• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Living in a Tiny House Stinks

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This video struck me hilarious. I've been charmed by the dreamy tiny house craze, so here's the thread to talk tiny.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Maybe if I were single. I just have too much stuff I actually like having and using, for instance a desktop PC, music/recording gear, etc. I would not mind owning a piece of land with multiple tiny houses, one for sleeping, cooking and fucking, and another as an actual workspace, but then that sort of defeats the purpose. I also can't see everyone in my family crowding around and trying to fight over a tiny ass bathroom as we all get ready for work or school every morning. It's hard enough in the small house we already live in. No thanks. Maybe when I am old and retired.

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
I love the idea of being Gandalf in a hobbit hole more than I already do

But I dont know if the house and I could survive long term expose to each other.

Seriously I'm really tall.

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I get it - have lived in apartments of the size before, so a house wouldn't be much of an adjustment. The problem of having friends over was the downside I thought about the most.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I have thought living in a tiny house would be fun for when I am old and retired, but I think I would need it to be about twice as big as her house. And I couldn't be climbing a ladder and sleeping in a loft. She's right about how fast it can get dirty. And it's hard to live without much storage space. I can't believe she doesn't have a closet where she can hang up a dress. I have lived in a 400 sq ft cottage before and I liked it. It had 2 bedrooms, a kitchen and living room and a bathroom.

SurrealisticSlumbers

📠girl in an 🎠world
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have watched this video before. I think that it's important to get all your ducks in a row, so to speak, before embarking on a tiny house journey. It really is a journey. You have to make the transition into living another lifestyle. You also have to be completely honest with yourself regarding your priorities. Are you okay with having an outhouse or biodegradable toilet, cooking atop a woodstove, washing clothes by hand, and doing without appliances like microwaves and televisions. Keeping food cold without a fridge would be challenging.. The biggest hurdle to doing this, in my opinion, is - ding ding ding - draconian zoning regulations and the land board in your jurisdiction.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This video struck me hilarious. I've been charmed by the dreamy tiny house craze, so here's the thread to talk tiny.
I think the whole concept is ridiculous. Why would anyone want to live in a place less tha 1200 square feet? Completely impractical.

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think the whole concept is ridiculous. Why would anyone want to live in a place less tha 1200 square feet? Completely impractical.
As someone who has, a lot - it’s personality, perhaps. I’m unattached and have a lesser than typical drive to change that - and absolutely none to have kids. And yet, I have an almost insatiable bandwidth for activity and don’t spend much time in my place of residence. I’m someone who might just walk around the city for hours and miles if there’s nothing going on, just to relax. And when I am at home, I’m writing or checking in with my long-distance friends - stuff that takes up very little space. I do like home to be pretty, but don’t start missing space until we get down to sizes too small for a single desk chair. Or really wear anything that absolutely needs room to stretch. I have eased up on the square footage minimalism because I finally found my limit in the last few years and am also rather burned out for other reasons, but my latest place (as of today, actually) is still under 1000ft^2 for sure, and I'm thinking nothing of it.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance

I can't say for every house of this nature as some are built fairly cost-effectively, but I believe they are also rather expensive, more like a niche trend than a practical application.

These aren't comparable to the living conditions of some of the people in China, for example, which are out of a necessity rather than a fancy.

It always interests me that in some circumstances, minimalism is a philosophy to be practiced, and in others it is simply a way of life due to the various factors that concern one's circumstances.

There's something bizarre about that, even when I understand it.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I could easily do this. I don't need much other than a bed, a computer, and a shower. I have lived in a smaller space about half that size, with no kitchen for a year. I just learned to maximize verticle space, and organization.

I am also not really a material person.

ducks

Permabanned
I think I could do this. But I wouldn't have a dog, I also live alone, and I'd like to set up some kind of tent for a garage. I wouldn't have the bed in the attic like she did, but maybe have a futon or something like that downstairs for sleeping. Small minimal kitchen, with everything that folds in and out, similar to a Japanese residence, so that everything could easily be put away when not in use.

It's definitely better to have a house, but I could so do this and not have the same problems she does. It's also kind of neat because you could set up some kind of solar system and you'd only need a water and waste line at that point. And it takes a lot less energy to heat and cool a small space like that.

I wonder how hard it would be to have a roof that you could walk on too. It could open up the space a lot there. You could have a foldable railing or something like for travel and then set up a table for eating or something like that. Would be pretty neat.

Did she mention if you could hook up in an rv lot? if you were traveling or something.

I kind of like yurts though. They are fully customizable and you can do them how you want. I'd love to build one with a garage underneath and a spiral staircase up to the living area. But they aren't mobile like a tiny home.

rav3n

She's right, I'm judging her. 125 sq ft is insanely small, even by tiny house standards and worse yet, for an extrovert with a medium sized dog. Tiny houses can be as large as 400 sq ft. which is the size that a lot of people buy. Not only that but she obviously didn't do her homework, relative to the trailer size and weight concerns. There are workarounds for many of her issues (create a sign for using your composting toilet and pin it up behind the toilet when expecting guests) and seriously, complaining about changing the sheets?

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I love the idea of being Gandalf in a hobbit hole more than I already do

But I dont know if the house and I could survive long term expose to each other.

Seriously I'm really tall.
My biggest dream house is a hobbit hole that looks tiny on the outside but actually goes waaaaaay down into the ground to survive the holocost hobbit style.

I have too many music books books for a tiny house but I wish I could drive my house around so I could go anywhere without moving. 👍

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I could not live in a tiny house, especially with the idea of moving it frequently. Some of the nicer, larger ones are inching up to the $100k area. So why not buy a really nice RV or trailer and truck? Campgrounds and RV parks have all the hookups and sewage emptying needs because everyplace has different zoning laws and bullshit. I understand the space requirements - we have a 32 ft. boat we take on the big lakes. There are amazing products for small living spaces. But composting toilets, lack of laundry facilities or refrigeration, that's poor planning.

rav3n

I could not live in a tiny house, especially with the idea of moving it frequently. Some of the nicer, larger ones are inching up to the $100k area. So why not buy a really nice RV or trailer and truck? Campgrounds and RV parks have all the hookups and sewage emptying needs because everyplace has different zoning laws and bullshit. I understand the space requirements - we have a 32 ft. boat we take on the big lakes. There are amazing products for small living spaces. But composting toilets, lack of laundry facilities or refrigeration, that's poor planning.
Unfortunately, there's no such thing as a four season RV. Some are close but not quite, particularly relative to cold winters with snow and below freezing temps. Tiny houses can be insulated.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The heavy-handed criticisms of tiny houses and their occupants are especially hilarious. Keep'em coming.