• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Shelves

Metis

Pros:
Appearance: Nice texture, attractive & straightforward
Max versatility WRT content arrangement
Continuity: Can fit more stuff on them than on short shelves
Not too complicated to DIY
Probably less expensive than buying a freestanding shelving unit of similar quality

Cons:
Dark wood might not look good where I need these
Commitment to location of shelves is required
Commitment to building project required; wood could sit around for months before commencement

DIY-Dining-Room-Open-Shelving-by-The-Wood-Grain-Cottage-15.jpg

This is kind of pretty, especially if you swap that flower thing out for something else, but it can't hold very much.

Wooden-Pallet-Shelf.jpg

Metis

Not a fan of the cube ones. They remind me of the cubbies we used in kindergarten.

Metis

This might be an exception to the anti-cubbyhole-style bias.

Pros:
Plenty of spacial* capacity to hold stuff
Avoids looking excessively clunky (at least, in the space it's pictured in)**

Cons:
Wall-mounted
Complicated arrangement of parts might lead to a domino effect if part of it breaks
Glass: Sensitive to scratching. Though attractive, it will deteriorate in appearance faster than wood.
*Questionable weight capacity: How strong is it? How much can you pile onto each of those glass pieces?
**Metal-dominant. Might be too "industrial" of a look & look clunky in my place.

fc2211fa55a34287d3c6b4d12ef5d195.jpg