• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Developing a liquor collection

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
cellerette_closed.jpg

I've an antique cellarette that looks kind of like the photo above. Its history goes back to Revolutionary War days, where it was reportedly used by ancestors of mine to help members of the Virginia Legislature escape the Redcoats. They just invited the army in for a drink, delaying them long enough (and making them drunk enough) so that their targets got away.

Oh nice.

I saw a lovely liquor cabinet at Home Goods but I didn't buy it. I should have it would have been perfect so, I kick myself every time I go in there and I'm running out of room.

I also second Hornitos. One of my favorite drinks is a Paloma. I've seen them made with Jarritos or Squirt but fresh grapefruit juice is so good and refreshing.

I will make a booze confession here. I have a buttload of flavored Smirnoff. I take a lot of shit for this, for the ridiculous amount that I own and the fact that I'm a food snob and could easily flavor them myself. But when I want a Pineapple Upside Down Cake Martini, I want a Pineapple Upside Down Cake Martini now and cake vodka makes that easy.

My new obsession is bar accessories and glasses. I got a nice set of whiskey stones and wine pearls for Christmas. I probably won't use the pearls but the stones work beautifully and are very elegant.

uumlau

Happy Dancer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The cellarette has a singular flaw: it doesn't fit all bottles. So if the bottle is extra tall, or is a 1.75 L bottle, it needs to go elsewhere. BUT mine is an antique (appraised at some absurd value that I'd probably never be able to sell it at), so I keep it to showcase things and be kind of a nice centerpiece.

Beorn

Permabanned
This was a great idea! It has already becoming a treasure trove of ideas and advice and we've only just begun!

I don't have a bar but it's on the top of my list to get a globe bar in the next few years. I don't care if it's tacky or cheesy.

eclectic-home-decor.jpg

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
This was a great idea! It has already becoming a treasure trove of ideas and advice and we've only just begun!

I don't have a bar but it's on the top of my list to get a globe bar in the next few years. I don't care if it's tacky or cheesy.

eclectic-home-decor.jpg

Bar's in the globe.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Here is the shelf on my bar at home I built

Southern comfort, Jack fire, desaronno(SP?), makers mark whiskey, patron

Under cabinet, still have a lot more I wanna buy slowly. Just ran out of 151, Malibu rum, and a white rum. Made a dragon bowl and it was 4 or 5 different time. Was good. Nothing special, just buying and trying things out right now. Vodkas, rums, brandies, tequilas, gin, whiskey, schnapps, some basics.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The full bar I built. Yes, lights change color. I leave it on a setting that just slowly fades to different colors.

I haven't found a place for stereo stuff yet. Still working on that.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I used to always have the following:

hendricks gin
stoli (decent price, decent vodka)
meyers dark rum (perfect for a dark and stormy, which was one of my favorites)
kahlua (yay for white russians!)
forty creek whisky (as a non whisky drinker I even liked it!)
1800 anejo tequila (not for shots... for drinking like a proper person)
sailor jerry for my uncouth friends who wanted rum and cokes to get drunk off of
ouzo, which I kept in the freezer and would pour a shot for anyone who insisted on drinking my liquor... if they wouldn't drink a shot that tasted like licorice and looked like a snowglobe they weren't worthy of my booze
fernet (to go with coke!)
and for special occasions, green chartreuse... which tastes magical and is rather strong as well :drool:

I always had other things that would cycle in and out of my collection depending on my mood, but those were the basics

also, mixers such as:

coke
ginger ale
bloody mary mix (whichever you like best)
coconut cream
pineapple juice
cream
tonic water (essential! I loved gin and tonics so much :wubbie: )

and for heathen friends who visited I'd usually have some crappier liquors like smirnoff and jose cuervo with margarita mix and such... if they weren't going to drink it straight or in a snobby drink they didn't need to drink my better liquors :nono:

alas, I drink no more... and after looking at my list I realize that I used to spend a lot on alcohol :shock:

wow... I realize that I was a snob! :peepwall: (in my defense, I did work at a liquor store)

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Cool thread! I am a gin lover, personally, and PeaceBaby's list of gins is good. Hendrick's is my personal fave.
20080723-hendricks-gin-small.jpg

I also like rum, and Pusser's is my favorite.
pussers-bottle.jpg

I've got to tuck someone in at the moment- I'll do a little more thinking and maybe come back later tonight.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I'm trying to get into wine but having a hard time of it. I could dedicate entire threads to my beer and bourbon tastes.

I like wine ok but it will never replace a good mixed drink for me. Or beer. I have to stock up on rum for mojitos because I ran out about halfway through the baseball season. Bullpens, man. They make me drink.

citizen cane

ornery ornithologist
MBTI Type
BIRD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
If you're going to be making cocktails, you should probably also have sweet and dry vermouth, as well as Angostura bitters. Also, something I'm quite fond of is Campari. It's a bitter aperitif and it's not everyone's cup of tea, but I like it and so did Hemingway.

Beorn

Permabanned
Went over to a friend's house and tasted a few nice things.

MacAllan 12
macallan-12-year-highland-single-malt-scotch.gif

One of those scotches everyone raves about. It deserves it. Definitely a scotch to add sooner rather than later.

I also tried some lemoncello and a mysterious tequila that was picked up in Mexico.

The lemoncello was good and it's one of the few liqueurs I knew I wanted to add as it's a particular favorite around here as there are so many Italians.

The Tequila wasn't as impressive as I hoped. It was a reposado, but I think I prefer anejos for sipping.

Of course we started the night with hometown pride and new hipster beer king.

04_13_genesee_bock_beer1.jpg

uumlau

Happy Dancer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
and for heathen friends who visited I'd usually have some crappier liquors like smirnoff and jose cuervo with margarita mix and such... if they weren't going to drink it straight or in a snobby drink they didn't need to drink my better liquors :nono:

alas, I drink no more... and after looking at my list I realize that I used to spend a lot on alcohol :shock:

wow... I realize that I was a snob! :peepwall: (in my defense, I did work at a liquor store)

Nothing wrong with being a liquor snob! Sometimes being a "snob" just means having standards, not looking down on people.

One time, I ordered a double Makers on the rocks, and the bartender charged me only for a single. Why? Because in this college town of kids playing at being grown-ups, I was the first guy that evening who ordered a "real drink". The kids order bastardized crap like Jack and Coke, or margaritas, or ... wine?! (All they had was "red" and "white" - it wasn't a wine bar.)

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
The lemoncello was good and it's one of the few liqueurs I knew I wanted to add as it's a particular favorite around here as there are so many Italians.

You may want to consider making it yourself, it's easy and very good.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
More gin! [MENTION=5999]PeaceBaby[/MENTION], I like Tanqueray or Beefeater for a general mixing have-around-the-house gin, and usually save Hendricks for company or for when I want cucumber in my G&T. I am all about some unusual flavors, so I will definitely try the two Dillon's gins you suggested. Another less common gin I like is Monkey 47, which has a pretty complex flavor (and a super cute bottle):

Monkey-47-gin.jpg

I actually drink fairly seldom but I like to do it right when I do. :)

Beorn

Permabanned
More gin! [MENTION=5999]PeaceBaby[/MENTION], I like Tanqueray or Beefeater for a general mixing have-around-the-house gin, and usually save Hendricks for company or for when I want cucumber in my G&T. I am all about some unusual flavors, so I will definitely try the two Dillon's gins you suggested. Another less common gin I like is Monkey 47, which has a pretty complex flavor (and a super cute bottle):

Monkey-47-gin.jpg

I actually drink fairly seldom but I like to do it right when I do. :)

I'm very interested interested in the growing craft gin trade and will add it to the list.

Unfortunately around here it's pricey at $44... for a 375ml.

Beorn

Permabanned
Today I did go ahead and buy the plantation 5 year rum and Casa Noble Anejo.

21010.jpg

casa-noble-Bottle_Anejo_2014_final_cut.png

Only opened the rum so far. Started out a little harsher than I expected, but mellowed on the second taste and I'm starting to appreciate the nuances of it. Doesn't blow the mind, but definitely solid for only $19 and worth sipping.