like twice a week or so, and hands on work the rest of the time. A private company will just work you, and let you do schooling however works best for you (and them).

For instance, the only schooling I did was those two days a week when I was with the local electrical union (initially thought electrical was the way I wanted to go, but pivoted after I got to know it better), and a couple seminar-like classes hosted by our local plumbing inspector just to help me with the journeyman and master exams in the months prior to it, after accruing the experience hours necessary.

What trade did you learn?

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
What trade did you learn?

I learned electrical, mechanical (heating systems), and plumbing. Carpentry I already knew (it's easy and it smells good, but it can be boring/repetitive). Electrical involves a lot of algebra, and plumbing is mostly like playing with legos on the rough construction side- but there are many ways to specialize within each trade, which is where you get to make the most money.