User Tag List

First 12

Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Of The Forest View Post
    I was outside for about ten minutes yesterday and very nearly got frostbite in my fingers, and I was wearing gloves. Any tips Mr. Polar Bear?
    Mittens.

It could be that your gloves weren't thick enough, or that they didn't block the wind very well if there was much wind. Or if they were tight or your hands were holding something or raised (such as while driving), that reduces warming blood flow. Metal is the worst thing to hold. To increase circulation, do fast windmills with your whole arm--use the Force, the centrifugal force that is. Maybe even do some push ups or isometric arm and hand muscle contractions. Avoid stimulants like nicotine and caffeine--they restrict the small blood vessels.

Gloves are almost counterproductive for keeping warm below a certain temperature. They isolate each finger, making each one its own little heat radiator. Mittens keep the fingers together and let them share the warmth. In larger mittens, you can even ball your hand up to help even more. I always take mittens of some type on overnight trips if the temps will be below around 10F (-12C) for around camp and as a backup pair.

More good news: you primates have built-in hand warmers called armpits! Being close to core body temperature, they're great. The chemical warmer packets are even warmer. If all else fails, they can be put into a glove or mitten, preferably over a liner though. Don't use them on frostbitten areas. The skin could be burned, and it has to be warmed gradually with body heat or slightly warm water.

Another possible cause is that you were a little cold, and your body was reducing peripheral circulation to keep its core warm. It knows to preserve the heart, brain, and lungs even at the expense of the limbs. There's a saying simplifying this: "If your feet are cold, put on a hat."

Another less likely cause is Raynauds syndrome.

Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    True. Layers, wicking fabrics to keep you dry (and warm), investing in stuff that's going to keep out the wind. I have a fishermans sweater that's wool but it's a fantastic layer further away from the body so it doesn't get wet. Boots and gloves - lightweight, lots of Thinsulate and soles that function well in the snow/ice. I also use hand and foot warmers when I'll be out for any length of time. And cover your head and face.
    Good points, especially about wool. I try to wear wool on overnight trips when the temperatures will be very low. Wool is heavy and annoying when wet, but it is still quite warm. On a trip last winter, I was hiking out by myself because everyone else in my group was in a hurry, and I wanted to enjoy the walk and falling snow. While crossing a stream, my foot slipped through a pile of wood I was walking on, and my wool pants were wet to slightly above the knee on one leg. I rubbed the cold, dry snow on my pants using it as a sponge, and continued on. A few minutes later, I couldn't tell that I had fallen in at all. Wool is also much more resistant to melting or burning than any synthetic fabric. On one fall trip, my polyester fleece shirt caught on fire briefly from a small ember blown out of the fire by the wind. Someone else noticed it before I did and extinguished it.
    Likes Hermit Of The Forest liked this post

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by JAVO View Post
    I enjoy being out in nature in all seasons, and winter is one of my favorite times, especially in extreme weather. I enjoy the challenge of it, but I also enjoy the experience. Snow, cold, and frost transforms the woods and mountains into an alien world, one we no longer recognize from our summer or even fall visit. Leaves rustling in the wind turn into ghostly whispers as life sleeps and appears to die. The overwhelming chorus of insects is gone, replaced by the ever-present howls of the wind and the constant crunching of your own footsteps.

What do you enjoy about winter? What are some activities or trips you've done?
    Winter is the sadness of seasons. The contrast it provides to the other seasons allows us to understand the happiness of them.....Did I just sound like Mole? Oh well. That should save him the trouble of coming here and saying something similar.

@JAVO I enjoyed your description of winter. It makes me miss the insects though.
    Likes JAVO liked this post