• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

how do you like your steak?

how do you like your steak?

• Total voters

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
Everything is better with tabasco.

MWAV5YJ.gif

Although, I am a bit biased against food sauces on any of my food.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I have heard of this A1 sauce, what is it? A tomato sauce or mushroom ketchup?

HP Sauce is very good but I dont believe it is popular in America.

I like HP sauce. In fact, when my boys were little they liked it on grilled chicken better than anything else. It's not hard to find for me but I don't think it's very popular - it's in the specialty foods area too.

Lark

Yeah, offal in general is hard to come by. In the south you come by it more often or around some immigrant heavy urban areas. Not really a thing in generic suburban America. I'm rather lucky when it comes to blood sausage as I can get bludwurst from a specialty german sausage maker in my city. But, even then I can't get a proper rasher of bacon to make a full breakfast. :( (edit: actually if I really wanted to I probably could just get some pork belly and have the butcher slice it properly)

Haggis I haven't tried, but I'm not really that keen to try it.

Its really good though, if you like bludwurst you'd like it, or black pudding, although there are different sorts I suppose, "smooth" varieties I dont like as much as those with oaty bits in.

- - - Updated - - -

A1 is like a thinner more watered down version of HP sauce.

My God! Awful! :cry:

Lark

MWAV5YJ.gif

Although, I am a bit biased against food sauces on any of my food.

I love them, or rather loved, I used to even try and make new ones combining other sorts but now I can not eat them because they have lethal amounts of sugar or additives which make the diabetes hard to manage, tabasco is an exception to the rule in that respect, lots of heat without sugar.

Lark

I like HP sauce. In fact, when my boys were little they liked it on grilled chicken better than anything else. It's not hard to find for me but I don't think it's very popular - it's in the specialty foods area too.

I love it, it was popular at one time to add it to grilled cheese on toast, though it was usually added to morning/breakfast fry ups (in NI) or pies (parts of England) they had an add campaign with Frank Bruno in which he'd be seen pouring it over his fish and chips or fish fingers and chips, I'm not sure which it was now so long after the fact, to get people to consider using it on other foods. I would eat it with anything.

If I remember right they diversified, very briefly, into different varieties which included chilli sauce, curry (a sweet curry like the sort with raisins in) and ketchup or bbq, they stopped doing it and it was a real shame, I loved those sauces. It was one of only a few big disappointments in terms of discontinuations of products that I recall. There was another spearmint shower gel that is not made anymore and another mint and tea tree shaving gel.

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
I love them, or rather loved, I used to even try and make new ones combining other sorts but now I can not eat them because they have lethal amounts of sugar or additives which make the diabetes hard to manage, tabasco is an exception to the rule in that respect, lots of heat without sugar.

I don't understand the purpose of sauce if it's not meant to be the primary flavor of the food. Like, you have people that no matter what they eat, dump ketchup, mustard, steak sauce, ect -- I want my burger to taste like a burger and my steak to taste like a steak, not the same dull flavor over and over.

Mozzie610

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
2w1
I used to eat it only well done, but I got tired of people making fun of me, so I decided to try it medium. When I tried it, the clouds parted, the angels sang and horns blew...

...not really, but yeah I realized it was much better. Now, its all I ever get.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I don't understand the purpose of sauce if it's not meant to be the primary flavor of the food. Like, you have people that no matter what they eat, dump ketchup, mustard, steak sauce, ect -- I want my burger to taste like a burger and my steak to taste like a steak, not the same dull flavor over and over.

I agree with you but maybe it's easier to just dump a ready made sauce than to try seasonings and spices that offer far less in the way of sugar and more flavor enhancement. Then again I haven't had a steak in a couple months either - just a bit of carne asada here and there as a garnish.

Lark

I think it would be cool if when steaks came out to the table you had a blow torch on the table to finish off the steak to your liking.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm not entirely sure of the difference between medium rare and medium, but I put medium.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hmm, I don't think I have a preference for medium over medium-rare, or vice-versa.

Yeah, they can be pretty similar, depending on the cut & other factors. Med rare is a bit more flavorful, ime. Can be a bit bloodier when you cut into it, compared to medium.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I feel like this belongs in the thread, but [MENTION=7254]Wind Up Rex[/MENTION] & [MENTION=21890]Codex[/MENTION] will probably be the only ones to fully appreciate the reference.

Lark

Well, I dont think that the sauce should be over powering, there's a difference between eating food flavoured by something and food that only tastes of the flavouring.

There's some things that particular flavourings go well with, I think mustard goes well with cold meats for instance and I'd never eat it on a hot dog or burger, I also dont think I would eat American mustard at all, its not like mustard at all as its sweety and strange. I prefer english mustard. I'm told that there's a similar national divergence in mayonnaise too, US, Canadian, French and English Mayo is all very different.

Although I eat mustard with things that other people dont, like with tuna, I really like it in white bread sandwiches or preferably a white bap with cheese, mustard and tuna.

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well, I dont think that the sauce should be over powering, there's a difference between eating food flavoured by something and food that only tastes of the flavouring.

I'll agree with this statement. I don't mind sauces if that's the primary flavor of the dish (marinates or pasta sauces), my gripe is watching someone order a steak and submerge it in A1, or those people who have to drown every bit of food they eat in ketchup.