• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Where Should I Move To?

Norrsken

self murderer
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Note: I am not too sure where to post this, and I contemplated about putting it in the advice sub-forum, but since it's about home, I figured why not here. If this is an issue, definitely let me know so that I can talk with a mod about moving it. Thanks. Also, there are bullet points that are blank, I cannot get rid of them, so please ignore them.

My husband and I are planning to move away from Ireland sometime in 2017. We are not too sure if we should go back to the United States, or his home country in the Netherlands. I am going to post a questionnaire, with his answers, and then the same one again but with my own answers. If anyone could also give me new ideas to add to the questionnaire to help narrow down the perfect country for us to move to, I'm all ears. Bold words are the choices we've picked for each section. Thank you so much in advance. Without further ado..

Him:

Me:

lexiphanic

MBTI Type
intp
Just move somewhere for fun. Couch surf. Get the feel for multiple places. I think you're totally over-analyzing it.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Why do you want to move from Ireland if I may ask? Do you not want to stay in the UK at all?

Codex

MBTI Type
ENTJ
What about thailand? Singapore? I've hear amazing things from expats I've worked with who spent some time there.

Edit: I see you're not interested in Asian countires.

There are going to be pros and cons to everything

Luke O

Super Ape
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I can't think of one country that would meet all those criteria. I'm suggesting New Zealand though. Hot and wet countries tend to be developing countries and don't speak English as their main language.

There's Singapore but part of me feels it's a little crowded.

Norrsken

self murderer
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Just move somewhere for fun. Couch surf. Get the feel for multiple places. I think you're totally over-analyzing it.

We desire stability.

Why do you want to move from Ireland if I may ask? Do you not want to stay in the UK at all?

We used to live in Belfast for several months together, actually! Ireland and the UK are just way too cold for us to enjoy life in. We want a place that doesn't rain nearly 24 hours a day.

What about thailand? Singapore? I've hear amazing things from expats I've worked with who spent some time there.

Edit: I see you're not interested in Asian countires.

There are going to be pros and cons to everything

We visited Thailand, liked it, but we wouldn't be happy there. As someone else said, wet and hot countries tend to be developing and not a lot of people can speak English the way we are exposed our whole lives with, but we do enjoy Asian cultures a lot.

I can't think of one country that would meet all those criteria. I'm suggesting New Zealand though. Hot and wet countries tend to be developing countries and don't speak English as their main language.

There's Singapore but part of me feels it's a little crowded.

New Zealand sounds pretty cool. Australia intrigues my husband, though the wild life scares the shit out of me. The long legged spiders I'm seeing around these parts in Ireland is enough to give me a panic attack, I think the Australian ones would straight up send me into a coma. ;p

I really think Switzerland is a beautiful country, but it is way too expensive to live there, or so I've heard. What do you think?

Lia_kat

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Where did you guys live when you were in the US? What were some of the reasons you moved away?

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I really think Switzerland is a beautiful country, but it is way too expensive to live there, or so I've heard. What do you think?

It's ridiculously expensive there. I think Zurich, Geneva and Basel top most lists. What about somewhere like Spain or Portugal? Warmer, cost of living is a little less. Just an idea.

Cloudpatrol

Senior(ita) Member
Hmmm, Australia and NZ are exciting possibilities [MENTION=26674]theforsaken[/MENTION] :heart:

I have heard the more extraordinary insects/creatures of unusual size, are found in the rural areas??

(BTW, Your combined lists only reaffirm my belief you should move to Canada :p)

Because of the cost and energy involved in big moves, I am going to make the assumption that ‘where you land’ will constitute your home for several years.

Soooo, these are the things that came to mind when reading your post. Things to potentially consider, of the top contenders:

-Do you foresee children entering the picture? If so - you could include the local education system or the curriculum requirements for home schooling - in research.

-Do you think you will rent or own? Maybe look into housing rates based on the answer. If you are thinking of buying, I would also research property taxes and the local market. If renting, what are places currently going for? What utilities are commonly included and what is the cost of those that aren’t?

-What does the public transportation consist of? How much is ride or a monthly pass? What do auto insurance/gasoline cost locally?

-If health and security are important to you, it might be good to look into crime rates in neighbourhoods in your price bracket. Also, what IS the health care system and what quality?

-Can you research to see what the job forecasting is - for each of you respectively - in the places you are legit considering?

-What is the standard of living (what is taxed, how much do groceries or clothes cost etc.). Which Government is currently in power? Are the stances pleasing to you (or you can at least live with them) ideologically?

-Maybe you could take some guide books (Lonely Planet, Frommer’s) out of the Library and see what kind of “feel” your top places have. Are there natural parks? What do people do for entertainment? Sometimes I virtually ‘walk around’ places I am curious about globally, on Google Earth.

Given the answers to the above, which places will allow you to have the lifestyle you desire and suit your practical needs?

You mentioned lots of forests and mountains. This is just a short road-trip from my house…innnnnnnn Canada:newwink:

Okay, okay I know there are actually tons of great spots around the globe you could live.

Colum_zpspjixji3x.jpg

Am genuinely excited for you and Mr. Fitz, Girly. Hope the research and planning are as rewarding as the actual move.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Born Hawaii, parents relocated to get away from alcohol. Dad was an alcoholic, hasnt touched since. Moved to California when i was 3. dad relocated to Texas when i was in fifth grade for job. Been here ever since. Gonna move up north to tennessee, missouri area when my son is 18, maybe 6-8 years. He is free to follow, up to him at that time.

I have never felt like i fit in here in Texas.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9

My husband and I say the same kind of thing when we're just visiting. I can't imagine how it is living there. TN is lovely.

Norrsken

self murderer
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Where did you guys live when you were in the US? What were some of the reasons you moved away?

I am American, its my husband who is an EU national from the Netherlands. He works for a video game company right now and they have offices in the U.S., in California, Texas, Louisiana, Florida, Utah, and Washington, so that is also a very sensible moving option.

I am going to send in the I-130 forms for him soon to get the process going even if we don't pick America for 2017, but it'll be good to have it as a backup option. My reason for moving away was to live, work, and marry my husband this year while he is living/working here in Ireland.

It's ridiculously expensive there. I think Zurich, Geneva and Basel top most lists. What about somewhere like Spain or Portugal? Warmer, cost of living is a little less. Just an idea.

My husband wouldn't mind Spain and neither would I. I was born with a Spanish tongue, but its him who will struggle despite his desire to learn the language.

Hmmm, Australia and NZ are exciting possibilities [MENTION=26674]theforsaken[/MENTION] :heart:

I have heard the more extraordinary insects/creatures of unusual size, are found in the rural areas??

(BTW, Your combined lists only reaffirm my belief you should move to Canada :p)

Because of the cost and energy involved in big moves, I am going to make the assumption that ‘where you land’ will constitute your home for several years.

Soooo, these are the things that came to mind when reading your post. Things to potentially consider, of the top contenders:

-Do you foresee children entering the picture? If so - you could include the local education system or the curriculum requirements for home schooling - in research.

-Do you think you will rent or own? Maybe look into housing rates based on the answer. If you are thinking of buying, I would also research property taxes and the local market. If renting, what are places currently going for? What utilities are commonly included and what is the cost of those that aren’t?

-What does the public transportation consist of? How much is ride or a monthly pass? What do auto insurance/gasoline cost locally?

-If health and security are important to you, it might be good to look into crime rates in neighbourhoods in your price bracket. Also, what IS the health care system and what quality?

-Can you research to see what the job forecasting is - for each of you respectively - in the places you are legit considering?

-What is the standard of living (what is taxed, how much do groceries or clothes cost etc.). Which Government is currently in power? Are the stances pleasing to you (or you can at least live with them) ideologically?

-Maybe you could take some guide books (Lonely Planet, Frommer’s) out of the Library and see what kind of “feel” your top places have. Are there natural parks? What do people do for entertainment? Sometimes I virtually ‘walk around’ places I am curious about globally, on Google Earth.

Given the answers to the above, which places will allow you to have the lifestyle you desire and suit your practical needs?

You mentioned lots of forests and mountains. This is just a short road-trip from my house…innnnnnnn Canada:newwink:

Okay, okay I know there are actually tons of great spots around the globe you could live.

Colum_zpspjixji3x.jpg

Am genuinely excited for you and Mr. Fitz, Girly. Hope the research and planning are as rewarding as the actual move.

:blush::wubbie::hug:

Those are all amazing questions and I will discuss them with my husband today. I can't believe I haven't even thought of them at all. That's Ni for you, lmao.

Canada is also another feasible option for us. First world western country, English speaking, not boring at all, lots of natural beauty with mountains and parks and forests, seems fairly safe for the most part, and there's always something for everyone there. Plus the folks are very friendly, so that's a plus! My dad also joked (but was half serious) that if Trump wins, he'll consider moving himself and his family to Canada, so that's also another thing I have to consider.

I'll strongly recommend this to my spouse, thank you!

Born Hawaii, parents relocated to get away from alcohol. Dad was an alcoholic, hasnt touched since. Moved to California when i was 3. dad relocated to Texas when i was in fifth grade for job. Been here ever since. Gonna move up north to tennessee, missouri area when my son is 18, maybe 6-8 years. He is free to follow, up to him at that time.

What was living in California like for you?

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
*sees mentions of Singapore and Australia*

I'm in Singapore right now. Planning on moving back to Australia in 2017 (spent 9 years there before). Lived in Ithaca, NY for a year.

Seems that you like warm weather - Singapore is warm, or rather, fucking hot. It's so humid that it's unbearable for most people. The worst part? It stays hot and humid all year round. We also cop smoke from intentional burning of forests in Indonesia for 2-3 months a year, and it can get incredibly bad. Food is good and cheap. Housing is expensive. Cars cost in the region of $200,000. People are rude and racist unless you look white, then they treat you like you hang the moon.

I'm moving back to Melbourne, Australia - it has 4 seasons, summers are super hot (but it's a dry heat) and winters are typically rainy (never gets cold enough to snow). Lovely people, excellent coffee, very cosmopolitan and multi-cultural. Wonderful place if you're interested in the arts. Rent is expensive, and so is eating out. Fresh food can be obtained at a reasonable price though. Best universities and schools in the country. Politically very very liberal - our representative MP is a greens party member. Wild-life isn't an issue at all, stories are used to scare off people for amusement. No, drop bears don't really exist. You're unlikely to see a wallaby anywhere else but in a zoo.

If you prefer a warmer part of Australia, Queensland is a good choice. Very scenic, temperatures are in the 70s for winter, even summers don't get as warm as further south. Loads of floods though, with climate change. Also currently a national political pariah for electing the racist Pauline Hanson. Might not have many jobs, but the surf is great. You'll also get to see the great barrier reef before it disappears.

Sydney is a bore and people are snobs there. [the proportion of disgustingly good looking people though.. must be the beaches.]

Tasmania is full of inbred people.

Western Australia is full of bogans.

[/half serious. No seriously, Melbourne is ranked the #1 liveable city in the world for good reason.]

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I am American, its my husband who is an EU national from the Netherlands. He works for a video game company right now and they have offices in the U.S., in California, Texas, Louisiana, Florida, Utah, and Washington, so that is also a very sensible moving option.

I am going to send in the I-130 forms for him soon to get the process going even if we don't pick America for 2017, but it'll be good to have it as a backup option. My reason for moving away was to live, work, and marry my husband this year while he is living/working here in Ireland.

My husband wouldn't mind Spain and neither would I. I was born with a Spanish tongue, but its him who will struggle despite his desire to learn the language.

:blush::wubbie::hug:

Those are all amazing questions and I will discuss them with my husband today. I can't believe I haven't even thought of them at all. That's Ni for you, lmao.

Canada is also another feasible option for us. First world western country, English speaking, not boring at all, lots of natural beauty with mountains and parks and forests, seems fairly safe for the most part, and there's always something for everyone there. Plus the folks are very friendly, so that's a plus! My dad also joked (but was half serious) that if Trump wins, he'll consider moving himself and his family to Canada, so that's also another thing I have to consider.

I'll strongly recommend this to my spouse, thank you!

What was living in California like for you?

It was a mixed bag. I enjoyed it alot, but it had its gang violence issues. I lived about 30min from Sacramento. Middle class neighborhood, doesnt keep gangs out. Middle class parents with punk ass kids in gangs. Brothers junior high had a police station inside school with metal detectors. I had no issues what so ever in Elementary schools. I enjoyed the schools and the people, had lots of friends. Always outside playing, no fear despite gang issues. In second grade my range of roaming was about a 4-5 mile radius. Was mostly gang on gang issues, not much issues outside of gang on gang. Bloods and crips were the gangs where i live. Easy to spot and avoid, all red or all blue, bandana, most fit typical stereotype look.

Norrsken

self murderer
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It was a mixed bag. I enjoyed it alot, but it had its gang violence issues. I lived about 30min from Sacramento. Middle class neighborhood, doesnt keep gangs out. Middle class parents with punk ass kids in gangs. Brothers junior high had a police station inside school with metal detectors. I had no issues what so ever in Elementary schools. I enjoyed the schools and the people, had lots of friends. Always outside playing, no fear despite gang issues. In second grade my range of roaming was about a 4-5 mile radius. Was mostly gang on gang issues, not much issues outside of gang on gang. Bloods and crips were the gangs where i live. Easy to spot and avoid, all red or all blue, bandana, most fit typical stereotype look.

Yikes. I think I'll cross California out for now, then. Such a shame. I must've brought into that pristine clean image that Hollywood produces it to the non-locals.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
My husband and I say the same kind of thing when we're just visiting. I can't imagine how it is living there. TN is lovely.

My sister lives in tennessee, i dont know the people, but i enjoy the climate, all the trees, etc. I am a nature person at heart and Texas just doesnt really satisfy my nature side. Me and my ex used to vacation in Branson, missouri quite a bit. I enjoyed that drive and that place as well.

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I have been in Texas for a decade and never felt like it was home. There are good things about it but it just isn't me.

My favorite city I ever lived in was San Diego, but it combines expensive with limited employment opportunities. The weather is perfect year round, though.

Lia_kat

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I lived in Florida for many years and hated it. Super humid, horrible weather despite what most people say about it being "perfect", ridiculously expensive, annoying traffic and drivers, boring with no variety in nature, etc. It's like California's cousin, lol. Just some things to consider if it's on your list.

I also saw you mention Spain. My best friend (INFJ) moved there with her husband and she's thinking of moving somewhere else. The economy and job prospects are horrible.

One of my cousins lived in Canada for a while and he loved it. The nature is breathtaking (it does get extremely cold though). My husband and I have it as an option just in case things turn sour for us here in the US.

Norrsken

self murderer
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
[MENTION=27014]florpoetis[/MENTION], thank you for your honest observations on each of those places. It looks like I might be down to Canada or the Netherlands, and I seem to want to go back to the U.S. because its sentimental value rather than a logical choice in general. I have to use my head here, not my heart.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I will advocate for Texas because I love the place and... if warm, tropical climates are a very big deal for you, Texas DEFINITELY has that. :laugh: It's warm most of the year around... Certainly not as cold as Ireland. I live in Asheville, which has a very stark all 4 seasons.. Summer is merely 3 months, and now it's already fall.. and even "summer" we saw 40 degrees here early into it.

Though, on the other hand, 4 seasons and tropic climates don't go hand in hand.. Though, where I live, if I want far warmer weather, it's a few hours drive away and tada. :yes: Where as at my hometown in Texas, there was no "2 hours and you're someplace significantly different". Texas is a vacuum :3 there's no driving somewhere new quickly.

Plus, Texas has a relatively low cost of living, and Houston rates very high in diversity and Austin is the Southern Asheville. I can only speak for Houston really since that's where I lived for most of my life.. But in terms of things to need? Houston has everything. Decent education surprisingly if you have a bit of foresight into where you want to locate there, a high culturally diverse population, 2 major international airports for visiting friends/family, etc.

On the downside? anywhere Southern will have shit public transportation. A car is THE way to get around. Texas is definitely no exception to this rule, though Houston is pushing for better.. you probably won't see it in your lifetimes.

It IS a lot more... Wild west-y than anywhere in the UK will be, but it is a fun place to be..