• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Keeping a sun room cheerful in the winter

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Hey - I moved into a new place a few months ago, and my room has an attached sun room. The goal is to use it as a reading room and place to relax in a comfy chair. Problem is that I'll probably want to keep hanging out in there in the winter, when daylight hours are limited.

I'm thinking brightly colored curtains? Festive solar powered lights? And maybe also I could put my S.A.D. light in there and use that as my recharge station every morning?

I'll edit the OP with photos when I have a chance to take some tonight.

Edit: Took some!

IMG_0468.jpg

IMG_0469.jpg

Last edited:

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Hey - I moved into a new place a few months ago, and my room has an attached sun room. The goal is to use it as a reading room and place to relax in a comfy chair. Problem is that I'll probably want to keep hanging out in there in the winter, when daylight hours are limited.

I'm thinking brightly colored curtains? Festive solar powered lights? And maybe also I could put my S.A.D. light in there and use that as my recharge station every morning?

I'll edit the OP with photos when I have a chance to take some tonight.

Sounds wonderful. I'd love a room like that. As it is I am just happy ot be moving into a 2-bdrm.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Sounds wonderful. I'd love a room like that. As it is I am just happy ot be moving into a 2-bdrm.
It is wonderful! And I know your feel.

The price I pay for this life of luxury is having five roommates - plus my room is, I think, the most expensive room in the house. But it's a pretty amazing deal for that price, and for the area.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Added photos to the OP.

(You can see that there's a weird storage nook off to the side. I'm also interested in ideas for how to make that a bit less messy looking. Maybe buying a small screen of some kind? Or just more attractive storage?)

gromit

likes this
Looks super cheery to me! One or two bright, simple prints or pieces of artwork could do the trick too, warm colors, like yellow.

citizen cane

ornery ornithologist
MBTI Type
BIRD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
I would recommend candles, incense, or potpourri.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I would recommend candles, incense, or potpourri.

Yep. The papasans chair is a great start (you can also buy different covers for them). I would change out the window treatments to bamboo blinds and maybe a more sheer curtain - that way you would maximize light but there would be good texture and you could close them if need be. A brightly colored rug, for the storage area something more functional - a rack with basket cubbies or something like that.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think keeping any sort of plant life is a great addition. If low light levels for part or all year round, just look for plants that do ok in low or indirect light settings. And if you typically kill plants, succulents and cactus are a great way to go (unless your issue is over-watering). :)

And, I second warm colors, and any decor you find really uplifting or that you just find pleasure looking at / being surrounded by.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I think keeping any sort of plant life is a great addition. If low light levels for part or all year round, just look for plants that do ok in low or indirect light settings. And if you typically kill plants, succulents and cactus are a great way to go (unless your issue is over-watering). :)

And, I second warm colors, and any decor you find really uplifting or that you just find pleasure looking at / being surrounded by.

I agree with plants. Lucky bamboo or the lucky money trees are totally easy to grow plus they're very feng shui-y if that's important.

citizen cane

ornery ornithologist
MBTI Type
BIRD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp

Plant life is strongly seconded. Also, find ways to maximize natural light if you can.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Thanks all! :)

I'm definitely adding more plants. As you can see, I already have some, but just bought a few more little seedlings - we'll see how they grow indoors.

Some follow-up:

Yep. The papasans chair is a great start (you can also buy different covers for them). I would change out the window treatments to bamboo blinds and maybe a more sheer curtain - that way you would maximize light but there would be good texture and you could close them if need be.
I've been thinking a lot about curtains - specifically whether it would be worth it to save money and make my own, vs buying them from somewhere. Seems like all the prettiest and most promising curtains are over $70. :/

for the storage area something more functional - a rack with basket cubbies or something like that.
Do you have any visual examples of this? I love the idea but am not sure what it would look like.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Thanks all! :)

I'm definitely adding more plants. As you can see, I already have some, but just bought a few more little seedlings - we'll see how they grow indoors.

Some follow-up:

I've been thinking a lot about curtains - specifically whether it would be worth it to save money and make my own, vs buying them from somewhere. Seems like all the prettiest and most promising curtains are over $70. :/

Do you have any visual examples of this? I love the idea but am not sure what it would look like.

Look online for the curtains - Amazon, Overstock, Bed Bath and Beyond has good deals with coupons too. I have Roman bamboo blinds on two big windows and I got a sort of textured somewhat sheer curtain. I think I got each panel for about $15 and I needed 8 total (two slider doors on each side of the room) so not too bad.

Something like this with baskets. Of course IKEA makes bigger ones than this and they're reasonably priced.

images