• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How to prepare for a collapse

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
How to Prepare for a Collapse in 9 Steps – a Case Study with David Holmgren - Walden Labs

I put this in this subforum because it is about home. The article above is fascinating and I can't help but think that I envy their lifestyle.

I recommend reading the whole thing, so you can see how someone could "go off the grid" but still be part of the community and thrive, instead of being isolated.

Tl;dr version: 30 years ago, a couple decided to disconnect. They bought 2 acres of land on the edge of town and built a home, planted crops, and trees. They built dams.

In short, they are largely independent of the modem society, providing for their needs themselves, while still in the local community and assisting others to get more independent.

If society ever has a significant collapse, starvation will begin in days, not weeks or months. Grocery stores will be empty in days.

The water supply will be tainted almost immediately, because modern city water systems require pumps operating and if power is out, the water is contaminated in a day or two (happened in my city).

An EMP would fry electronics.

I am not in any way prepared like the folks in the article, but we have enough food to last us a long time.

Plus, their lifestyle is more compatible with the environment. They are working with nature, not against it. And their adverse environmental impact is negligible.

ZNP-TBA

Privileged Sh!tlord
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx
I'd get out before it got too hot. If such a post-apocalyptic dystopian future ever materialized I'd recommend having a storage full of non perishables. Make sure you're also armed because your gun could actually be your lifeline in a much more significant way.

MBTI Type
*NF*
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That's exactly the very precise question the french team should work on before playing for euro2016 tonight :doh:

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
If the team wins, I will ;) Anyway I'm on the UK side, in brief I'm a real traitor.

My long deceased English royal ancestors did own half of France, so you referencing earlier connections....

My French friend in college did have a huge selection of French surrendering jokes.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
When Hurricane Isabel hit my city, the water supply was fucked for 2 weeks. In a major collapse, we won't have the luxury of fresh bottles being trucked into cities.

Go through a single natural disaster in an urban or even suburban area and it will change your mind on preparedness pretty quick. While I believe in preparedness and being responsible for yourself and not relying on the government or anyone else, much of the way info is presented is part of the problem.

LDS members prepare as part of their religion and community - there is excellent info out there on the topic. They are the most reasonable, common sense methods I have seen so far. On the other end of the spectrum are the preppers, they just come off as way crazy to a lot of people, especially new people. They have great info to share but sadly, less people will hear it, especially when they don't share political views. There really is nothing political about being prepared. Hurricanes and tornadoes don't give a fuck.

The main issue I have with prepping is there are people going out and buying $20k worth of stuff with no clue how to use it. I'm talking basics like how to start a fire or how to shut gas and water off to your house to how to sharpen a knife, fish for food or use a gun. All of the preparing in the world is pointless if you don't know how to use it. This is what people who want to prep should be doing first. Before they buy a single can of Spam and case of water at Walmart.

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Go through a single natural disaster in an urban or even suburban area and it will change your mind on preparedness pretty quick. While I believe in preparedness and being responsible for yourself and not relying on the government or anyone else, much of the way info is presented is part of the problem.

LDS members prepare as part of their religion and community - there is excellent info out there on the topic. They are the most reasonable, common sense methods I have seen so far. On the other end of the spectrum are the preppers, they just come off as way crazy to a lot of people, especially new people. They have great info to share but sadly, less people will hear it, especially when they don't share political views. There really is nothing political about being prepared. Hurricanes and tornadoes don't give a fuck.

The main issue I have with prepping is there are people going out and buying $20k worth of stuff with no clue how to use it. I'm talking basics like how to start a fire or how to shut gas and water off to your house to how to sharpen a knife, fish for food or use a gun. All of the preparing in the world is pointless if you don't know how to use it. This is what people who want to prep should be doing first. Before they buy a single can of Spam and case of water at Walmart.

Excellent points.

It isn't about buying some guns and a bunch of junk. It is about changing a lifestyle.

Rather than pursue the latest things, instead jump off the consumer/debt path and free oneself to live.

Could basic survival skills be necessary? Likely, so learn them now while the internet still works.

Could firearms and self defense training be necessary? Then do it. Dedicate time to personal fitness and a training regime.

Could having land and your own well and a large garden help survive? Plan ahead.

The government will not be able to take care of you in the short term with even a modest disaster. Plan so you can take care of yourself.

Our economy is based upon a massive house of cards. The Great Recession could soon look like a tiny blip compared to how things could go.

Sure, it may never happen. But the more self reliant one can become, the more peace one can have.

I hope to move further on this path. If things go wrong and I am not ready, it will be my fault....

MBTI Type
*NF*
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My long deceased English royal ancestors did own half of France, so you referencing earlier connections....

My French friend in college did have a huge selection of French surrendering jokes.

What is a soccer player used to ask to his hairdresser ?

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
1) Move to Utah

2) Befriend Mormon Doomsday Prepper

3) Profit!

I read a post apocalyptic novel years ago and the protagonist mentioned that the Mormons got robbed and murdered as soon as the society fell.... because everyone knew they had food.....

But you have no need to move to Utah to find a Mormon, there are a lot in Florida

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Church_of_Jesus_Christ_of_Latter-day_Saints_membership_statistics_(United_States)

Looks like over 150k....

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
There are LDS canneries (home storage centers or whatever they're calling them now) in places besides Utah. Texas, Arizona, Idaho, I think some in Alberta. I would totally shop at a Mormon Mart if there was one near me, anyone can go there.

MBTI Type
*NF*
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I would vote for Trump as an American citizen, or vote for Marine Lepen as a french one, and work on propaganda immediately to convince all people around me

and transmit the virus as quick as I can :orate::tiedup::mrtoothy:

SpankyMcFly

Level 8 Propaganda Bot
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
When Hurricane Isabel hit my city, the water supply was fucked for 2 weeks. In a major collapse, we won't have the luxury of fresh bottles being trucked into cities.

Gangs of marauders will form quickly and they will take by force what others have, so if you have the means to fresh water and food, you should also have the means to defend yourself against any who want to take it away.

Don't count on the military or police; most of them will wind up deserting to protect their own families or to form their own gangs of survivalists/marauders.

I suggest getting as far away from densely populated areas as possible. If you own land or know someone who owns land, that is your best bet.

^ This. I always shake my head when I speak with someone who is so disconnected from reality that they can't see how important it is to be able to protect yourself or who thinks the government is going to protect them (police, national guard, military, whatever). Anyone who has lived in the hood, near it, or say a 3rd world country or as others have mentioned here, when law and order break down during a disaster knows. Survival of the fittest indeed, even when 'fittest' means knowing how/when to keep your head down.

P.S. "Real" Preppers, don't let others know that they are preppers due to the above mentioned scenarios involving LDS.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think learning a lot of these basic survival techniques, and being able to live on your own (get by without having to buy your food or water, without needing electricity), is obviously super important. It's all stuff that not that long ago, was known by everyone, but has vanished with modern society and now people may not even comprehend how blessed they are to even have a tap where clean water comes out (and forget about the luxury of buying bottled water).

But.... as others have said, one can be super prepared, and be completely functional living on their own -- but the real problem imo is the maurading opportunists who would start joining up in gangs. Sure, a gun or two could fend some off, but not forever. I suppose a larger enough community could keep itself together, assuming 99% or whatever of humanity died off in a relatively short span of time, but the survivors would be ...the survivors...thus stronger/smarter/found their niche of surviving. Who knows.

Anyhow seems safest bet would be to genuinely live off the land, not have a permanent home base per se. Not have things stockpiled or the nice farm that covers all your needs - because that stuff could easily be stolen or taken over.

I definitely need to be living elsewhere, though, for this scenario.