• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Selfies with Wild Animals

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Don't take selfies with dangerous animals. Animal rights groups have come out against animal selfies in general - because it's "cruel" (their favorite word). But recently someone was mauled by a bear while trying to take a selfie with the bear. Pretty stupid. Just don't.

Snow as White

ƃuıǝǝs | seeing
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The fact that this has to be said makes me want Tide Pods to make even more Tide Pods so that things like these announcements get systematically weeded out of the gene pool.

rav3n

My perception of this is that it's Darwinism at work, whether the consumption of tide pods or snapping selfies with dangerous animals.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The whole thing makes me incredibly angry, whenever I see a selfie of someone with a wild animal. As far as 'wild dangerous animals' go, I'd almost prefer they get injured; however it's more likely the animal would get killed due to it hurting a human so that's the issue with that.

But actually what can get me even more upset is the selfies people take of themselves next to an animal that *clearly needs help* -- example is some of the ocean wildlife who get stranded on shore and these f*cking morons line up for selfies while the poor animal is slowly dying. It makes me so angry and I really hate these people.

Snow as White

ƃuıǝǝs | seeing
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The whole thing makes me incredibly angry, whenever I see a selfie of someone with a wild animal. As far as 'wild dangerous animals' go, I'd almost prefer they get injured; however it's more likely the animal would get killed due to it hurting a human so that's the issue with that.

really good point.

But actually what can get me even more upset is the selfies people take of themselves next to an animal that *clearly needs help* -- example is some of the ocean wildlife who get stranded on shore and these f*cking morons line up for selfies while the poor animal is slowly dying. It makes me so angry and I really hate these people.

ugh. yes.

i saw some post awhile back wherein people passed along a baby dolphin. ONTHEBEACH. to take selfies and oh look! surprise! it died. and they were #surprised.

Lark

Well, photography sure beats trophy shoots.

So far as the safety idea goes, well, they're free to risk their safety if they want to, perhaps all their story was going to amount to was a precautionary tale for others anyway.

I see a lot of people doing unsafe things on youtube, social media, elsewhere, the climbing to or otherwise braving dizzying heights ones get me but then I dont like heights and some pretty run of the mill heights bother me.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Don't take selfies with dangerous animals. Animal rights groups have come out against animal selfies in general - because it's "cruel" (their favorite word). But recently someone was mauled by a bear while trying to take a selfie with the bear. Pretty stupid. Just don't.

I'm 100% for people taking selfies with wild animals. And back off with your nanny state policing of the stupids.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

The guy who was attacked by an injured bear in India managed, through his stupidity and death by mauling, to attract the attention of someone to rehabilitate the bear. So there is that silver lining.

rav3n

A pet peeve for catch and release fisherman. If you're going to release it, then don't torture it for so long in the air trying to get the perfect selfie with it. Return it to water post haste. If you plan to keep it, either put it on a stringer back into the water until you leave or put it out of its misery right away and then ice it.

There I said it.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm rather unhappy with fishermen as they tend to leave fishing line and hooks lying around. These things get caught up in wildlife. Ducks and geese get hooks in their feet or fishing line wrapped around their wings or in their webbed feet. Leaving fishing line should be considered littering at least. I just wish it would stop.

Tengri

My perception of this is that it's Darwinism at work, whether the consumption of tide pods or snapping selfies with dangerous animals.
I completely agree. Great point

There's something shockingly stupid about this trend that can only be explained away as natural selection at work. It's attention-seeking and reinforced by the popularity contests of online culture and most likely naive individuals raised in areas with no dangerous wildlife - but apologies aside, it still rankles my sensibilities so much. I have encountered some large bears and moose in my life and never once did I think, "Now let's see, how can I sidle up to this enormous animal and forever capture this moment of embarrassing vainglory." The very opposite: an animal nudges it's rump against your tent in the dead of night and you shit your pants a bit. Or you wake up the next morning and your camp has piles of scat everywhere, but not a sign of life, just a very real ghost of a threat. In contrast, when this is done with smaller mammals, reptiles, or birds, it's overbearing and equally presumptuous. Imagine pressing up against a complete stranger on a commuter train and insisting on invading their personal space for a picture. The most obvious reactions are irritation, confusion, distrust, mixed with a tinge of fear. Now imagine suddenly pressing up against a beloved pet who you share a (hopefully) reciprocal relationship with, and even they will will have whisker stress, increased heart rate, stiffened body language, an annoyed reaction...and at worst, a bop on the nose. My point is that respect begets respect. Respecting any person's space, territory, right to exist is a basic precept of democratic culture, so why are animals relegated to the status of fodder for entertainment?

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
A pet peeve for catch and release fisherman. If you're going to release it, then don't torture it for so long in the air trying to get the perfect selfie with it. Return it to water post haste. If you plan to keep it, either put it on a stringer back into the water until you leave or put it out of its misery right away and then ice it.

There I said it.

I am a catch and release fisherman and I can remove the hook and get them back in the water in about 10 seconds or less. The times when the fish swallows the hook and it takes longer, I never let it stay out of the water more than 45 seconds. I move the fish through the water and let it go through the gills. Then I work on removing the hook, I will cut the line and let the fish go before I kill it trying to remove a tough hook. What I really hate are the assholes at places like Toledo Bend in TX/LA. They gut the fish on the dock, leaving all of the mess to cook in the sun at the launch ramp and have over fished the lake to near extinction. You try and talk to them about the mess they leave, they say - fuck off you ignorant bitch. Verbatim. Southern hospitality at its finest.

Obfuscate

Permabanned
MBTI Type
iNtP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
26760.jpg

clearly only assholes, idiots, and the maliciously cruel would contemplate a photo with wildlife... for fuck's sake, who cares? obviously a person should use a little common sense and know a bit about the animal's behaviors, but i don't see anything wrong with taking a picture with wildlife...

I do feel bad for an animal if an incident leads to the animal having to be put down because a dumb ass human decided they wanted to strike a pose with a wolverine.

Like that guy who lived with bears. And was eaten by bears. That idiot got himself, a young woman and the bear (it had to be hunted and killed after the incident) killed because he thought he was Grizzly Adams.

rav3n

I am a catch and release fisherman and I can remove the hook and get them back in the water in about 10 seconds or less. The times when the fish swallows the hook and it takes longer, I never let it stay out of the water more than 45 seconds. I move the fish through the water and let it go through the gills. Then I work on removing the hook, I will cut the line and let the fish go before I kill it trying to remove a tough hook.
Yeah, you're not one of the idiots that my rant is about.

What I really hate are the assholes at places like Toledo Bend in TX/LA. They gut the fish on the dock, leaving all of the mess to cook in the sun at the launch ramp and have over fished the lake to near extinction. You try and talk to them about the mess they leave, they say - fuck off you ignorant bitch. Verbatim. Southern hospitality at its finest.
Sheer laziness and greed. Let me guess. They also exceed their limit.