• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Incarcerated Giraffes Attempting to Live Life as Normal and Start a Family

Metis

1. Do you think giraffes in zoos should be allowed to have intimate contact?

2. Do you think it's ethical to film giraffes engaging in intimate activities in captivity?

Merced

Talk to me.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
28?
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
You don't have to do this, I promise we'll consider it and let you know what we decide.

Dreamer

Potential is My Addiction
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram

1. Do you think giraffes in zoos should be allowed to have intimate contact?

2. Do you think it's ethical to film giraffes engaging in intimate activities in captivity?

I’m just going to ask you point blank, I don’t want any funny business going on now...have you and @Coriolis colluded against me? :huh: I kid you not, last night on Discord, we legitimately had a brief passing of words around giraffes in zoos and whether they are considered nature or not since they are in captivity.

Now, I need you to be honest with me Metis, this is serious business. Giraffes are at stake.

P.S. If you think I’m making this up to be funny, ask [MENTION=13112]Stigmata[/MENTION], he was there too as a witness!

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
Giraffes should be entitled to conjugal visits the same way as non-violent inmates are.

That said, I'm quite disturbed that giraffe didn't have enough common decency to walk her to the car afterwards.

P.S. If you think I’m making this up to be funny, ask [MENTION=13112]Stigmata[/MENTION], he was there too as a witness!

9unfFH5.gif

My lawyer has advised me to plead the fifth.

Merced

Talk to me.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
28?
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
One time I went to the zoo and the giraffes got pretty close to me but then immediately just started violently peeing. This is a very vivid memory, so I assume some damage was done by watching them power wash the ground, but this is enough justification to be against giraffes copulation.

Metis

I’m just going to ask you point blank, I don’t want any funny business going on now...have you and @Coriolis colluded against me? :huh: I kid you not, last night on Discord, we legitimately had a brief passing of words around giraffes in zoos and whether they are considered nature or not since they are in captivity.

Now, I need you to be honest with me Metis, this is serious business. Giraffes are at stake.

No, I didn't know that. Perhaps it's a synchronistic message from the spirit of Jung and the universe!

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Giraffes should be entitled to conjugal visits the same way as non-violent inmates are.

That said, I'm quite disturbed that giraffe didn't have enough common decency to walk her to the car afterwards.
You are assuming that giraffes are as sexist as humans.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
questing_beast.jpg

This is how people in Medieval Europe interpreted reports of giraffes (in all likelihood).

Metis

Giraffe - Wikipedia

In 2010, giraffes were assessed as Least Concern from a conservation perspective by the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN), but the 2016 assessment categorized giraffes as Vulnerable. Giraffes have been extirpated from much of their historic range including Eritrea, Guinea, Mauritania and Senegal. They may also have disappeared from Angola, Mali, and Nigeria, but have been introduced to Rwanda and Swaziland.

[...]

The UN backed Convention of Migratory Species selected giraffes for protection in 2017. In 1999, it was estimated that over 140,000 giraffes existed in the wild, estimations as of 2016 indicate that there are approximately 97,500 members of Giraffa in the wild, down from 155,000 in 1985, with around 1,144 in captivity.​

It sounds like giraffes are on the decline, but if only about 1% are in captivity, then that's not what's saving them.

What are your thoughts on keeping animals in zoos? Do you enjoy zoos? Feel sad if you see animals in zoos? Work in a zoo and have a unique perspective?

Should giraffes and other animals be bred in captivity solely, or primarily, for the purpose of being put on display?

Metis

Oh, someone moved this to the subforum for general giraffe discussion. Good, let's keep it open-ended, then. I don't need to try to fit it into a political context.