• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

armor for pets

best armor?

• nobility armor

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • jouster's armor

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • samurai armor

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • footsoldier's armor

• savage armor

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • other - please specify in comments

• Total voters

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
there are foxes and other predators who frequent my neighborhood. i have done a little bit of research which revealed that in general a fox would prefer not to fight a cat, but if something like that goes down, i'm not looking to have a dead cat on my hands so i am legitimately thinking about getting a set of armor for my cat; basically, i want him to win whatever engagement he gets himself into.

Nocap... Most of that armor doesn't even cover any vital organs.
Moreover - what happens when Dexter tries to instinctually groom himself/remove the armor, & causes trauma to his face & mouth? Or it catches on something outside, to where he can no longer escape his attacker? Even cat collars have that issue. Most require a breakaway mechanism specifically for this reason. Occasionally the mechanism can fail, leading to tragic results.

Best case scenario, you spend money on a cute (I mean - badass) outfit for Dexter, complete w/breakaway mechanisms, which effectively remove said armor the second he darts into some heavy brush or climbs a particularly full tree.. And the money you've spent is more or less a loss.

Might really be better to keep'm inside at night. It isn't cruel to do so. Also, make sure he's up to date on all his vaccinations/get a fresh fecal sample examined annually (I'm sure you're on top of this already, though). He's probably more at risk for contracting a disease from an altercation with another animal/eating a sick animal, than being directly killed by one.

Or, y'know, buy a bunch of fox piss & covertly scatter it around the neighborhood every so often. I hear that keeps predators away.
https://www.predatorpee.com/
Just Scentsational! 16 oz. Red Fox Urine Small Animal Deterrent-FU-16 - The Home Depot

Luke O

Super Ape
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I'm now wondering whether there could be a market created for fox piss for predator deterrence. All I need is some foxes, some diuretics and a cunning marketing strategy.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm now wondering whether there could be a market created for fox piss for predator deterrence. All I need is some foxes, some diuretics and a cunning marketing strategy.

There is a market for it. People who keep chicken coops in residential suburban or rural areas use it all the time to protect their chickens or whatever other small animals they're raising.

My friend's parents use it.. It's effective, but smells utterly fucking vile when you first spread it out. Worth it, though.

Luke O

Super Ape
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
There is a market for it. People who keep chicken coops in residential suburban or rural areas use it all the time to protect their chickens or whatever other small animals they're raising.

Who do they buy their piss from I wonder?

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Who do they buy their piss from I wonder?

I linked some places you can get it from, online. They offer wolf pee, as well. Probably some local farm supply stores carry it, too. Or outdoorsman shops.

Luke O

Super Ape
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I linked some places you can get it from, online. Probably some local farm supply stores carry it, too. Or outdoorsman shops.

Ah...

I've also heard that lion shit is an excellent deterrent, which you can (obviously) get from zoos.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ah...

I've also heard that lion shit is an excellent deterrent, which you can (obviously) get from zoos.

Yeah, probably wouldn't last long enough, though. You'd have to fill your trunk with giant cat shit every other week... Probably not the most practical, haha.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
01a6e1b0af410c91f7332777f2588e90.jpg

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
Nocap... Most of that armor doesn't even cover any vital organs.
i'm figuring that since those exposed parts will be facing the ground, they will be hard enough to access that it's a negligible consideration.

Moreover - what happens when Dexter tries to instinctually groom himself/remove the armor, & causes trauma to his face & mouth? Or it catches on something outside, to where he can no longer escape his attacker? Even cat collars have that issue. Most require a breakaway mechanism specifically for this reason. Occasionally the mechanism can fail, leading to tragic results.
dexter weighs 20 pounds now, and less of it is fat than you might think. that guy is seriously stronk. i don't think this will be an issue because he will be able to break almost anything it gets caught on.

Best case scenario, you spend money on a cute (I mean - badass) outfit for Dexter, complete w/breakaway mechanisms, which effectively remove said armor the second he darts into some heavy brush or climbs a particularly full tree.. And the money you've spent is more or less a loss.
i was actually thinking about that, and i think the right solution is to embed a GPS tracking device in his suit that i could monitor so that if i see the suit is in the same spot for like a really long time i can retrieve my cat or just his armor (in case he comes home without it).

Might really be better to keep'm inside at night. It isn't cruel to do so.
believe me, if that was an option, i would just do that. if he wants to go outside, i'm going to let him outside. sometimes he stays out 4-5 hours after being let out at like 9 PM. much past that, and i tell him he's just going to have to shit in the tub again.
but i'm not staying up all night just to let the little turd in, and there's really no telling when he'll return.

Also, make sure he's up to date on all his vaccinations/get a fresh fecal sample examined annually (I'm sure you're on top of this already, though).
that is correct.

He's probably more at risk for contracting a disease from an altercation with another animal/eating a sick animal, than being directly killed by one.
frankly, considering that dexter has downed a hawk without help, i think he can pretty much take all comers, but i definitely like the idea of a rabid wolf/bear/jihadist breaking leather instead of skin. additionally, if it gives him an extra 3 seconds reaction time to flee, that's enough. just have to be careful about how it's crafted so that it doesn't endanger him.

Or, y'know, buy a bunch of fox piss & covertly scatter it around the neighborhood every so often. I hear that keeps predators away.
https://www.predatorpee.com/
Just Scentsational! 16 oz. Red Fox Urine Small Animal Deterrent-FU-16 - The Home Depot

no.

i still haven't made up my mind about this yet, but i definitely am considering all the danger it might put him in and coming up with ways of preventing those issues.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
i forgot to mention about the grooming and general comfort - this armor would have to have buttons that i could use to snap/unsnap him from the suit. i wouldn't make him wear it during the day, but if the sun's not up, he's putting on his armor before he leaves the house.

then he's comfortable and free most of the time, plus i can charge his tracker.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
After careful and agonizing deliberation, I placed my vote for samurai armor. It implies ancient discipline. Plus I've had the recent opportunity to see a quilt/ animal armor show (no lie...lol) and the traditional armor seemed perhaps cumbersome. My crew would get flexible yet strong samurai armor.