• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Wine!

bronte

MBTI Type
infp
I love that first glug of a glass of wine after a crappy day at work! Currently drinking either pino grigios, zinfandels or chiantis - thanks folks - your posts have made my mouth water and given me some ideas for new treats! Sod the old liver!

Jae Rae

Free-Rangin' Librarian
MBTI Type
INFJ
Taltarni Brut Tache

Just had some of this lovely sparkling wine: lovely salmon color, hint of berries and a honey scent, but not sweet. Delicious with turkey. Wonderful for a holiday dinner with toasting.

Review here:

Tara Q. Thomas: Taltarni Brut Taché, about $20

Imported by Clos du Val, sometimes available at Costco and BevMo.

O

Oberon

My friends from Calgary brought some White Zinfindel when they came to visit...they put ice in it. I was apalled. :p

That's an appropriate presentation of white zinfandel. Treat it like Kool-Aid, and keep your expectations low.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
My reason always given for not drinking a white zin is that I went through my jungle juice phase in college, I no longer have a need for kool-aide with alcohol in it! ;)

I DO love a good red zin though- it's a lot of flavor in a glass :drool:

O

Oberon

About red wine... I took my wife to Chili's on Friday for a meal, and as part of my new food discipline I ordered the margarita grilled chicken (marinated grilled chicken breast on a bed of rice and black beans, with fresh pico de gallo and a house salad on the side) and a glass of house cabernet. The house cab was Beringer, almost as ordinaire as vin gets... but they charged me six bucks a glass for the stuff. My two glasses with dinner would have bought me the whole bottle at the grocery store, with change.

Of course, theirs probably came from a box... :D

spirilis

Senior Membrane
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
About red wine... I took my wife to Chili's on Friday for a meal, and as part of my new food discipline I ordered the margarita grilled chicken (marinated grilled chicken breast on a bed of rice and black beans, with fresh pico de gallo and a house salad on the side) and a glass of house cabernet. The house cab was Beringer, almost as ordinaire as vin gets... but they charged me six bucks a glass for the stuff. My two glasses with dinner would have bought me the whole bottle at the grocery store, with change.

Of course, theirs probably came from a box... :D

On the other side of the spectrum, there's the local Hanover area where it's no small feat to get a liquor license, so this one recently-opened italian restaurant stresses their BYOB policy. I found it slightly amusing seeing an older guy sitting at his table alone examining the bottle of wine he just drank before putting the bottle back in its paper bag.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I actually LIKE BYOB policies if I can see the menu first- then I can get a much better deal on the wine and insure that I'll have something that I WANT to drink instead of having to settle for something on the wine list! :yes:

and on the note of wines and derivatives, I loathe most brandies- I just had a few pours of a couple this evening- it made me wish to vomit from it's pure cardboard + everclear flavor :sick: (though a good armagnac is a lovely thing!)

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
It's interesting to notice that most of you, when you talk about wines, are rather refering to the cépage (grape variety), when I would rather think to the terroir first.

In the US, in Australia or in Chile, wines are usually produced in industrial quantities, on very wide surfaces, so there's only a minimal thought about the exact location where the wine has been produced. Yet the nature of climate and soils are of extreme importance.

In France, we would not say "it's a red cabernet", or "it's a zinfandel"... but rather "it's a Bourgogne", "it's a Medoc", "it's a Côtes du Rhône"... and so on.

The terroir says a lot more: its taste, how it has been "vinifié", it's far more precise. The same grape variety, when grown on different soils can produce tremendously different wines, especially in quality.
There are awful, undrinkable Bordeaux. And there are incredible Bordeaux too. Sometimes, the difference between the two is only a hill, a micro-climate, or a nearby stream.

When you taste a french wine, you taste the land where it has been invented, or carefully selected.

So far my favorites are red Bourgogne [red burgundy] from the Côtes de Beaune area, up to the Côtes de Nuit. Gevrey-Chambertin, le "Bonnes Mares" in the Chambolle-Musigny AOC, Vosne-Romanée, Pommard, Aloxe-Corton... et caetera...
Those fabulous names are poetry for my palate, my nose and my ears!

There are deep, complex wines that are bathed with the morning light (little limestone hills exposed to the east), and a little dessicating effect because of the southern winds directly coming from Mediterranée through the Rhône and Saône valleys..
They should reach maturity after 5 or 10 years.

Vineyards_Vosne-roman%C3%A9e.jpg

O

Oberon

Yes, buying wine according to the soil and local climate is better.

I am not at present capable of doing this is any kind of informed manner, which can of course change, but there it is. I suspect that any sort of serious study into this subject will end my days of buying wine at the local grocery store...

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The US especially tends to produce varietals as opposed to meritage blends, though we're finally starting to blend our grapes as well. You still can buy a straight varietal based on where its grown though- for instance, there are about 12 different major Zinfandel regions of California and all of them have different characteristics in the flavors of the grape- I personally have a preference for Paso Robles over the others, but that's just me. The soil still matters- that's why people travel to Napa to go on a vineyard crawl. :)

The best way to learn the difference is to drink and to read (and talking to someone who knows the differences!). Over time you'll realize that the land, the year and who made it matter just as much as the grapes themselves that went into it.

And yes, we're blending some here now- for instance, Opus One is a blend- and a very tasty one at that. It's a bordeaux style blend, but tastes different since it's all Oakville grapes instead of French- no less delicious though ;)

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
I can just tell you that to buy only 1 single hectare of the land seen on this picture, you have to be a multimillionaire (it's the Romanée-Conti vineyard, I think). When you have the right soil, the right climate all together in the right spot, then it's like a gold mine.

Depending on the vineyards on the bottom, the middle (best) or the top of the hill, the prices of the bottles may vary from 1 to 16.

O

Oberon

I can just tell you that to buy only 1 single hectare of the land seen on this picture, you have to be a multimillionaire (it's the Romanée-Conti vineyard, I think). When you have the right soil, the right climate all together in the right spot, then it's like a gold mine.

Depending on the vineyards on the bottom, the middle (best) or the top of the hill, the prices of the bottles may vary from 1 to 16.

1 to 16 what?

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
1 to 16 what?

Well, I'll let you check the price of Romanée-Conti bottles here, since it is the one shown in the picture:

----> 1855: Domaine de la Roman

When I say it's a gold mine, you have no idea how true it is... :D

(The price for ONE bottle (75cl) ranges between 709€ to 17940€)

Yes, ONE bottle of this wine may cost you the price of a new car. This vineyard produces only 6000 bottles a year.

---

I have never bought myself one bottle of Romanée-Conti, of course, but the more "ordinary" Côtes-de-Nuits bottle usually costs something like 10 to 50€. Thus, unless I suddenly win at the french lottery, odds are I'll never become a true alcoholic. ;)

O

Oberon

Well, I'll let you check the price of Romanée-Conti bottles here, since it is the one shown in the picture:

----> 1855: Domaine de la Roman

When I say it's a gold mine, you have no idea how true it is... :D

(The price for ONE bottle (75cl) ranges between 709€ to 17940€)

Yes, ONE bottle of this wine may cost you the price of a new car. This vineyard produce only 6000 bottles a year.

Foolishness.

Jae Rae

Free-Rangin' Librarian
MBTI Type
INFJ
It's interesting to notice that most of you, when you talk about wines, are rather refering to the cépage (grape variety), when I would rather think to the terroir first.

In the US, in Australia or in Chile, wines are usually produced in industrial quantities, on very wide surfaces, so there's only a minimal thought about the exact location where the wine has been produced. Yet the nature of climate and soils are of extreme importance.

In France, we would not say "it's a red cabernet", or "it's a zinfandel"... but rather "it's a Bourgogne", "it's a Medoc", "it's a Côtes du Rhône"... and so on.

The terroir says a lot more: its taste, how it has been "vinifié", it's far more precise. The same grape variety, when grown on different soils can produce tremendously different wines, especially in quality.
Those fabulous names are poetry for my palate, my nose and my ears!

There are deep, complex wines that are bathed with the morning light (little limestone hills exposed to the east), and a little dessicating effect because of the southern winds directly coming from Mediterranée through the Rhône and Saône valleys..
They should reach maturity after 5 or 10 years.

Thanks for the lesson, Blackmail. California has a system of labelling many wines according to valley or microclimate as well as varietal.

The wine I mentioned earlier has a Tasmanian terroir. :D It's a blend of Chardonnay, Pinot Noir and Pinot Meunier (new one for me).

O

Oberon

Indeed!

But it seems there are fools that buy those bottles (20% of them go to the United States). You know, that's the laws of supply and demand. :smoke:

Well, yes. And without doubt this vineyard produces excellent vintages.

However, when the prices reach this level, it says as much about marketing, prestige, and fashion as it does the excellence of the product itself.

In other words, it's no longer completely about the wine.

kuranes

MBTI Type
XNXP

I have had a few bottles of Pinot Noir from those areas. ( La Tache and Echezeaux ) and they had too much "backbone" for me. My favorite French Cote de Nuit Pinot Noirs ( so far ) have been a Coron Pere et Fils Vosne Romanee and ( from the Cote de Challonais ) a Mercurey. I shared Blackmail's Beaune preference too. I don't recall having the choice of buying or even knowing the placement of the grapes in the field. ( Top of the hill or middle etc. ) Perhaps I need to further decode the labels ?

I looked and found an inexpensive Mercurey on the net. Might be worth trying.
Vielle Vigne Mercurey Premier Cru Menand 1999 :: Wine Review :: Winegeeks