First 123 Last

Thread: Tofu

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Julius_Van_Der_Beak View Post
    Seitan is better.
    I have heard about that, but never had it. What makes it better?
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

blackbird, fly Julius_Van_Der_Beak's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    I have heard about that, but never had it. What makes it better?
    It has more flavor and actually tastes a little meaty.
    A path is made by walking on it.

-Zhuangzi

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

It has more flavor and actually tastes a little meaty.
    I think Beyond Meat is part seiten, or wheat gluten and it's very good.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

blackbird, fly Julius_Van_Der_Beak's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    I think Beyond Meat is part seiten, or wheat gluten and it's very good.
    Seitan is made from wheat gluten, I believe. Unless that's what you were getting at.
    A path is made by walking on it.

-Zhuangzi

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Seitan is made from wheat gluten, I believe. Unless that's what you were getting at.
    That's what I was getting it.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

People often consume tofu to avoid or take a break from both meat and wheat gluten.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Adapted from "Adventures in Starry Kitchen":

Crispy Tofu Balls

The Totole mushroom bouillon and the green glutinous rice flakes might be hard to track down. I haven't made this but the book says this is one of the most popular dishes at the Starry Kitchen restaurant.
    Let's see: a bunch of young people rioted and protested 3 weeks ago and now we're seeing spikes in coronavirus in young people. I wonder if it's just a coincidence.
    Likes Lark liked this post

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7
    Socionics
    Duno None

I don't like it ( it's a texture thing) cook it on occasion for others. I always remove it from the package, pat it dry to remove excess water and leave it covered in the fridge overnight.
    “ Rise up and raise the iron roof off
    Now, Rise up and riot 'til the bomb drops
    Now, Rise up the time is right to sound off, so
    Rise with me, rise with me, rise with me (RISE UP!)”

I prefer baking mine to avoid using oil and out of convenience. It's important to first drain the excess water out though so it doesn't come out soggy. Afterwards, I store it inside a food storage container with whatever ingredients I want to use for marination, place it inside the fridge for 20-30 minutes, and then bake at 400 F for around 40 minutes. After that, my favorite thing to do is to quickly coat the tofu in orange sauce on a fry pan set on low heat, and it always comes out very flavorful.

Seitan is better.
    Hail Seitan.
    Likes Lady Lazarus liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Thanks to everyone who shared experiences, tips, and recipes. I made tofu a few days ago, and used Qlip's process described below. The only oil I had on hand was olive and canola, so I used the olive oil and it still worked amazingly well. I cooked my entire package of tofu, cut into short, narrow strips, and it got brown and crispy without ever sticking.

Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    I'm not a tofu expert, or even an amateur. I used to just make a bit and toss it into a quick dinner. I use extra firm, I cut it into larger cubes 1" or so and fry it in a pan. I put a couple table spoons of oil in the pan and flip the cubes to get them nice and brown on all sides. The texture is really nice, though flavor is still very much tofu.

What I *am* though is an expert in seasoning non-non-stick pans. I've been using this method for a couple of years with my scrambled eggs and it works amazingly well. I get a nice heavy pan, put a bit of high temp oil like avocado, peanut, sunflower, etc in it to coat the bottom and heat it up till the oil wants to not quite smoke. Then turn off the heat and let it cool and wipe out the oil. Then proceed to use your slick pan for whatever you like, with the oil you like. Good luck with the tofu!
    Next time, I will try one of the baking options. The only downside of all this is that it turns out my husband is not a fan of tofu. I think he was a bit sorry that it worked so well, as it means there will be more tofu in our future.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...
    Likes Earl Grey, Qlip liked this post