• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Living in a Tiny House Stinks

Bush

cute lil war dog
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
There are some pain in the ass things that she talks about that might be helpful and that people don't think about. But there are some things that are... well, obvious. if you're living in a space where the whole damn point is that you're not going to own a bunch of stuff, you might not want to buy or rely on clothes that you're only "supposed" to wear once. God forbid that you have to wear a bridesmaid's dress to some other event.

She's also talking as if the house is married to the trailer. It's got to fit on the trailer. It can't be too heavy for a trailer so you have to be careful about what you buy. Why? How often do you plan on moving the thing around? Is the trailer also the foundation for your house? Are you suspending your house on the trailer over a pit? Is your trailer made out of aluminum?

Get a camper. Or a motorhome. Or an RV. Or a yacht. If you're going to live a pain-in-the-ass lifestyle, you may as well be properly mobile.

Polka

For anyone who wants fine dining at prime real estate, eating in a tiny house sort of like roof top restaurants, you'll truly love the experience of tiny house travels (except for when you have to go #2- that can be an issue). A nice mattress, pillows, comforters, CDs, books, snacks, and you're jamming to the most scenic places.

Zhaylin

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I've told everyone that my future home is going to be an insulated shed... er, Tiny Home.
I spend all of my time, as it is, in a room that's c. 7 x 13 feet. Of course, the restroom and laundry room are separate though.

I lived, for a couple of years, in a 27 foot long RV. It has a "slide out" that makes the living room a little bigger. My future tiny home will be in a fashion after it: a gray and black water tank with sewage hookups, a tiny restroom with a toilet and shower, a bedroom area, kitchen etc. The RV also had laundry. It worked suitably well. I no longer remember HOW it worked, but one machine both washed and dried (not a stackable unit).

I LOVE RV living. Our RV died, but Big Red is still around (it's a converted Peterbilt). I've never driven it, though, because it has a jake brake and such which is overwhelming. Ha!! I might have found OUR Big Red. http://www.timelinedesigns.com/kingsley/custom
Ours looks just like it, and hubby bought it from someone claiming it was once owned by LeAnn Rimes.
It's engine and backup camera are currently blown and it's hard to find a suitable mechanic here in the "sticks".

ANYHOW... lol, I actually watched OP's video before. I would absolutely love it (minus the composting toilet :rofl1:)

staticundertones

MBTI Type
INFJ
Since this whole trend of living off the grid and tiny houses started, I've been secretly willing everyone to move into tiny houses and free up all of the mansions for me.

I understand the appeal of having basically your own little hermit crab shell to crawl into.

Tengri

I do think it's whimsical, like an adult version of a livingroom fort or treehouse: tucked away with your own imagination and the smell of your feet. On a wider scale however, I do suspect this is in direct relation to a culture of buying the largest space the cost affords combined with the mentality of extreme product customization. While the sentiment of reducing waste and materialism is commendable, there are obvious issues of practicality that immediately come to mind. How do you entertain friends, relatives, romantic interests? How do you keep pets? Kitchens are never large enough, why opt for the hovel version? Storage: tools, recreational toys i.e. bicycles, boats, camping gear? Ventilation? As an escape from domestic life, sure, I would enjoy hitching up a tiny cabin and hauling it to the Adirondacks for a week, but as a permanent residence, I can't relate to urban trendsters that live out of dumpsters or cramped flats just to prove some point. Boomer bungalows addressed this economic problem at the start of the last population boom - the same can be done for the environmental bust.

???

MBTI Type
?
Enneagram
If it was possible to have a self-sustained tiny house, that would be pretty cool. Their small size makes them incredibly efficient. So add something like solar panels or an exercise bike to generate power and you get low power A/C. Could probably utilize lithium ion batteries for energy storage as well. Could even have a system for filtering and reusing grey water and you could utilize a compost toilet to grow a healthy vegetable garden or something like that.

Now add some sort of system that easily allows enclosing spaces outside for work areas or some type of garage and you'd have everything you'd need at a low cost. And it's essentially completely portable. But they don't have that, do they? Far as I'm aware, you usually need water/sewage and electric hookups and city codes I think don't usually allow tiny houses for residential land. In Florida, I think you need land classed for agricultural or the one where your neighbors livestock can free roam (can't remember the code).

yeghor

I would like to live in a tiny house away from the crowds. I want to be secluded and self-reliant and live minimally anyways. A nice solar-powered home near to a fresh water source and a small patch to grow some food, I could also collect and filter some of the rainwater for use.

I could also live in non-automated lighthouses, where the lighthouse keeper was provided lodging and farming patch.

The only thing that worries me possibility of locals harassing or pestering me or trespassing.

I really liked these two, the 2nd one more than the 1st.

Here's another old thread about it, an echo from the past:

Tumbleweed tinyhouse company

yeghor

And this lady has a very positive and funny demeanor, in that she can easily make fun of her blunders. What MBTI/enneagram type may she be? A 7 perhaps?

yeghor

Tiny House Couple Live Dream Hobbit-Core Life On A Mountain

The host Bryce is definitely a Fe-dom, probably an ENFJ. He always has a way complimenting the house owners and highlighting positive qualities.

yeghor

A tiny house in Queenstown, New Zealand - by Living Big in a Tiny House

The owner says the house cost around 180K New Zealand dollars, which is roughly around 112K USD. (Don't know when he had the house built though, prices may have gone up since then)

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The idealistic minimalist in me greatly appreciates the concept of a tiny house, but in practice, it just wouldn’t work for me...

- I’m tall, lanky, & clumsy— I don’t like feeling cramped. I already get enough mystery bruises banging into things without realizing it, as it is.

- my cat needs a little open space for proper zoomies.

- I really like to keep certain living spaces more separated. If my bedroom is just out in the open, it messes with sleep hygiene for me. I try to keep that room limited to just sleeping. I also prefer more than one locked door between my sleeping self & the outside world. Bathroom would be way too close to where I keep & prepare food. I also don’t (& won’t) go to a gym for exercise, so I need open space in my climate-controlled home for working out.

- I want a bathtub I can fit in.

- need space for laundry center. I hate hauling my stuff out anywhere.

- open wallspace is necessary for my books. No, I won’t convert to digital. I will burn your kindle in my fireplace.

- a little fireplace would be nice. Not in a tiny house, though.

- I really enjoy cooking/baking. Tiny houses never have enough countertop prep space, or cookware storage space. Or deep enough sinks.

- most tiny houses don’t seem to be fortified to withstand extreme weather conditions. Or bears. Or zombies.

I don’t need or want a large home, though. That’s way too much upkeep. 700-1000 sq ft place is fine.

yeghor

Not related to tiny houses but just wanted to put here this cooking video in the 1800s American style cosplay and technique.

Delicious Meat Cutlets From 1802 recipe - by Early American

yeghor

Most of the material they used in this tiny house is reclaimed, somethings given freely, and the owners say it cost them around 30K Aussie dolars to build.

Although the decoration and colors they choose is not to my style (I don't like vintage and copper/metals for decoration as much as they do), the guy, Mathias, reminded me a bit of myself, in looks and demeanor but he seems to be more skilled with crafts and power tools and has much more hair on his head :).

Amazing Ultra Low-Cost Dream Tiny Home

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Tiny homes are dumb unless you’re a hobbit. I don’t need big empty space but I do have hobbies and interests which require space. I don’t want to bang my elbows against the wall while I’m taking a piss.

yeghor

Tiny homes are dumb unless you’re a hobbit. I don’t need big empty space but I do have hobbies and interests which require space. I don’t want to bang my elbows against the wall while I’m taking a piss.
It's not for everyone that's for sure. You could also build a tiny workshop apart from the house though.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's not for everyone that's for sure. You could also build a tiny workshop apart from the house though.
Yes, I’ve considered something like that. Buy land and just build multiple smaller structures, some for living and some as work/fun spaces. It would help reduce carbon footprint