• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Designing the Ideal Home?

Lark

What features are an absolute must for the ideal home?

I am watching Parks and Rec and one of the characters has to move house, they had converted a spare room into a walk in wardrobe / home fitness suite, how, awesome, is, that?!!!!!

So I'm going to have to have one of those but I've not decided on how it will look just yet, what are some other must haves for the ideal home in your opinion?

Most of what I see/find online are ideal games rooms or variations on that particular idea.

LittleCat

Off to new adventures
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
That Parks and Rec conversion does sound pretty neat!

What I want in my house might not be entirely realistic (or realistic at all), but I’d want fountains - a spouting one in the the entryway, old style stone wall fountains, streams - walled off just enough so people and pets won’t fall in. I’d want little fish in the streams, lots of greenery, like the house is one, big greenhouse. The roof would be flat and covered with grass and potted plants and trees. Actually, maybe I’d make it a little like a hobbit house - a house inside a hill, so the plants and animals could still have some space. I’ve always wanted a lush garden maze with secret nooks and underground passageways (but then again I don’t want people getting lost and dying in one of the passageways so I might need to rethink that part). Somehow I’d want to fit a journey down the river Styx to get to my house into the equation, but I want easy access for the wildlife, so maybe not?

Inside the house I’d want a library, a small, but lavishly decorated theatre (not for movies! Or maybe for old or silent ones? Getting an actual theatrical performance to come regularly would be cool, but not sure how I’d pull that off), stained glass windows up front, places for kitties to climb and watch from the walls. How about a trampoline to get upstairs? :happy2: (There will be wall stairs for kitties and for the proper folk who don’t want to trampoline up :p)

rav3n

Something that's less than 2000 sq ft and nestled in a forest acreage. I'm sick of cleaning and people.

Sundae

MBTI Type
INFP
gothic, dark, distant, pond, weeping willows.

don't forget the weeping willows.

Snow as White

ƃuıǝǝs | seeing
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
a giant bathroom with a glorious giant shower area with stonework.
somewhere some kind of body of water like creature that i can lounge and be a mermaid within.

skylights in the bedrooms so u can stargaze if desired.

some kind of sunroom with a large soft blob of furniture that one could presumably take a glorious cat nap upon.

big kitchen for bf to play chef.

deck with a view and chairs for eating outside and gazing and snacking and laughing and silence.

badatlife

MBTI Type
IxFx
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
Jeffrey stars home

Goals

phhelmsxs02qbwe.gif

Lark

Plan No.473613 House Plans by WestHomePlanners.com

This one. It's much smaller than what we have now, but big enough that I still have space.
Plus, the Victorian architecture.

I really love schemata like that, the top down over view, its a little like the map screens in video games.

I had a great link a while back but I think I've lost it for these, huge, I mean seriously for the mega rich, "cabins", buildings of varnished wood which were better than any actual home I've ever lived in.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Green room and green house. Koi pond and garden.

Lark

Green room and green house. Koi pond and garden.

Are those like Zen garden features? I did training at a place in Dublin which had a Zen garden in its heart and a Starbucks next to it, it was a strange but awesome place to do training.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Are those like Zen garden features? I did training at a place in Dublin which had a Zen garden in its heart and a Starbucks next to it, it was a strange but awesome place to do training.

Yeah boiiiii

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Rooms and secret passages hidden behind bookcases and false walls (where you have to move a book, some item on a shelf, or a piece of molding to open the 'door').

And a library that either has a high ceiling and requires a ladder (the kind attached to the bookcase) or has double-high ceiling with balcony running around all four sides of the room.

Polka

I've always dreamt of a tiny house caravan. Pack up and travel. No permanent home address. Sheer freedom!!

Norrsken

self murderer
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't exactly know, but I do feel a strong attraction towards rural environments and a more natural type of home designs, like log cabins. I would love to live near nature, for sure.
My brother sometimes talks about wanting to own a tiny home, and I can see why a lot of people would be into that. I could see myself in something like that, too. Especially if it's mobile, then I can go anywhere and not feel tied down in one spot on a permanent basis. It's funny.. I thought I wanted that feeling of permanency in my younger years. But nowadays, the fluidity of how I could define my lifestyle is an exciting prospect.

I want my neighbors to be moss and trees tho, lol.

Grusdytre

MBTI Type
none
Enneagram
non
I don't exactly know, but I do feel a strong attraction towards rural environments and a more natural type of home designs, like log cabins. I would love to live near nature, for sure.
My brother sometimes talks about wanting to own a tiny home, and I can see why a lot of people would be into that. I could see myself in something like that, too. Especially if it's mobile, then I can go anywhere and not feel tied down in one spot on a permanent basis. It's funny.. I thought I wanted that feeling of permanency in my younger years. But nowadays, the fluidity of how I could define my lifestyle is an exciting prospect.

I want my neighbors to be moss and trees tho, lol.

hahaha same trip bro. :D

Ilanden

If the interior of your home is made elegantly, then this will be quite enough. In this case, you need the help of a designer.

Tomb1

Dunnellen Hall is pretty close to my ideal home. I'm big on brick and mortar exterior, dark mahogany tones on the interior and lots of closed-spaced rooms full of period ball and claw footed Chippendale pieces and the grand staircase. I don't like open space designs...the dining room must be grand, and not visible from any other room...I want every room walled off from one another except for the entrances in and out of those rooms so when I'm in that room there's just that room and all the furniture/paintings/items in that room are constantly increasing in value. More on the regal and lofty side. I hate when I see these mansions get filled up with just junk. Like a Mark Wahlberg or 50 cent mansion (or Mike Tyson's old mansion) where everything inside is machine-made junk expensive when they bought it because it was "in" but worthless in value three years later. also not into the contemporary-style mansions like "the one" or the ones that look like plexi-glass racquetball courts and have those weird infinity edge swimming pools...I'd rather live in a trailer.