• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

how do you like your steak?

how do you like your steak?

• Total voters

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't know how the quality of the animals themselves compares between the U.S. (Wait, you're here, right?) and Australia, but you can get the best lamb chops from Afghani restaurants or halal grocery stores with butchers if they're grilled in the store.

I'm thinking of getting some tomorrow, in memory of my grandmother, who used to cook rack of lamb for Easter.

I can't comment on the difference in actual quality between the two countries, but merely the accessibility (both in terms of relative availability and price) to good lamb there versus here. Here, I'd really have to search to find good quality lamb chops versus there it being as common as Steak in terms of accessibility.

Metis

I can't comment on the difference in actual quality between the two countries, but merely the accessibility (both in terms of relative availability and price) to good lamb there versus here. Here, I'd really have to search to find good quality lamb chops versus there it being as common as Steak in terms of accessibility.

You make Australia sound like a nice place to visit.

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
You make Australia sound like a nice place to visit.

Besides the fact that in summer it literally feels like you're approaching the fiery gates of hell as you see Satan lounging in a lawn chair while wearing sunglasses and drinking lemonade, and that 90% of the wild life can and will kill you in the face, other than that it's pretty cool.

Metis

Besides the fact that in summer it literally feels like you're approaching the fiery gates of hell as you see Satan lounging in a lawn chair while wearing sunglasses and drinking lemonade, and that 90% of the wild life can and will kill you in the face, other than that it's pretty cool.

Don't have a cow, man.

xxBARTxx.gif

Have I ever told you that you remind me of the little brother of one of my childhood friends?
He liked to scamper around, shouting, "Can't touch this!" and "Don't have a cow, man!"

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
Don't have a cow, man.

xxBARTxx.gif

Have I ever told you that you remind me of the little brother of one of my childhood friends?
He liked to scamper around, shouting, "Can't touch this!" and "Don't have a cow, man!"

I'm not sure how I feel about this.

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I would pick medium well just because I am into smokiness and not so much the raw texture, but for the same reasons truthfully steak isn't for me. Brisket is more my type.

Metis

I'm not sure how I feel about this.

I only remembered him saying "Don't have a cow" because of the steak theme of the thread. I forget why you originally reminded me of him. That wasn't why.

He came with me when I ran away to the forest for the day. We poked around in the creek for tadpoles, walked in a loop (it was lucky that it turned out to be a loop trail, because we ended up back behind their house) and met a man with a parrot. It was fun. Then we went back up the hill to their house, smiling and laughing, and my father gave out the spankings. Turned out that he and the mother of my friends had been extremely worried.

I like lamb chops better than rack of lamb.

I also like pot roast.

Suaimhneas

I prefer a solid medium rare. I personally can't deal with a bleeding steak and I don't understand the concept of a well done steak.... a dry slab of meat devoid of all flavor! It's a disgrace to the cow that supplied it! To each their own, I suppose :shrug:

Obfuscate

Permabanned
MBTI Type
iNtP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

buying a whole lamb isn't a bad way to go... i've picked one up from the 4h program and sent it to a butcher... those kids tend to raise them like pets (aka treat them well)... anyhow, after they are judged (ribbons handed out) they are often auctioned... you can get an idea of how good the meat is likely to be by attending the judging... the same principle applies to beef...

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
buying a whole lamb isn't a bad way to go... i've picked one up from the 4h program and sent it to a butcher... those kids tend to raise them like pets (aka treat them well)... anyhow, after they are judged (ribbons handed out) they are often auctioned... you can get an idea of how good the meat is likely to be by attending the judging... the same principle applies to beef...

We also get a lamb in the spring although not from 4H (but this is a great tip so thanks), it's from a farm nearby. I get a beef half twice a year from the same farm. Lamb isn't as popular as it once was and I think people assume it's due to lamb being way more expensive than beef. Not true, not even at the retail level, I've compared. We have lamb probably once a week, it's delicious.

Lark

I actually like lamb madras, chunks of lamb, or some sort of hot chicken curry with chunks of chicken, at the moment more than steak. Steak is something that I only enjoy very occasionally. We went to a restaurant the other day which had these super heated rock cubes which came out with the seared meat and you slice the meat and put it on the rock to finish it, that looked like a clever gimick, my dad ate it, I would have totally charred my steak to a crisp. The only way to eat meat, drive out all the juice crap and blood.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Medium well filet mignon. I have a thing where if I eat meat that's not cooked well enough, I get sick. It's been happening since - i dunno - forever. So I stay away from prime rib for example or steak tartare.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Is it true that grass-fed, range beef tastes "gamier" than other beef? I have no idea what "gamey" means, except I hear it in connection with deer a lot. Can the difference in taste between lamb meat and beef be attributed to gaminess?

Is it true that grass-fed, range beef tastes "gamier" than other beef? I have no idea what "gamey" means, except I hear it in connection with deer a lot. Can the difference in taste between lamb meat and beef be attributed to gaminess?
Gamey is wild. It’s just a different taste than of animals kept and raised for consumption. There’s a hard to define wildness about the taste probably due to the diet of the animal being consumed. I love Venison personally. I doubt gaminess distinguishes lamb from beef though. Lamb to me always tastes weak. The flavor is rather bland.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Gamey is wild. It’s just a different taste than of animals kept and raised for consumption. There’s a hard to define wildness about the taste probably due to the diet of the animal being consumed. I love Venison personally. I doubt gaminess distinguishes lamb from beef though. Lamb to me always tastes weak. The flavor is rather bland.

I love lamb. Venison didn't strike me as being that different from good beef, the few times I've had it.

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Cows are infinitely superior to human beings; from their social hierarchy...demonstrated intelligence, and level of self-sacrificing ability as to giving self-lessly toward the auspices of other creatures. It's no wonder indigenous, European and Hindi traditions, my apologies to those who are aware enough to be offended by both descriptives...included the "Cosmic Cow" in their creation myths.