• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Sugar-free recipe for cake anyone?

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I recently bought a bag of SPLENDA No Calorie Sweetener, Granulated...

I tried making an existing recipe of Homemade Baked Apple Pie with it and simply substituted it for sugar, but of course it didn't come out quite right. Wasn't too bad though. A little tweaking would've helped.

Does anyone have any kick-ass sugar-free cake recipes? My s.o. has Type 1 Diabetes and I'm a decent cook, but have virtually no experience with baking sugar-free desserts. Any help at all would be fantastic.

Thanks in advance!

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Splenda I found is much different from regular sugar. You can substitute it for anything sugar needs, but the measurements have to vary. My grandma when she lived with us for 8 years was diabetic, so we were always making sugar-free things which taste none-too-pleasent. We got excited when splenda came out, tried to make lemonade with it for her, and it wasnt until after I served it that I tried it and realized it was so sweet it twisted my tongue around. It was a real waste, rubbing all the lemons down to juice and all for the batch. We really didn't use it again after that..

...I'm sure any website online that's specifically geared toward splenda would ensure it came out correct though.

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Splenda I found is much different from regular sugar. You can substitute it for anything sugar needs, but the measurements have to vary. My grandma when she lived with us for 8 years was diabetic, so we were always making sugar-free things which taste none-too-pleasent. We got excited when splenda came out, tried to make lemonade with it for her, and it wasnt until after I served it that I tried it and realized it was so sweet it twisted my tongue around. It was a real waste, rubbing all the lemons down to juice and all for the batch. We really didn't use it again after that..

...I'm sure any website online that's specifically geared toward splenda would ensure it came out correct though.

There are instructions directly on the bag that I followed. I also went to their website, but the recipes I found on there seemed a bit fancy when I only want to make something simple.

Hence, this thread...

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
1 ¼ cups flour
½ cup granulated Splenda
¼ cup unsweetened cocoa
1 ½ tsp baking powder
½tsp baking soda
½tsp cinnamon
¼ tsp salt
½ cup melted margarine
2 eggs, beaten
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup peeled, grated apple
¼ cup chopped pecans
vegetable cooking spray

Preheat oven to 325 F. Spray a 9 inch baking pan with vegetable spray.

Sift together flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.

In separate bowl, cream together the Splenda margarine, eggs and vanilla. To ensure maximum lightness, beat longer than you would if sugar were used. Stir in apple and pecans.

Spoon batter into baking pan. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until toothpick in center comes out clean. Note that this recipe Splenda will cook slightly faster than a similar recipe using sugar.

Cut into 2 inch squares and enjoy recipe Splenda.

That seems to be as simple as the recipes are coming to me.. I do know that they also make the box-cakes from the doughboy with splenda instead of sugar so it's already pre-measured.. I'm not positive on how they taste personally, but seems to be an easy way of making cake. Nothing's easier than box-food.

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
1 ¼ cups flour
½ cup granulated Splenda
¼ cup unsweetened cocoa
1 ½ tsp baking powder
½tsp baking soda
½tsp cinnamon
¼ tsp salt
½ cup melted margarine
2 eggs, beaten
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup peeled, grated apple
¼ cup chopped pecans
vegetable cooking spray

Preheat oven to 325 F. Spray a 9 inch baking pan with vegetable spray.

Sift together flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.

In separate bowl, cream together the Splenda margarine, eggs and vanilla. To ensure maximum lightness, beat longer than you would if sugar were used. Stir in apple and pecans.

Spoon batter into baking pan. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until toothpick in center comes out clean. Note that this recipe Splenda will cook slightly faster than a similar recipe using sugar.

Cut into 2 inch squares and enjoy recipe Splenda.

That seems to be as simple as the recipes are coming to me.. I do know that they also make the box-cakes from the doughboy with splenda instead of sugar so it's already pre-measured.. I'm not positive on how they taste personally, but seems to be an easy way of making cake. Nothing's easier than box-food.

I will try it and report back!

Snacky

There are thousand recipes across the Internet. Just try about.com. They have a lot of those.