• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Subterranean adventures

Lark

The Mysterious Erdstalls Tunnels | Amusing Planet

I want to visit all the tunnels and underground complexes in the world, I think its weird and wonder why they all came about, there are huge cavernous ones in China that they cant explain too, this is the latest I've found but I think that there are other ones in Norway or some place, called troll tunnels or goblin tunnels or something but I havent been able to find the sites I visited a while back again.

I'd like to visit the VC tunnels in Vietnam too, I've got a book on them and it totally intrigues me, I loved the roads protesters in the UK when that was popular because they seemed to be into their creation of all sorts of tunnel complexes and strangeness.

Metis

I'd like to go to some natural caves. You're talking about man-made tunnels, though?

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
When I was a kid I found this old drain tunnel that was square, cement, about 4 feet wide and 4 feet tall, that my friends and I geared up for and crawled through. We brought lighters, materials for torches, and snacks. The tunnel was about as long as a football field, took several twists and turns, and around the halfway point we found daylight in the form of a small hole directly above us that actually looked up and out of a sidewalk. At one point we had to squeeze past a bunch of 2x4s that someone installed in support it I'm guessing. Whole adventure felt very much like the goonies at the time.

Tengri

These are pretty intriguing. I remember reading that they might have served as hideaways during famine, disease, war, etc. Somewhat reminiscent of the underground societies of Derinkuyu

I want to visit all the tunnels and underground complexes in the world, I think its weird and wonder why they all came about, there are huge cavernous ones in China that they cant explain too, this is the latest I've found but I think that there are other ones in Norway or some place, called troll tunnels or goblin tunnels or something but I havent been able to find the sites I visited a while back again.

I'd like to visit the VC tunnels in Vietnam too, I've got a book on them and it totally intrigues me, I loved the roads protesters in the UK when that was popular because they seemed to be into their creation of all sorts of tunnel complexes and strangeness.
I can relate. There's a thrilling mystique about cave exploration or tomb raiding that's difficult to explain. I tried spelunking in a wet cave years ago and the experience was very memorable - not only for the sight of buried formations, but the challenge of making it from one end to another in claustrophobic spaces. The mountains north of me have hundreds of karst caverns, so the draw is constant. Somewhat related, bomb shelters and missile silos of the American southwest and the Underground City in Beijing are equally fascinating

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
When I was a kid I found this old drain tunnel that was square, cement, about 4 feet wide and 4 feet tall, that my friends and I geared up for and crawled through. We brought lighters, materials for torches, and snacks. The tunnel was about as long as a football field, took several twists and turns, and around the halfway point we found daylight in the form of a small hole directly above us that actually looked up and out of a sidewalk. At one point we had to squeeze past a bunch of 2x4s that someone installed in support it I'm guessing. Whole adventure felt very much like the goonies at the time.

did you map the tunnel system?

Lark

I'm thinking of getting a book from Amazon this evening on cave networks around the world, did anyone follow the developments around the rescue of the children by cave divers recently? One of the rescue party was from Ireland, cave diving is a minority sport and I know that there are people who do it in Ireland and the UK, there are diggers here too, which is another dangerous pass time as you may discover a new network of caverns or you could blast away silt and destabilise the cavern or passage roof or walls. Fascinating it all is. I used to do caving but I dont think I would now, my fear of heights has gotten worse too.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I was here.