• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

how do you like your steak?

how do you like your steak?

• Total voters

Lord Lavender

Bluered Trickster
MBTI Type
EVLF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I like mine medium as it's hot enough to be refreshing and bot cooked so much that it's a dry hunk of leather.

Lark

yup-these-are-medium-rare-what-if-somebody-wantstheirs-well-18724203.png

Its crazy how often everything that Mill or any other politico said about if everyone but one held to an opinion it wouldnt make it right comes to mind.

Its also crazy that the whole rare steaks has caught on so, so, so much, when I was eighteen I got T-Bone steaks with my brothers and my dad to mark the occasion, we got our steaks well done, it was popular then, you had characters in dramas which were screened daily at the time featured going to restaurants and asking for their steaks to be "incinerated" but now all that is totally forgotten about.

I actually think part of it is, ironically, the influence of French chefs and their style of cooking, you know they were called "frogs" because all the penchant for eating frogs legs and snails stems from the French eating ANYTHING when the Prussians laid siege to the place after the revolution (seriously, look it up, they emptied the Zoo and ate all the animals) and the enemy troops sought to shame them about it, so they decided to refuse to be shamed and made it, for them, a sign of culinary excellence. For the same reason they would describe the english speaking world as "roast beefs", the english had a campaign about how patriotic it was to eat roast beef, despite it not being a big part of an affordable diet for a lot of people, especially in rural parts.

So, I sort of think if they called them that and they had that reputation then the traditional way of preparing the food is probably the best, the traditional way was cooked AF as they were afraid of spoilage and cooking was also a sort of preserving too, whatever wasnt eaten was going to be salted and turned into virtual jerk meat.

Lark

Sure anyone can go to Outback or Logan's or any casual steakhouse chain and get a steak (Ruth's Chris not included in the chain shame). They have nothing in common with say Killen’s Steakhouse in Pearland TX or Taste of Texas in Houston or the Chicago Chop House - all of which I can say are excellent from personal experience.

Gravy on a steak?? I don't even know what to say. Hell no maybe. You can order it like this - I want a medium/medium well steak. Any good cook can easily make a steak exactly the way it's ordered. The better places are making steaks at 1500-1800 degrees - well done is not a time issue.

I can also tell you that most meat is overcooked, no matter what it is. Fish as well. This is the taste many people grew up with and aren't willing to expand on. Exception: I do like my hamburgers on the more med. well side. Reason being I hate a soggy bun and food born illness are much more likely in ground meat than whole pieces.

BTW, "burnt ends" are a thing onto themselves, they are beef brisket ends, not steaks. The specialty of Kansas City BBQ - we do them on our smoker.

I put it in inverted commas as I wasnt meaning it as a reference to the thing itself but something resembling it.

There's a bunch of different gravies to eat with steak, pepper sauces and steak sauces too, my brother, who has visited the US too has told me that there's about five aisles of condiments for one of actual steaks, I cant remember were he was working at the time, it was some time ago, but he said that the cheaper cuts in stores were pretty lousy.

I like to eat sushi but I think its distinctly different to cooked fish which I like aswell, I dont think one if right and the other wrong, I really dont like the idea of under cooked or uncooked meats, that stuff is wrong, the raw and blue steak ideas, steak tartar, all that I think is absolutely wrong and the whole business of asking how well you want ground beef cooked in burgers is very wrong too, I totally tell them to burn that stuff up because more than once I've got a burger which I could not eat at the centre because it was uncooked or undercooked.

Thanks for those recommendations in terms of steak houses, I might try them out if I'm in the states any time this year, any other recommendations PM me as I am always filing them away for reference. I want to travel to Phily and eat a cheese steak sandwich at some stage, get pizza or pretzels in chicago but I dont know if any states are the steak states.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I dont know if any states are the steak states.

Texas without question although I have had excellent steaks in Colorado and Montana as well. But Texas does beef, period. Beef steaks, beef ribs, brisket, sausage... I mean you can get other stuff - I had amazing smoked chicken at the Hard 8 in Coppelle Tx but beef is their thing and they do it so well.

Lark

Texas without question although I have had excellent steaks in Colorado and Montana as well. But Texas does beef, period. Beef steaks, beef ribs, brisket, sausage... I mean you can get other stuff - I had amazing smoked chicken at the Hard 8 in Coppelle Tx but beef is their thing and they do it so well.

Sausage? I didnt think you guys had that in the US, like I thought it was more like pepperami sausage, ie deli cold meats, or bratwursts, like I saw the travel network do an episode in which the guy from man versus food ate battered sausages and chips (thick cut "fries") and they had battered some bratwursts because the guy had said the only way to make regular sausages would be to produce them themselves and they were a restaurant not butchers.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Sausage? I didnt think you guys had that in the US, like I thought it was more like pepperami sausage, ie deli cold meats, or bratwursts, like I saw the travel network do an episode in which the guy from man versus food ate battered sausages and chips (thick cut "fries") and they had battered some bratwursts because the guy had said the only way to make regular sausages would be to produce them themselves and they were a restaurant not butchers.

It's a big diverse country. There is all kinds of sausages.

Lark

Yup. The only sausage that's hard to get in the states is blood sausage.

:mellow:

I'm sorry, hopefully it will not be a permanent shortage as black pudding, ie blood sausage, is fantastic, do you have ample supply of haggis? Dont tell me there is a general offal shortage?! :O

Lark

It's a big diverse country. There is all kinds of sausages.

I bet you all dont have great battered sausages like us here or battered haggis like in edinburgh or galway (though their battered cod is better than either).

If you visit Ceecee I'd buy you some, my brother can always recommend good places to eat.

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
There's a bunch of different gravies to eat with steak, pepper sauces and steak sauces too, my brother, who has visited the US too has told me that there's about five aisles of condiments for one of actual steaks, I cant remember were he was working at the time, it was some time ago, but he said that the cheaper cuts in stores were pretty lousy.

Other than seasoning, if you have to add anything to enhance the flavor of a Steak, you're either eating a shitty cut of steak or it wasn't cooked or seasoned properly.

I die a little inside when someone dumps A1 or Tabasco all over a well-prepared ribeye, filet mignon, or New York strip.

Sure anyone can go to Outback or Logan's or any casual steakhouse chain and get a steak (Ruth's Chris not included in the chain shame). They have nothing in common with say Killen’s Steakhouse in Pearland TX or Taste of Texas in Houston

Taste Of Texas is pretty good, albeit slightly expensive. But hey, of it's good, I don't mind paying. I've heard of Killen's but have never personally tried it -- might need to try it out.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9

Yes there are all kinds of steak sauces but I wouldn't take it literally as in use on steak only. I like A1 sauce, I put it in meatloaf.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Marinated, and medium rare.
As to frequency of consumption, though, very rare.

I only enjoy steak when it’s prepared this way. Not really worth it, otherwise. I never ate it often to begin with, but after my E. coli O157:h7 infection last year, I am significantly more apprehensive about eating undercooked beef. For awhile, I’d outright gag just thinking about it. Still haven’t actually eaten any, since. I do miss it.

E.coli O157:h7 experience is in my blog (rundown behind spoiler tag in this post). I’ve never felt more paralyzing physical pain in my life.

Sorry if this puts a damper on the fun steak thread... just want to make sure people fully realize the risk they’re taking. If you plan on consuming undercooked beef (even moreso if you plan to give it to a small child or immunocompromised person, as this strain of e. coli has an even higher mortality rate among that group), check the CDC site for any recalls in your region, if possible. There hadn’t been any recent recalls where I live when I contracted it, but there had been, about 6 months prior.

rav3n

Blue which is beyond rare. But I can handle down to medium rare. Anything below that is a waste of chewing action.

Lark

Other than seasoning, if you have to add anything to enhance the flavor of a Steak, you're either eating a shitty cut of steak or it wasn't cooked or seasoned properly.

I die a little inside when someone dumps A1 or Tabasco all over a well-prepared ribeye, filet mignon, or New York strip.

Taste Of Texas is pretty good, albeit slightly expensive. But hey, of it's good, I don't mind paying. I've heard of Killen's but have never personally tried it -- might need to try it out.

Everything is better with tabasco.

Beorn

Permabanned
:mellow:

I'm sorry, hopefully it will not be a permanent shortage as black pudding, ie blood sausage, is fantastic, do you have ample supply of haggis? Dont tell me there is a general offal shortage?! :O

Yeah, offal in general is hard to come by. In the south you come by it more often or around some immigrant heavy urban areas. Not really a thing in generic suburban America. I'm rather lucky when it comes to blood sausage as I can get bludwurst from a specialty german sausage maker in my city. But, even then I can't get a proper rasher of bacon to make a full breakfast. :( (edit: actually if I really wanted to I probably could just get some pork belly and have the butcher slice it properly)

Haggis I haven't tried, but I'm not really that keen to try it.

Lark

Yes there are all kinds of steak sauces but I wouldn't take it literally as in use on steak only. I like A1 sauce, I put it in meatloaf.

I have heard of this A1 sauce, what is it? A tomato sauce or mushroom ketchup?

HP Sauce is very good but I dont believe it is popular in America.