• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Hammock Camping

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
So, I'm planning on attempting to live out of my backpack while in Japan if at all possible. We were thinking we'd try hammock camping before then, and see if it is an option for us out there.

Has anyone done this/been doing this? I was thinking maybe some warm base layers + a light compact sleeping bag would be sufficient for my hammock (it's screened in against bugs) but maybe y'all have some suggestions?

jcloudz

Yup
MBTI Type
Istj
Adventure girl kyuuei vs wild! That sounds fun. Im a wimpy guy who hates misquitos, so nothing offer here. Sorry

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
So what I have is a basic hammock set up with a mosquito net attached to it. Something like this:

skeeter_beeter.jpg

+ a shelter tarp like this:

img_1680.jpg

I was thinking about something like this...

Amazon.com : #1 Backpacking Sleeping Bag By Bear Butt *START UP COMPANY "Kicking Coleman Out Of Sleeping Bags Since 2016"-Backed By A Money Back Promise For Ultralight Hiking, Lightweight Camping, Travel & Leisure : Sports & Outdoors
or this Amazon.com : Bundle Monster Cool Weather Camping Sleeping Bag for 3 Seasons (Spring, Summer, Fall) - Blue - Adults : Compact Sleeping Bag : Sports & Outdoors

...which could be useful as a blanket during long flights and guest stays as well while fitting into a backpack.

Dyslexxie

Dope& diamonds.
HAMMOCK CAMPING. I'm too much of a queen to do camping but in a hammock? Amazing! I'd even be swayed to try.

Kas

Fabula rasa
A friend have one of these bear butt sleeping bags and is very happy of it. And I would love so much to have one this size myself…

The question what time of year do you plan to use it now and in the future (I suppose these are summer plans?) >41degrees these are meant for summer sleeping bags >32 like this second you posted are meant to late spring and early autumn as well. Best is to check what temperatures are in region this particular time. I think that these season 2 for temperature above above 32 degrees are most universal. Though for summer this first one would be enough and it's light and small.

Finally I know nothing about hammocks, but that sounds like great trip :)

Tengri

I tried this in my timeoff when I worked in AK and it's a pretty solid, lightweight way of tent-camping while on the go. My advise would be to ditch the mosquito net and drop a little extra for a full hammock tent. My reasons for this are a) all the moths and mosquitoes will still (annoyingly) cluster at the inside roof of the rain tarp, but you can zip yourself into the hammock tent; b) ventilation is nice, but the option of zipping out evening and morning dew is a godsend; and c) it's much faster to dry and pack up as one piece. REI and Moosejaw have some good options. Minor quibbles were all the slugs that needed to be flicked off the tarp every morning and climbing into boots was a hassle. Otherwise, really fun experience and super comfortable sleeping!

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
A friend have one of these bear butt sleeping bags and is very happy of it. And I would love so much to have one this size myself…

The question what time of year do you plan to use it now and in the future (I suppose these are summer plans?) >41degrees these are meant for summer sleeping bags >32 like this second you posted are meant to late spring and early autumn as well. Best is to check what temperatures are in region this particular time. I think that these season 2 for temperature above above 32 degrees are most universal. Though for summer this first one would be enough and it's light and small.

Finally I know nothing about hammocks, but that sounds like great trip :)

Thanks, we're gonna figure it out along the way ;) Next month is definitely going to be pre-Japan experimentation, even if it is just sleeping outside with our gear in our own yard haha.

Yeah I'm from Texas originally, and things can never be warm enough for me.. We're going in May to Japan, so I expect some 45-75 degree weather for the most part. I'm thinking a slightly warmer sleeping bag will suit me well, and I have some base layers I'll be bringing in case I do get cold to wear. I also have a heated hoodie if I wake up chilled. :)

I tried this in my timeoff when I worked in AK and it's a pretty solid, lightweight way of tent-camping while on the go. My advise would be to ditch the mosquito net and drop a little extra for a full hammock tent. My reasons for this are a) all the moths and mosquitoes will still (annoyingly) cluster at the inside roof of the rain tarp, but you can zip yourself into the hammock tent; b) ventilation is nice, but the option of zipping out evening and morning dew is a godsend; and c) it's much faster to dry and pack up as one piece. REI and Moosejaw have some good options. Minor quibbles were all the slugs that needed to be flicked off the tarp every morning and climbing into boots was a hassle. Otherwise, really fun experience and super comfortable sleeping!

Can you post some examples? I'm having trouble finding what you're mentioning, but maybe it is because I don't have a good picture in my head. :laugh:

Mostly we have the set ups we do because they're cheap and tiny.. We got one for free for a christmas present, and the other was on a super clearance sale thing online... Mine has a net built into it.. and I got the tarp from a kickstarter. :shrug: So far, less than $100 for the equipment we have right now.

Tengri

Can you post some examples? I'm having trouble finding what you're mentioning, but maybe it is because I don't have a good picture in my head. :laugh:

Mostly we have the set ups we do because they're cheap and tiny.. We got one for free for a christmas present, and the other was on a super clearance sale thing online... Mine has a net built into it.. and I got the tarp from a kickstarter. :shrug: So far, less than $100 for the equipment we have right now.
Sure! Not a problem. I meant hammock tents like these: Hennessy Hammock Expedition Asym Zip Hammock or the Hennessy Hammock Hyperlight Asym Zip Hammock are good examples. REI is generally more expensive than it needs to be, so Amazon has lots of affordable alternatives. There are lots of options, even double-decker two person hammock tents :)

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Sure! Not a problem. I meant hammock tents like these: Hennessy Hammock Expedition Asym Zip Hammock or the Hennessy Hammock Hyperlight Asym Zip Hammock are good examples. REI is generally more expensive than it needs to be, so Amazon has lots of affordable alternatives. There are lots of options, even double-decker two person hammock tents :)

Ahhh I see now! :) A double decker might be pretty sweet actually.. two people setting up one legit system and voila.

Definitely will post up some experimentation and comfort and such.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Been watching a lot of videos. Found a good one where the guy says to use a carabiner to create drip points for the ties so water doesn't travel down the hammock ties. Another one showed off the Lawson hammock tent really nicely and omg that thing is soooo much more legit than my set up. 4 lbs isn't nothing... but it has everything you'd want in it already. And between a cheap underquilt, some tree huggers, and that thing, $200ish for a legit set up is pretty sweet.

Also, I found a brand called Matador with a pocket beach blanket that I think would work good as a tiny under quilt.. just enough to create some space and insulation between myself and the outside and in a tiny package no less. I'd have to experiment with it. Apparently quilts are like $50 on the cheap side and pretty bulky, so if I can make this work even a little bit I'd call it a success. If not, it'll make a good floor for the mornings anyways...

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
I've done a little hammock camping with a hammock and tarp I made myself. I never quite could get comfortable in it. The tension in the fabric would always be pulling on my head and neck slightly. And, I don't often sleep on my back. I'm more comfortable sleeping on the ground.

In general, you'll probably want a sleeping bag which you can use as a quilt or an actual quilt. It's hard to crawl into a sleeping bag in a hammock. Some type of uncompressed insulation underneath is definitely needed below 70F. I've used a regular inflating insulated mat and a simple foam pad. It sounds like you're going in the right and comfortable direction with an underquilt though. :)

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I've done a little hammock camping with a hammock and tarp I made myself. I never quite could get comfortable in it. The tension in the fabric would always be pulling on my head and neck slightly. And, I don't often sleep on my back. I'm more comfortable sleeping on the ground.

In general, you'll probably want a sleeping bag which you can use as a quilt or an actual quilt. It's hard to crawl into a sleeping bag in a hammock. Some type of uncompressed insulation underneath is definitely needed below 70F. I've used a regular inflating insulated mat and a simple foam pad. It sounds like you're going in the right and comfortable direction with an underquilt though. :)

Im trying to make this set up as efficient as possible for the money because... I have this idea I'll somehow go all over Japan with just my backpack.. so I can buy souvenirs and throw them in a duffel on the way back home. I'm not sure if it'll make sense for us to camp yet, I'm still experimenting with it... but if it is, it'd be a great relief for my budget there.

Cloudpatrol

Senior(ita) Member
Haven't done hammocks but here we have a secret spot with nets strung through trees and it is similar :) Therm-a-rests are great for keeping warm and for comfort. Some of my friends prefer them to beds even in North America. You could do an ad to find some second-hand?

Nets.jpg

You might find like-minded or experienced travellers on this site (there are more recent posts): https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php/92080-Any-Hangers-in-Japan-!-!

And there is a cute 7-week travel log based on a daughter and Mom doing hammock camping in Japan here: Urban Camping - 7 Week Backpacking Trip Through Japan - Week 1 — Sierra Madre Research

Happy planning and adventuring [MENTION=4939]kyuuei[/MENTION]

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Haven't done hammocks but here we have a secret spot with nets strung through trees and it is similar :) Therm-a-rests are great for keeping warm and for comfort. Some of my friends prefer them to beds even in North America. You could do an ad to find some second-hand?

View attachment 15662

You might find like-minded or experienced travellers on this site (there are more recent posts): https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php/92080-Any-Hangers-in-Japan-!-!

And there is a cute 7-week travel log based on a daughter and Mom doing hammock camping in Japan here: Urban Camping - 7 Week Backpacking Trip Through Japan - Week 1 — Sierra Madre Research

Happy planning and adventuring kyuuei

Thank you kindly for the links!! :hug: :hifive: :wizfreak:

Yeah I've been playing with the idea of an underquilt, but it might be best for me to have both a quilt and a more ridged thing like that mattress. I'm just trying to balance the whole idea of like.. Hey, this is suppose to be smaller vs the same size as a traditional tent. :D Can't wait for the weather to get closer to what it will be in Japan again so we can really test these out. I figured if I can sleep outside and then go to work all night without issue, I'll surely be able to do Japan.

thanks for your assistance!

Cloudpatrol

Senior(ita) Member
Yes, it's always hard to know 'how big to go' when you are considering lugging your gear versus the comforts/benefits of a restful sleep.

I find there are even more links available on camping in Southeast Asia. A different ballgame entirely [MENTION=4939]kyuuei[/MENTION], but some have pics of the spread that they took on their travels. It might help you visualize the amount you want to take or learn from what they deduced after coming back.

No matter what, it will be an epic trip. Exciting! :yay:

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Yes, it's always hard to know 'how big to go' when you are considering lugging your gear versus the comforts/benefits of a restful sleep.

I find there are even more links available on camping in Southeast Asia. A different ballgame entirely [MENTION=4939]kyuuei[/MENTION], but some have pics of the spread that they took on their travels. It might help you visualize the amount you want to take or learn from what they deduced after coming back.

No matter what, it will be an epic trip. Exciting! :yay:

Oh yeeaahh! :cheers:

I'm in absorb all the things mode because it's too cold yet to test it all out.

I did however just score a thermarest for $15 because it has a hole in it. I have a special technique for those things so I know it'll hold up after the patch.

Cloudpatrol

Senior(ita) Member
Wow! [MENTION=4939]kyuuei[/MENTION] The only thing better than being cozy and comfortable on a thermarest in the elements is: being cozy and comfortable on a thermarest you scored for $15 :rock:

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
If you are especially concerned about lower temperatures, make sure you ALWAYS change out of clothes you hiked in, even if they're only damp from sweat. Bring clothes specifically for sleep, base layers plus things like a sweatshirt and a beanie for colder days.

Have fun!