User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

Default Living in a Tiny House Stinks

This video struck me hilarious. I've been charmed by the dreamy tiny house craze, so here's the thread to talk tiny.

It's entirely possible and realistic to live your life in such a way that you don't accidentally rape people. ME
    The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. FEYNMAN
    If this is monkey pee, you're on your own.SCULLY
    You have to let the metaphysical guy chase you. ABIGAIL

Garbage human

Maybe if I were single. I just have too much stuff I actually like having and using, for instance a desktop PC, music/recording gear, etc. I would not mind owning a piece of land with multiple tiny houses, one for sleeping, cooking and fucking, and another as an actual workspace, but then that sort of defeats the purpose. I also can't see everyone in my family crowding around and trying to fight over a tiny ass bathroom as we all get ready for work or school every morning. It's hard enough in the small house we already live in. No thanks. Maybe when I am old and retired.
    'When you have no basis for an argument, abuse the plaintiff.'

-Cicero

A Bittersweet Symphony... Eryn Silverfrond's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP

I love the idea of being Gandalf in a hobbit hole more than I already do

But I dont know if the house and I could survive long term expose to each other.

Seriously I'm really tall.
    With all due respect,
    Eryn Silverfrond
    & Gentleman Jack

I am the Cat who walks by Himself; and all places are alike to me...
    Se>Fi>Si>Fe>Ne>Ni=Te>Ti
    ESFP 7w6 4w3 9w8 so/sx

Likes Galena, Luminous, Ravenetta liked this post

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/so

I get it - have lived in apartments of the size before, so a house wouldn't be much of an adjustment. The problem of having friends over was the downside I thought about the most.

ISFP
    4w5 1w2 7w6 sx/so
    Likes Ravenetta liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

I have thought living in a tiny house would be fun for when I am old and retired, but I think I would need it to be about twice as big as her house. And I couldn't be climbing a ladder and sleeping in a loft. She's right about how fast it can get dirty. And it's hard to live without much storage space. I can't believe she doesn't have a closet where she can hang up a dress. I have lived in a 400 sq ft cottage before and I liked it. It had 2 bedrooms, a kitchen and living room and a bathroom.
    Likes Zhaylin liked this post

🍓 girl in an 🍎 world SurrealisticSlumbers's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

I have watched this video before. I think that it's important to get all your ducks in a row, so to speak, before embarking on a tiny house journey. It really is a journey. You have to make the transition into living another lifestyle. You also have to be completely honest with yourself regarding your priorities. Are you okay with having an outhouse or biodegradable toilet, cooking atop a woodstove, washing clothes by hand, and doing without appliances like microwaves and televisions. Keeping food cold without a fridge would be challenging.. The biggest hurdle to doing this, in my opinion, is - ding ding ding - draconian zoning regulations and the land board in your jurisdiction.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenetta View Post
    This video struck me hilarious. I've been charmed by the dreamy tiny house craze, so here's the thread to talk tiny.
    I think the whole concept is ridiculous. Why would anyone want to live in a place less tha 1200 square feet? Completely impractical.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    I think the whole concept is ridiculous. Why would anyone want to live in a place less tha 1200 square feet? Completely impractical.
    As someone who has, a lot - it’s personality, perhaps. I’m unattached and have a lesser than typical drive to change that - and absolutely none to have kids. And yet, I have an almost insatiable bandwidth for activity and don’t spend much time in my place of residence. I’m someone who might just walk around the city for hours and miles if there’s nothing going on, just to relax. And when I am at home, I’m writing or checking in with my long-distance friends - stuff that takes up very little space. I do like home to be pretty, but don’t start missing space until we get down to sizes too small for a single desk chair. Or really wear anything that absolutely needs room to stretch. I have eased up on the square footage minimalism because I finally found my limit in the last few years and am also rather burned out for other reasons, but my latest place (as of today, actually) is still under 1000ft^2 for sure, and I'm thinking nothing of it.

ISFP
    4w5 1w2 7w6 sx/so
    Likes highlander, Hexcoder liked this post

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    I can't say for every house of this nature as some are built fairly cost-effectively, but I believe they are also rather expensive, more like a niche trend than a practical application.

These aren't comparable to the living conditions of some of the people in China, for example, which are out of a necessity rather than a fancy.

It always interests me that in some circumstances, minimalism is a philosophy to be practiced, and in others it is simply a way of life due to the various factors that concern one's circumstances.

There's something bizarre about that, even when I understand it.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.
    Likes Peter Deadpan, highlander liked this post

MBTI
    IXTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/so
    Socionics
    ILI Te

I could easily do this. I don't need much other than a bed, a computer, and a shower. I have lived in a smaller space about half that size, with no kitchen for a year. I just learned to maximize verticle space, and organization.

I am also not really a material person.
    Likes ducks, Hexcoder, Zhaylin liked this post