• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Developing a liquor collection

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I order on the rocks usually, but I occasionally enjoy it straight.

I'm not sure why you need a "good bar" for drinking whiskey. Whiskey is one of those products that doesn't change from place to place, as long as you get the same brand.

In a pinch, from the bottle is more than justified. :)

Lark

I order on the rocks usually, but I occasionally enjoy it straight.

I'm not sure why you need a "good bar" for drinking whiskey. Whiskey is one of those products that doesn't change from place to place, as long as you get the same brand.

Because not every bar will carry a good stock of whiskey, most bars will only have two or three tops, here that would mean JD, Jameson, Bushmills, maybe, perhaps one or two scotch, not even that many off licence will carry more than a limited selection, certainly not supermarket off licences.

I just think there's an important atmosphere/aesthetic aspect to enjoying a more expensive or refined drink, otherwise I'll drink a cheap and cheerful beverage with a diet cola or other sugar free mixer. Or just a beer. I like sour beers.

- - - Updated - - -

Need to decide on something for my drinking game for the debate tonight.

Mint liquor.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I decided to just get blackout drunk before the debate so I wouldn't have to watch it. Worked like a charm!

SpankyMcFly

Level 8 Propaganda Bot
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Here's my go to tequila recommendation I give folks. $30ish, smooth, complex character and it's from Sauza, the original tequila company in Mexico. Perfect for sipping neat. Get the anejo.

Tres Generaciones

90q8eq.jpg

SpankyMcFly

Level 8 Propaganda Bot
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Someone requested that I create a post about what makes a good tequila. Here goes.

For me what makes a good tequila is actually being able to taste & appreciate the flavors and tones of tequila. Blue agave is a type of cactus (it can serve as a sugar substitute) and what most tequilas are made with and 100% blue agave is the benchmark for a well made tequila. I mention this because some low brow brands, who mostly but not entirely, cater to the domestic market, use fillers in their tequilas because it's cheaper and quicker.

Another factor that differentiates tequilas is the distillation process. Most tequilas are double distilled. I prefer triple distilled tequilas and the whole Tres Generaciones line is triple distilled. What is the difference and how does that affect the taste? The 3rd distillation takes away a touch of the agave taste BUT it also greatly reduces the burn and bite that double distilled tequilas have. The net effect is that because there is almost no burn or bite you can actually taste the tequila. That is what I'm after.

Another thing to factor is how long the tequilas has been fermented. This greatly affects the taste and character. The darker the tequila, the longer it's been fermented. You have 3 main categories, silver (unaged and clear in color), reposado (2-12 mo. fermentation in oak barrels and gold in color) and añejo (fermented 1-2 years in oak barrels and a caramel color). Añejos have the greatest range in taste.

What does Tres Generaciones Añejo taste like? The nose is oaky, a floral background and very smooth, silky. It's hard to tell you're even drinking an 80 proof alcohol. The body: the oak taste continues but steady in strength with a hint of oilyness while the floral changes to citrus, there is also a slight warmth. It finishes with the agave bursting through nice and clean (it's like a buttery-honey taste) but short, crisp with a slight increase in warmth. Ahhhh... tasty. :D No burn, no bite, very smooth.

While the brand I recommend isn't the best, for the price it's an outstanding value. Tequila sites & experts rate it about a 90ish on a 1-100. Also the $30 is what I pay in Mexico. I just checked BevMo and they have it for $44. Of course the further away from Mexico you are, the more expensive it's going to be.

P.S. Jose Cuervo is not drank very much in Mexico and most of it is sold for export.

tl&dr 100% blue agave + añejo + triple distilled = bestest tequilas

Tiger Owl

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
These necro posts make me miss the couple people I came to care about back when I was first on the forum. They are gone and I am back. Strange.
also, whiskeys are my favorite liquors. Drink them neat or with a splash of water (particularly if cask strength), ice can spoil the taste profile.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
These necro posts make me miss the couple people I came to care about back when I was first on the forum. They are gone and I am back. Strange.
also, whiskeys are my favorite liquors. Drink them neat or with a splash of water (particularly if cask strength), ice can spoil the taste profile.

True. I got some stainless steel cubes for this purpose and it makes a noticeable difference.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Someone requested that I create a post about what makes a good tequila. Here goes.

For me what makes a good tequila is actually being able to taste & appreciate the flavors and tones of tequila. Blue agave is a type of cactus (it can serve as a sugar substitute) and what most tequilas are made with and 100% blue agave is the benchmark for a well made tequila. I mention this because some low brow brands, who mostly but not entirely, cater to the domestic market, use fillers in their tequilas because it's cheaper and quicker.

Another factor that differentiates tequilas is the distillation process. Most tequilas are double distilled. I prefer triple distilled tequilas and the whole Tres Generaciones line is triple distilled. What is the difference and how does that affect the taste? The 3rd distillation takes away a touch of the agave taste BUT it also greatly reduces the burn and bite that double distilled tequilas have. The net effect is that because there is almost no burn or bite you can actually taste the tequila. That is what I'm after.

Another thing to factor is how long the tequilas has been fermented. This greatly affects the taste and character. The darker the tequila, the longer it's been fermented. You have 3 main categories, silver (unaged and clear in color), reposado (2-12 mo. fermentation in oak barrels and gold in color) and añejo (fermented 1-2 years in oak barrels and a caramel color). Añejos have the greatest range in taste.

What does Tres Generaciones Añejo taste like? The nose is oaky, a floral background and very smooth, silky. It's hard to tell you're even drinking an 80 proof alcohol. The body: the oak taste continues but steady in strength with a hint of oilyness while the floral changes to citrus, there is also a slight warmth. It finishes with the agave bursting through nice and clean (it's like a buttery-honey taste) but short, crisp with a slight increase in warmth. Ahhhh... tasty. :D No burn, no bite, very smooth.

While the brand I recommend isn't the best, for the price it's an outstanding value. Tequila sites & experts rate it about a 90ish on a 1-100. Also the $30 is what I pay in Mexico. I just checked BevMo and they have it for $44. Of course the further away from Mexico you are, the more expensive it's going to be.

P.S. Jose Cuervo is not drank very much in Mexico and most of it is sold for export.

tl&dr 100% blue agave + añejo + triple distilled = bestest tequilas

I had this at a wine tasting last summer. I think I can taste the difference between Jose Cuervo and Patron Silver (one is good and one is bad) but this was kind of lost on me.

bottle.png

SpankyMcFly

Level 8 Propaganda Bot
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I had this at a wine tasting last summer. I think I can taste the difference between Jose Cuervo and Patron Silver (one is good and one is bad) but this was kind of lost on me.

bottle.png

I've only tried the normal line of Patron products which is all double distilled and not to my liking. The Gran Patron though is triple distilled and I'd love to give it a go around :) I've still haven't acquired an appreciation for fine wines so I can relate to your observation about not getting the tequila differences except for the obvious ones.

There is a Mexican restaurant in San Diego, specifically the Old Town part that has excellent food, authentic too, but pricey that also has a massive tequila collection. Over 2,000 tequilas, largest in the U.S.

EL AGAVE RESTAURANT. Mexican Cuisine in San Diego.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Just got a bottle of Ardbeg Ugeadail. I’m a sucker for Islay scotch although I’m not a snob about it. I just love that oily, peaty, smoky thang. Keep going back for that profile. Great with a smoke. I also got a tasting dram of Swedish scotch Mackmyra Svensk Rok. Mainly because of curiosity in how they implement juniper. Going to try it tonight. It’s finally under 50 degrees F in Florida. :)

Tiger Owl

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Just got a bottle of Ardbeg Ugeadail. I'm a sucker for Islay scotch although I'm not a snob about it. I just love that oily, peaty, smoky thang. Keep going back for that profile. Great with a smoke. I also got a tasting dram of Swedish scotch Mackmyra Svensk Rok. Mainly because of curiosity in how they implement juniper. Going to try it tonight. It's finally under 50 degrees F in Florida. :)
Let me know how it turns out, that sounds interesting.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I just started mine it's really basic right now, I'm buying one thing each time i go to the liquor store
u9RnIia.jpg
I'm not doing anything special just the types i personally like. I still need to get some golden tequila, golden rum, white rum, and whiskey (both irish and rye), and scotch. that madeira isn't very good, but i'll only use it in cooking

Tiger Owl

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Just got a bottle of Ardbeg Ugeadail. I'm a sucker for Islay scotch although I'm not a snob about it. I just love that oily, peaty, smoky thang. Keep going back for that profile. Great with a smoke. I also got a tasting dram of Swedish scotch Mackmyra Svensk Rok. Mainly because of curiosity in how they implement juniper. Going to try it tonight. It's finally under 50 degrees F in Florida. :)
Thanks for checking in! I will keep my eyes open for that one.