• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why are Canadians such bad tippers?

MBTI Type
ENTP
American tourists are supposedly the best tippers, so it follows that Canadians would be worse.

SensEye

MBTI Type
INTp
I never understood that. Is it because servers up there make at least minimum wage?
That's probably part of it. Also, tips are effectively tax free, so to overtaxed Canadian wage earners like moi, a 10% tip is actually worth 15% of my pre-tax wages. So I have to earn $1.50 for every $1.00 I leave in tips, but since those dollars are tax free to the staff collecting them, each one is worth more in actual spending power.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Strange, I usually do 15% or more, that that is just me. Also, American tourists tend to make at least twice what I do so I suppose they have more money to throw around.

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
That's probably part of it. Also, tips are effectively tax free, so to overtaxed Canadian wage earners like moi, a 10% tip is actually worth 15% of my pre-tax wages. So I have to earn $1.50 for every $1.00 I leave in tips, but since those dollars are tax free to the staff collecting them, each one is worth more in actual spending power.

No, they are taxable, so you might want to watch admitting you don't declare the tax on them :shock:

Edit : unless you don't mean you are a waiter.. in which case you are just.. wrong? either way :doh:

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
It's very simple, actually. In the U.S., a tip seems to be expected for every service and task. In Canada, it isn't like that. For example, if you go golfing in the U.S., you should tip the guy who helps you get your bags out of your car (even if thats something you cna do on your own), but in Canada it's like "thanks, kid!" and they can just enjoy the 8 bucks an hour or whatever they make. Thats what I notice when I'm in the states, you have to tip for everything, but in Canada it's more just like waiters and stuff like that (and it's 15%).

So I think thats what it is, our culture doesn't have as much tipping and therefor we don't know how to tip to your expert-tipping standards.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
20% you cheapskate Canucks!

And the Cup resides where it belongs! In Detroit! Of the USA!

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
Please, don't even get me started on Detroit :laugh: It's such a joke that they call themselves Hockey Town. I'm not going to get into details, but to make a long story short, Montreal is and always will be the world capital of hockey!

LadyJaye

Scream down the boulevard
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
20% you cheapskate Canucks!

And the Cup resides where it belongs! In Detroit! Of the USA!

Let's go RED WINGS! Who cares if we get mugged twenty times while going to our cars! :D

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Please, don't even get me started on Detroit :laugh: It's such a joke that they call themselves Hockey Town. I'm not going to get into details, but to make a long story short, Montreal is and always will be the world capital of hockey!

Les Canadiens de Montréal?

Ancient history! Lord Stanley's Cup is America, where it belongs! And when the waiter fills it with champagne, he gets 20%!

LadyJaye

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

Ancient history! Lord Stanley's Cup is America, where it belongs! And when the waiter fills it with champagne, he gets 20%!

And not 20% in the form of stinkin' Canadian pennies.

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp

I know your joking, but I can say without even looking at the roster that most of Detroit's best player's are from Canada and probably wish they could play for a Canadian team, too. Just like every other team in the NHL. I'm sure if you offered all the player son the U.S. teams who are Canadian to win the Stanley Cup for a Canadian team they would quickly take it. But Detroit isn't a bad set up, it's close enough to the border.

But it's irrelevant because every team is mostly Canadians and most of the best players of all time are Canadian. So the olympics are a better way to measure, and guess who has the most golds. Canada and Russia are tied, actually. And that one gold the US has, Team Canada didn't even compete that year. Canada boycotted the Olympics for like tne years because the Russian team was professional, when it's suppose to be amateur (or it was at the time). The guys on the Red Army Team were really only drafted in the army to play hockey for the team, and apparently they weren't even trained or sent to bootcamp, but I don't know much about it, but that was the rational for the boycott. But either way the Russians have a great hockey program as well.

Long story short, it would be a better use of resources to brag about football :tongue:

LadyJaye

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I know your joking, but I can say without even looking at the roster that most of Detroit's best player's are from Canada and probably wish they could play for a Canadian team, too. Just like every other team in the NHL. I'm sure if you offered all the player son the U.S. teams who are Canadian to win the Stanley Cup for a Canadian team they would quickly take it. But Detroit isn't a bad set up, it's close enough to the border.

But it's irrelevant because every team is mostly Canadians and most of the best players of all time are Canadian. So the olympics are a better way to measure, and guess who has the most golds. Canada and Russia are tied, actually. And that one gold the US has, Team Canada didn't even compete that year. Canada boycotted the Olympics for like tne years because the Russian team was professional, when it's suppose to be amateur (or it was at the time). The guys on the Red Army Team were really only drafted in the army to play hockey for the team, and apparently they weren't even trained or sent to bootcamp, but I don't know much about it, but that was the rational for the boycott. But either way the Russians have a great hockey program as well.

Long story short, it would be a better use of resources to brag about football :tongue:

I will concede this point. Most of the exceptional players are, in fact, Canadian. But, that's all part of the master plan - to set up "outposts" in the US, in the form of hockey teams, and then populate them with their superior humans, or "clones", who then rub their spores all over the American women, and thus they spread their agenda!

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ

I know that these assertions are false. Many Canadian players are happy to stay on American teams their entire career. Yzerman, Sakic from 1995 on, Mike Richards (signed in Philly through like 2075). NHL players are pretty loyal to their teams if they have been there for years. They only get nationalistic come Olympics time. Besides, how can you offer players a chance to win the Stanley Cup in Canada? Has a Canadian team even won the Cup in your lifetime? :D

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
I doubt your premise.

It's a shopworn stereotype, but it seems to have a basis in reality. I've come across Canadians while working in service industries, and it has been true in those instances. It's joked about occasionally on the hockey boards I frequent.

MBTI Type
INTJ

Nowhere that French is spoken can be the world capital of hockey! :tongue10: