• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Twitchy Birder Blog

Natrushka

Pareo cattus
MBTI Type
INTJ
I was agreeing. Yes, I could. I might. Not now though. How's that for letting a little Pness out?

Natrushka

Pareo cattus
MBTI Type
INTJ
Downypeckerheads

Since this is the Twitchy Birder Blog I have these to share, moma and poppa downy have a very large, very lazy son.

Last edited:

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Oh...there are other birders on this site??!!?? Very cool. I've been a birder since I was about 10 - how unfortunate, to be a teenager with such a geeky interest - anyway, if anyone ever wants to chat about birds, I like to think I know a *decent* amount about them (350+ N.A. species so far..).

Here's a photo that makes me smile. Ok, two --

Last edited:

Natrushka

Pareo cattus
MBTI Type
INTJ
Nice photos, cascademn. What part of the world do you live in? I don't recognize either of those birds.

I wish I had my camera with me earlier today. I watched a sharp shinned hawk swoop down into the backyard and chase off a hairy woodpecker. I hope the little peckerhead made it, I'm fond of them.

Circle of life 'n all that stuff.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hey -

Thanks! I'm in MN, but took those photos while traveling.

The large bird is a Sandhill Crane, which was on its way south and passing through Jasper Natl Park in the canadian Rockies.

The hummingbird is called a Broad-billed Hummingbird, and I took that photo in southern Arizona.

They're just a couple of my favorite bird photos; my local shots aren't terribly good, and I'm quickly learning that bird photography is really challenging. Because, you know, birds move a lot. ;) One of my 'goals' is to get as many species as possible on film, but unfortunately I'm learning that a 300mm lens just doesn't cut it. I'm gonna have to get a big telefoto at some point.

I love sharp-shinned hawks. I don't see them that often though.

Natrushka

Pareo cattus
MBTI Type
INTJ
Mr. Broadbilled hummingbird is quite the colourful fellow!

I love sharp-shinned hawks. I don't see them that often though.

We have a lot of them 'round here. I snapped the one below in my backyard last November (bad lighting and grainy). I lived in the 'burbs then - a testament to how abundant they are 'round here.

prey2.jpg

prey3.jpg

Photographing birds is challenging, especially when the light is low (as it's been for the last few days here). We had a flock of 100+ juncos in the backyard this morning, I don't know how well the pictures I took will come out, I had to use a horribly low shutterspeed.

This Bittern showed up in our present back yard this May. First time I'd seen one of them, we have more herons than any other shorebirds.

43cb43cf-1.jpg

creativeRhino

MBTI Type
INTJ
Oh, I love bird watching (but am still learning about what I am looking at...)
For me and my camera it is like hunting (but bloodless) patience and speed to catch the moment...

This was taken about 60kms from my place, but they also can be found in the riverland park a couple of hundred metres from my place.

Rainbow lorikeets are well named.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Natrushka - awesome pics. What kind of camera and lens to you use?

I'm SO jealous of the bittern shot!!! I can't believe he just walked into your backyard!! Arg...it is one of my nemesis birds.. I have yet to see one...sigh.

CreativeRhino - cute pic! As for learning about what you're looking at, it's just knowledge you slowly build/accumulate over time. You'll get really good at identifying a lot of the more common birds, then you'll increase your scope and learn more about other ones..and if you become really crazy, you might actually take trips just to see rarer birds, or birds that don't live in your area!! Eek!

Natrushka

Pareo cattus
MBTI Type
INTJ
This was taken about 60kms from my place, but they also can be found in the riverland park a couple of hundred metres from my place.

Rainbow lorikeets are well named.

Beautiful. I love the colourful ones.

Natrushka - awesome pics. What kind of camera and lens to you use?

I'm SO jealous of the bittern shot!!! I can't believe he just walked into your backyard!! Arg...it is one of my nemesis birds.. I have yet to see one...sigh.

It's a digital, Canon, S3. The camera comes with an amazing lens, I haven't had to add to it yet, it gets me from 36

Natrushka

Pareo cattus
MBTI Type
INTJ
My "Batemans"

I took these today in the snow - it was coming down so hard half the time I couldn't focus the camera on the birds. The photos have not been retouched, they're as they came off the camera.