• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

i'm making chicken soup

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
who wants some?

I'm a chicken soup virgin and am feeling suitable nervous about this particular rite of passage.

All hints and tips welcome.

BerberElla

12 and a half weeks
MBTI Type
infp
Moroccan chicken soup:

Chicken bits, skinned, up to you how many.
Vermiccili
Parsley about a heaped palm full of it choped fresh or dried
Coriander same as the parsley
Tumeric about a tespoon and half
Black pepper to your taste, same with the salt
Half a teaspoon of ground ginger
One large onion grated
2 tablespoons of oil of your choice

Fry grated onion in the oil until softened, add chicken fry for a few minutes, add herbs and spices and half a cup of water and leave to simmer for another five minutes, stirring occassionally. Add a few cups of water so that it covers the chicken to about an inch above, leave to simmer.

Keep adding water as you check on it to be sure the water stays at that level for about 30 minutes, then crunch up some vermicilli into it, leave for about 5 minutes and serve with crunchy bread and butter.

BerberElla

12 and a half weeks
MBTI Type
infp
mmm! sounds yum! now...where to get me some vermicelli and other that other posh stuff.

LOL well vermicilli is just really thin noodles, you can get a chinese noodle that is just as thin, basically look for the thinnest noodles you can find.

And the rest is all available in a supermarket or the local cash and carry corner shop. (or it should be) :)

It really is nice, I like mine quite peppery especially when I'm ill. It's cheap comfort food.

Midget

MBTI Type
ENFP
I've been feeling the urge to make soup this weekend, too, and with as rainy as it is going to be...I've nothing better to do I guess!

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've been feeling the urge to make soup this weekend, too, and with as rainy as it is going to be...I've nothing better to do I guess!

you can have mine - it blew chunks (quite literally!)
I don't have BerberElla's skills.

yugyug

MBTI Type
I?TP
Family Favorite

Combine in saucepan:
Cooked chicken, diced (soy kind for us, since we're vegetarians)
Diced Potatoes
1 can whole kernel corn (with its juice)
chicken bouillon, to taste
sprinkle or two of dill weed
(Could add diced carrots and drained can of Great Northern beans, but I don't usually)

Boil gently till potatoes (and carrots, if added) are tender. Lower heat a bit and melt a couple slices of real American cheese into it. Remove from heat, once cheese is melted and stirred in, and serve.

EDIT: I forgot! Add chopped onions and minced garlic, too. You can use dried onion and garlic powder, too. The soup isn't quite the same taste (nor is it as healthy) without it.

Last edited:

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
If you make it from scratch, including the stock, it always turns out good, but it takes a lot of time to cook. When you start taking short cuts, that's when it starts increasing the chances of not turning out well.

Midget

MBTI Type
ENFP
I never got around to making soup...but yesterday I made some chicken curry that is YUMMY! <3 :)