• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Vegans of typoc unite!! we have nothing to lose but our groceries!!

Luke O

Super Ape
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
"Timmy, get away from the grill! You've been at it for three hours now!"

There'll be the local beef addicts holding the butchers up at knifepoint

(cue Crocodile Dundee moment)

Reborn Relic

Damn American Cowboy
MBTI Type
INTP
1. Are you vegan? Ja.
2. Why? Same reasons as you, probably. I don't believe in killing animals if one can reasonably be able to avoid it, and unlike in the case of moving about freely, living in a shelter of some kind, and living in the conditions of the past, it's reasonably possible for many people to avoid eating meat.
3. Name three of your favourite vegan eats. Veggie versions of stuff I was eating before--veggie burgers, for instance. Bok Choy and a lot of fried rice types are often vegan where I live, so there's them too. :p
4. What is the most difficult part of being vegan? It was meat-cravings at first but that's subsided. Wondering about health, "is this actually vegan" and so on are my main concerns now. :p
5. What is the most rewarding thing about being vegan? As someone else put it, the feeling of moral superiority. :p

hjgbujhghg

I am
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I am a vegetarian. I am against animal cruelty, industrial farms and mass killing of the animals. I also know people eat far more meat than their bodies actually need and we produce more meat than we're actually able to sell. All that resulting into animals dying in vain and in terrible conditions. And I could name many, many more issues that I have on my mind...but...
I am against veganism, I did a huge research a few years back, when I was thinking of becoming a vegan and the information I've gained from reading multiply sources helped me to make-up my mind on this topic. Sure...you do get nutrition from plants, you even get protein from them, which is awesome! The issue is... proteins are not all the same, proteins that come from plants are different in their number of amino acids they contain. There are many different amino acids and some of them you only can find in animal products or meat. I avoid eating anything dead, but I do eat animal products such as milk and eggs to make sure I do have all the types of proteins I do need. There's also an amimo acid that can only be found in red meat e.g beef and is essential for the development of red cells in your body. Not speaking of B12, but I am sure you know about B12.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I am not a vegetarian

I am picky about the sources of my meat though, as I prefer for it to have had a happy life and have been killed humanely as possible (I believe that happy animals are tasty animals!) I did grow up on a farm though, so it's not like I ever had illusions as to where my food comes from

I'm fond of black beans and rice, marinara sauce with pasta... hmm... most things involving potatoes? (not sweet potatoes... proper potatoes!)... as you can tell, I add meat to a lot of things

I would not know the most difficult or rewarding parts of being a vegan, since I'm pretty strictly omnivorous (and actually afraid of plants touching me)

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I am not a vegetarian

I am picky about the sources of my meat though, as I prefer for it to have had a happy life and have been killed humanely as possible (I believe that happy animals are tasty animals!) I did grow up on a farm though, so it's not like I ever had illusions as to where my food comes from

I'm fond of black beans and rice, marinara sauce with pasta... hmm... most things involving potatoes? (not sweet potatoes... proper potatoes!)... as you can tell, I add meat to a lot of things

I would not know the most difficult or rewarding parts of being a vegan, since I'm pretty strictly omnivorous (and actually afraid of plants touching me)

Hahah. So if someone put a piece of seaweed on your leg you'd make the most non-8 sound ever?

I agree with much of what you're saying. I'm picky about my meats (I buy from 3 farms - one for beef, one for lamb, one for chicken and eggs). We eat a decent amount of meat free meals - falafel, stuffed eggplant, Punjab dishes like Chana Masala, grilled paneer with spices, grilled vegetable pizza... it never occurred to me to think of it as vegetarian eating. I don't have any agenda and I don't really do it for economic purposes. Those dishes just taste good and I like using locally grown produce.

Masokissed

Spoiled Brat 🍒
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I would be a vegan if vegetables weren't disgusting.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Vegans in the produce section:

giphy.gif

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Are you vegan?

Yes.

Why?

Because there are more reasons to be vegan, than to not be vegan. Environment, health, animals, and spirituality. ..but the most compelling reason for me was the environment. "I like the way it tastes" and "it's easy/traditional" aren't reasons to eat meat, unless you're on the low end of the bell curve.

Veganism is the future. Well, mostly. Vegetarianism and veganism will be normal in Western society within 100 years. Consumption of meat will be viewed as barbarically as discrimination, slavery, and other past times people once considered "normal."

Einstein said vegetarianism was the future. Martin Luther King was vegetarian. Kings son is a vegan activist. This is humanity's next step forward.

. Name three of your favourite vegan eats.

Woodfired marinara pizza with Daiya, fresh basil, kalamata olives, mushrooms and cherry tomatoes from my favorite local pizza place

A smoked tofurky sandwich on vegan potato bread with fresh raw torn kale, Just Mayo, and a drizzle of Sriracha

Jackfruit "tuna" melts

What is the most difficult part of being vegan?

Mostly that people are stupid. There's a lot of misinformation out there, a lot of people are profoundly ignorant, and it's always bothered me, but when it comes to veganism, and the environment, I sometimes feel like I'm talking to semi literate 19th century slave owners.

Also Freelee the Banana Girl, omg, can someone shut her up? She is to veganism, what Donald Trump is to the Republican party.

What is the most rewarding thing about being vegan?

Everything.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I am a vegetarian. I am against animal cruelty, industrial farms and mass killing of the animals. I also know people eat far more meat than their bodies actually need and we produce more meat than we're actually able to sell. All that resulting into animals dying in vain and in terrible conditions. And I could name many, many more issues that I have on my mind...but...
I am against veganism, I did a huge research a few years back, when I was thinking of becoming a vegan and the information I've gained from reading multiply sources helped me to make-up my mind on this topic. Sure...you do get nutrition from plants, you even get protein from them, which is awesome! The issue is... proteins are not all the same, proteins that come from plants are different in their number of amino acids they contain. There are many different amino acids and some of them you only can find in animal products or meat. I avoid eating anything dead, but I do eat animal products such as milk and eggs to make sure I do have all the types of proteins I do need. There's also an amimo acid that can only be found in red meat e.g beef and is essential for the development of red cells in your body. Not speaking of B12, but I am sure you know about B12.

Actually what you just said isn't true. You apparently didn't do a large amount of research on vegan health. But congratulations on being vegetarian.

If you eat a balanced diet with beans, pulses, soy/tofu, grains, green vegetables and a variety of other vegetables and fruits, there is absolutely NOTHING a vegan diet lacks other than B12...even DHA can be obtained from algal sources, Omega 3s easily produced by flax and chia...if you check most balanced vegan diets on a Cronometer, vegans get all the protein and amino acids meat eaters do.

The problems generally arise with raw vegans, and especially fruititarians, like Freelee the Banana Psycho.

There are so many resources that easily debunk what you said, I urge you to do more research, as well as understanding how many nutritional deficiencies are common among meat eaters and lacto-ovo vegetarians. Lacto vegetarians may actually be lower on iron because they rely too much on eggs and cheese, and not as much on legumes, nuts, seeds and green vegetables.

The founder of veganism lived to be 95, and people have been having safe vegan pregnancies and vegan children since the late 40s-early 50s. Vegetarians and vegans in Loma Linda, California are some of the healthiest and longest living people in the world. If what you said was true, vegan pregnancy and child rearing wouldn't be so incredibly successful. ..producing intelligent, physically strong adults.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Eating extremely rare meat is bad for the body since your body has to work harder to break up the enzymes. For this reason I usually cook my meat medium-well (it also depends on the meat product). If you cut meat out of your diet for a long time then your body gradually loses its capability of breaking down meat which will make a person very sick.

I played around with the vegan diet a bit (just out of California curiosity) and I never felt so sick in my entire life. IMO prisoners on death row have better daily nutrition. :shrug:

Don't perpetuate lies because you were too ignorant to feed yourself properly.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Yeah, I used to make sure my pork and chicken was cooked, but beef I usually loved rare.
Back in France I used to eat it as steak tartare, with raw eggs and pepper.
In Korea I would eat it with sliced pears, ginger, soy, yams and stuff.

I think going vegan requires a lot of structured planning in terms of nutrition.
It can make you or break you depending on how much you put into it health-wise, I think.

As for me, going vegan has been like a miracle waiting to happen for my health.
I actually suffered from eczema and psoriasis for five+ years before going vegan last month,
and in the past two weeks, my skin has just been clearing up like nothing ever happened.
I'm really excited about what this can potentially do for my health.

It's simply about relearning sources. For example, iron and lysine coming from pulses, nuts and seeds, knowing that nuts and tofu are more calorically dense than plates of fruit, knowing calcium is in broccoli, kale, and fortified almond or soy milk, knowing about algal DHA and flax/chia/hemp Omega 3s.

Meat eaters and lacto-ovo vegetarians can also have terrible nutritional deficiencies, educated vegans may be so healthy because they understand more about nutrition than the average person, who eats whatever and prays for the best. People just assume that because vegans supplement B12, that it's somehow more dangerous or exotic than meat eaters supplementing vitamin D in milk (vitamin D doesn't occur naturally in milk)...a lot of omnis also take magnesium, calcium, zinc, fiber supplements, and fish oil for Omega 3s (how is this different than taking flax oil or B12?)

Don't let people talk shit to you because they're ignorant and afraid.

Some good resources are Unnatural Vegan and Bite Size Vegan on YouTube. I especially like Unnatural Vegan...she's likely an INTJ or INTP...she's ridiculously calm and rational, and has been vegan for over a decade. She cites solid sources, she actually annoys some ethical vegans because her phlegmatic logic to them comes across as "not caring enough about converting others"...but most of the information she offers is solid, though she has some personal bias like every other human. Bite Size Vegan though has made well cited videos on nutrition and environment, but shes extremely ethically driven, and more...personal? There are also books you can buy by registered dieticians who are specifically vegan dietitians.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
1. Are you vegan? Not anymore .
2. Why? At the time I didn't have a kitchen and meat was expensive.
3. Name three of your favourite vegan eats. Avocado on everything. Kale everything. Oatmeal 100 different ways .
4. What is the most difficult part of being vegan? Consuming enough calories for my activity level.
5. What is the most rewarding thing about being vegan? Fascinatingly clean poops.

Did you try eating more beans, tofu, nuts, seeds and oils like olive, canola and sesame? There are vegan body builders, I hate recommending Vegan Gains because he's really mean and misogynistic, but he's an athlete and a vegan who has a YouTube channel.

I can stand by my recommendation of Rich Roll, though, he's a lot saner.

Also, NoMeatAthlete.com

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
As a newly minted vegan,
I have abstained from chowing upon the carcasses of other living *sentient beings
for the past oh, two weeks and counting.
I don't know a SINGLE vegan in my vicinity
so I am feeling kind of lonely in my dietary choices these days.

I'd like to know if you're also a vegan,
AND IF SO,
what your reasons for going vegan were/ are.
Does it have much to do with personality, I'm wondering!
So here's the questions:

1. Are you vegan?
2. Why?
3. Name three of your favourite vegan eats.
4. What is the most difficult part of being vegan?
5. What is the most rewarding thing about being vegan?

Ready set go!
How exactly are u going to lose ur groceries.
I think u lack proteins:coffee:

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
1. Are you vegan?
nop
2. Why?
because meat
3. Name three of your favourite vegan eats.
hummus
4. What is the most difficult part of being vegan?
meat
5. What is the most rewarding thing about being vegan?
you tell me