• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Weird-ass fireflies(?) Seeking answers.

Lark

Well, yeah. I had thought no such thing exists.

I gather that fireflies like a fair amount of moisture.

Any updates Magic?

Are we talking a Mothman style supernatural event? Or visitors from the stars? Or earthbound spirits?

The mystery alternates between fantasy and sci fi in my head :)

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
Any updates Magic?

Are we talking a Mothman style supernatural event? Or visitors from the stars? Or earthbound spirits?

IKR?! I'd still rather sprites than drones. For so many reasons.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Any updates Magic?

I made some failed attempts to catch them, which is kind of sad because I've caught fireflies before. But they are they hover over is rough terrain on a steep incline, so it was a little harder. I did see one flash close enough to perceive that it was a weirdly colored but otherwise normal looking firefly.

Alas, I may have lost my window of opportunity. I haven't seen them in a bit, and now I keep seeing yellow-green, slow glowing fireflies. In other words, normal fireflies.

It's like the normal ones displace the weird ones. Or the weird ones metamorphosed into the normal ones.

Who knows.

Lark

I made some failed attempts to catch them, which is kind of sad because I've caught fireflies before. But they are they hover over is rough terrain on a steep incline, so it was a little harder. I did see one flash close enough to perceive that it was a weirdly colored but otherwise normal looking firefly.

Alas, I may have lost my window of opportunity. I haven't seen them in a bit, and now I keep seeing yellow-green, slow glowing fireflies. In other words, normal fireflies.

It's like the normal ones displace the weird ones. Or the weird ones metamorphosed into the normal ones.

Who knows.

Or the ghost/will-o-the-wisps lured some other unfortunate traveller to their doom!!! :shock:

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So a couple days ago, I saw a swarm of what I only presumed to be fireflies hovering over the empty plot next to my house. The thing is, they glowed an intense white color, the kind of white that almost looks blue. This is a color I've never seen in a firefly and I thought couldn't even exist. Secondly, they flashed almost instantly, like a camera, instead of the slow soft way that fireflies normally fade in and out. It was all strangely inorganic looking. I told me housemate to come see (just to be sure I wasn't crazy), and she indeed saw them as well and also found them bizarre.

Interestingly, in the past two years, I believe I have seen these same things, rarely, but only like one at a time. It seemed odd but the phenomenon was always small enough that I shrugged it off. I later asked a friend of mine, who's lived in this part of the state a lot longer than me, if she had ever seen such a thing, and she excitedly said that she had but only recently, and she had never seen it before and also wasn't sure what they were.

Sadly, I do not have a remotely decent camera device, so I could not record any footage for you all. I regret not trying to catch one. I spent a bit trying to find answers with Google but I've turned up no leads at all. So what is going on here? Anyone know of such a thing? This has really been bugging me (hah hah, pun).

I didn't read the rest of the thread, but I know the possible answer. So sorry if someone already said this.

There are multiple species of firefly, and their lights and patterns vary depending on geographical location. I have seen the ones you describe usually in treetops (The fast blue-white ones), rather than open fields. Fields usually contain the classic slow yellow ones. I have also seen dull red ones.