User Tag List

123 Last

I'm too sad for pants. Z Buck McFate's Avatar
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Default Bone broth. Ever successfully make any?

Does anyone (besides @fidelia ) have experience with cooking bone broth? (Instead of continuing to bombard her with questions, I figured I'd ask the whole forum).

I just tried making some according to this recipe, and it's supposed to simmer for 48 hours. Although I had it simmering over the lowest possible stove top setting, all the water evaporated within 18 hours of starting. Possibly sooner - the pot was dry by the time someone woke up. (I did initially bring it to a boil, as the recipe directs, before changing the heat source to the lowest possible setting).

So what am I maybe missing?
    Reality is a collective hunch. -Lily Tomlin

INFJ 5w4 sx/sp Johari / Nohari -or- disagree with my type?

I make broth regularly, albeit don't simmer for 48 hours. If there's time, it's heated to boil on the stove and simmered on low in a slow cooker for a day. The vinegar is unnecessary and adds a subjectively distasteful flavour. Can't be bothered to skim (strain through cheesecloth once done), especially since once cooled and left in the fridge overnight, the fat and impurities are removed.

Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by bechimo View Post
    If there's time, it's heated to boil on the stove and simmered on low in a slow cooker for a day.
    Thanks. Now I'm remembering fid said something about a slow cooker as well, but it didn't occur to me to boil on stovetop then move it to slow cooker. I'll try it next.

Quote Originally Posted by Z Buck McFate View Post
    Thanks. Now I'm remembering fid said something about a slow cooker as well, but it didn't occur to me to boil on stovetop then move it to slow cooker. I'll try it next.
    Yeah, I don't like to leave home with anything on the stove or in the oven, or while sleeping, so the slow cooker is a viable alternative.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

I've made it in a pressure cooker (Instant Pot). It comes out very good and the addition of chicken feet added that collagen I was looking for.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.
    Likes Peter Deadpan liked this post

Armchair Explorer Doctor Anaximander's Avatar
    MBTI
    TiSi
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

it's good with beef bones. Or lamb bones.

Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Yeah^, I was going for the beef. Normally I try to steer clear of meat, but beef is my favorite. I found a local farm that sells grass fed/pasture raised/hormone-free/all that bones. Which is why I'm giving bone broth a try.

Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    I've made it in a pressure cooker (Instant Pot). It comes out very good and the addition of chicken feet added that collagen I was looking for.
    Do you have any tips for someone making bone broth in a pressure cooker for the first time? (I have already learned how to use a pressure cooker. I'm happy to report the second degree burns I got on my chest, face & arms while learning have healed nicely.)

Also, do you throw the chicken feet into any bone broth, or just chicken? I'm going to admit I'm too squeamish to try it soon, but maybe at some point.

Likes Doctor Anaximander liked this post

Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Oh! Also ceecee, do you add any vegetables? I'm guessing not, because 3 hours in a pressure cooker would probably turn carrots and celery to pure mush.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    512 sp/so

I'm Cantonese. Found out that the western "bone broth" is just our normal soup. We have soup at every meal. There is no need to boil for 48 h, even our cantonese congee is just cooked overnight. Mom typically boils soup starting in the morning, on low heat, periodically skim off the surface and it's ready for dinner. We add water along the way to make sure that it doesn't dry out, and add salt/pepper closer to the end to taste. We don't even have recipes for it - it's just a method of ensuring that we don't waste any component of food.

So typically we'd use something like pork bone/ribs as a base, and boil it with some soy sauce. Mom uses a pressure cooker when she's pressed for time, or when she's trying to cook something fancy like ox tail (which isn't a broth). Since I'm living alone I use a slow cooker - just chuck in the mean/bone base with water in the morning with herbs/spices/red onion/garlic/ginger, by evening it's done. If you want to add vegetables, just cut and add to the simmering pot for an hour or so before it's done. Or if they're hard/root vegetables, a bit longer than that. Don't add it at the start. You can also save the soup and use it as a base for "natural" chicken/beef/pork stock for noodles or risotto or stew.
    "How badly did you have to break it to make it care about people so much?"
    "That didn't break it. It's what made it work."

5w6 1w9 2w1, sp/so
    Likes Peter Deadpan liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Z Buck McFate View Post
    Yeah^, I was going for the beef. Normally I try to steer clear of meat, but beef is my favorite. I found a local farm that sells grass fed/pasture raised/hormone-free/all that bones. Which is why I'm giving bone broth a try.

Do you have any tips for someone making bone broth in a pressure cooker for the first time? (I have already learned how to use a pressure cooker. I'm happy to report the second degree burns I got on my chest, face & arms while learning have healed nicely.)

Also, do you throw the chicken feet into any bone broth, or just chicken? I'm going to admit I'm too squeamish to try it soon, but maybe at some point.
    Ouch. I assume this was a stovetop pressure cooker. It would be nearly impossible to injure yourself with an electric pressure cooker - too many safety features. The other plus is that it's replaced my slow cooker and rice cooker. It's a fantastic appliance.

In my mind, bone broth is just stock and that's how I use it. I use a normal mirepoix, bay leaf plus fish sauce. I brown the bones, deglaze, add the feet and vegetables plus other ingredients and set for 2 hrs. I don't use a fat separator - just chill overnight and remove the fat that's gelled at the top.

Without pressure cooking I'd roast the bones and vegetables, be it beef or chicken, in the oven. Deglaze, add water, seasonings and herbs, feet and simmer. That part you could do in the slow cooker.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.