• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Attracting birds to your yard

curmudgeon

We don't have cute squirrels. Only the grey, fluffy country rats.

I am moving my bird feeder setup today because the squirrels are making a mess of my patio. I suspect we will lose birds for a while. When I tried to move the feeder last year, everyone stopped coming. I was so upset, I put it back, but I cannot stand this greasy suet mess on the patio floor another day.

I saw my first male hummingbird yesterday (ever), and the day before that I saw my first red-breasted grosbeak. And we now have flickers darting around the yard, eating ants.

sdalek

MBTI Type
ISFJ
We don't have cute squirrels. Only the grey, fluffy country rats.

I am moving my bird feeder setup today because the squirrels are making a mess of my patio. I suspect we will lose birds for a while. When I tried to move the feeder last year, everyone stopped coming. I was so upset, I put it back, but I cannot stand this greasy suet mess on the patio floor another day.

I saw my first male hummingbird yesterday (ever), and the day before that I saw my first red-breasted grosbeak. And we now have flickers darting around the yard, eating ants.

I wouldn't be too worried about moving the feeder. When they get hungry, people will come. (Yes, I call birds people...:harhar: ) Wherever you move it, they will find it soon enough. Move it to where you feel comfortable with it, but be sure to look at the location you move it from a bird's eye view to be sure that there isn't anything nearby that will absolutely drive them away.