• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Spring Cleaning Thread

Cloudpatrol

Senior(ita) Member
I've been attacking my place too but bit by bit as my schedule allows. My goal is for "everything to have a place" so that clutter is eliminated. I am almost finished minimizing but would welcome advice in other areas:

1) I HATE cords showing. Other than converting to wireless (which I have where possible) how do you hide cords? I look at pics in decor mags longingly trying to figure out how they have performed such wizardry (in real homes, not cosmetic shoots {wink}).

2) I usually freeze my brushes when continuing painting the next day. Any other painting tips? Is there any alternative to turpentine for cleaning brushes?

3) I want to hang my bike on the wall and maybe my guitar too. But, my landlord isn't thrilled about me making new holes. Any suggestions?

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
I've been attacking my place too but bit by bit as my schedule allows. My goal is for "everything to have a place" so that clutter is eliminated. I am almost finished minimizing but would welcome advice in other areas:

1) I HATE cords showing. Other than converting to wireless (which I have where possible) how do you hide cords? I look at pics in decor mags longingly trying to figure out how they have performed such wizardry (in real homes, not cosmetic shoots {wink}).

2) I usually freeze my brushes when continuing painting the next day. Any other painting tips? Is there any alternative to turpentine for cleaning brushes?

3) I want to hang my bike on the wall and maybe my guitar too. But, my landlord isn't thrilled about me making new holes. Any suggestions?

1. For the rest of us who exist in reality outside of Photoshop, we just have to be a little artistic about it and camouflage them.

Soon, however...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duFL3STguKw

2. Are you painting with water-based paint? If you wash out your brush before it dries, dish detergent (especially Dawn brand), hot water, and a brush comb work well. If you're using oil-based paint, why? :D

3. There are various bike stand styles which might work to keep the bike near the wall. Of course the bike is still on the floor, but it's securely out of the way. There are also pulley systems or hooks for hanging it on the ceiling, but that would require finding something structurally solid to bolt to in the ceiling. Most ceilings are not painted, making the holes easier to patch than painted or papered walls.

Cloudpatrol

Senior(ita) Member
[MENTION=71]JAVO[/MENTION] my friend! I miss You :)

1) Hmmm, that video was current. It gave me a charge...really electrifying! First I thought "Watt IS this?" but then I felt transformed! :tongue:

Now, everytime I use my water pic/toothbrush I will be mentally shaking my fist at the sky that 'things aren't moving fast enough' for my decor desires ;)

2) No oil based (shudder = headaches :() Great tip! Less chemical interaction and I have the goods already. Whohoo :party2:

3) Most importantly my tenancy agreement refers to holes in the walls but speaks not of holes in the ceiling. Nudge nudge wink wink :new wink: So, could I use a stud-finder (SO hard not to insert a joke :p )? My ceiling is painted (I have a thing for painting ALL the things) but I have no problem with patching holes when the time comes.

Thanks! :hug:

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
[MENTION=27162]Cloudpatrol[/MENTION], I miss you too! :hug:

1) Hmmm, that video was current. It gave me a charge...really electrifying! First I thought "Watt IS this?" but then I felt transformed! :tongue:

Now, everytime I use my water pic/toothbrush I will be mentally shaking my fist at the sky that 'things aren't moving fast enough' for my decor desires ;)
:rofl1:

I always enjoy charging up your day over a distance. :D

2) No oil based (shudder = headaches :() Great tip! Less chemical interaction and I have the goods already. Whohoo :party2:
I know sometimes it needs to be used though for durability. I always prime oily/sappy woods like pine with oil-base primer, preferably with a throw-away brush or roller. An alternative to turpentine is low-odor ("odorless") mineral spirits.

3) Most importantly my tenancy agreement refers to holes in the walls but speaks not of holes in the ceiling. Nudge nudge wink wink :new wink: So, could I use a stud-finder (SO hard not to insert a joke :p )? My ceiling is painted (I have a thing for painting ALL the things) but I have no problem with patching holes when the time comes.
:laugh: (yes, I'm resisting inserting a joke too! studs... holes... insert... so hard :ohmy:)

Good thinking on using the ceiling loop holes! ;) But then, I suppose you'll have to be prepared for the landlord's reaction when there's a plumbing leak or some other reason to be there and they walk in and see your bike suspended from the ceiling. :)

Sometimes a stud finder will work, but not usually on rough textured ceilings. Sometimes, the finder has to have a "deep" setting. :)ohmy: ...but seriously). Or, the ceiling can be probed with a small nail. Some stud finders also have an AC current detector, which can be a useful caution.

Cloudpatrol

Senior(ita) Member
An alternative to turpentine is low-odor ("odorless") mineral spirits.

Thanks [MENTION=71]JAVO[/MENTION] Both are good options. I will experiment and see which I prefer.

:laugh: (yes, I'm resisting inserting a joke too! studs... holes... insert... so hard :ohmy:)

Still kind of feels like you slipped one in (laughs) :newwink:

Good thinking on using the ceiling loop holes! ;)

Clever :)

But then, I suppose you'll have to be prepared for the landlord's reaction when there's a plumbing leak or some other reason to be there and they walk in and see your bike suspended from the ceiling. :)

Yes. This is an instance of I'd rather ask for forgiveness after than permission first. I am a model tenant in all respects - so I fear not - that this would threaten good relations.

Some stud finders also have an AC current detector, which can be a useful caution.

At the moment I cannot locate my stud finder (yeah yeah general hilarity ensues :tongue:) but when I do I will look. If I need help I could always send you a pic.

Hope your week is swell! :bye:

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
I somehow got into this spring cleaning thing. :doh: I was getting really tired of springing garden tool boobytraps every time I needed a shovel or push broom from the chaos stack. I thought of some nifty designs, but instead, I used Occam's hammer: I made a rather inelegant and ultra-simple garden tool rack yesterday using only a 2x12 piece of lumber and some nails. Before hanging it (with lag screws), I put all of the tools on it on the ground as if they were hanging from it, and then pounded in the nails. To make minor adjustments, I bend the nails. To make major adjustments, I pull them out and pound in new ones. :cheese: I'd post a pic, but I don't want anyone stealing my design. :newwink:

Still kind of feels like you slipped one in (laughs) :newwink:
:laugh:

At the moment I cannot locate my stud finder (yeah yeah general hilarity ensues :tongue:) but when I do I will look. If I need help I could always send you a pic.
Ha ha! I'll loan you my stud finder finder! :D

True story: I had my stud finder in my pocket yesterday facing towards me, and the thing started beeping! :shrug:

Anytime, I'm always glad to help!

Cloudpatrol

Senior(ita) Member
Sounds like an artfully rewarding project [MENTION=71]JAVO[/MENTION] Organizing...isn't my favourite pursuit but the dividends make it worthwhile. ie. The frustrations of searching for things, existing in clutter being avoided.

True story: I had my stud finder in my pocket yesterday facing towards me, and the thing started beeping! :shrug:

Who are we? To argue with technology :D

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm not sure if I can call it spring cleaning anymore, as much as "I just moved into this new house and am now in hyper-Te mode" cleaning. Like, now that I'm in this new situation, I'm noticing EVERYTHING that can be changed. I'm not blind to any of it yet, because it's not familiar yet.

The main items on my agenda for the next few months:

1) Finalize my bedroom (which is still a mess and still lacking some furniture and storage, so there's a lot of stuff that has nowhere to go)
2) Clean the windows, not just in my bedroom but in the common spaces as well (the house is a little darker because the windows are so dirty on the outside)
3) Organization, especially in the kitchen, which is a disorganized mess

Cloudpatrol

Senior(ita) Member
I'm not sure if I can call it spring cleaning anymore, as much as "I just moved into this new house and am now in hyper-Te mode" cleaning. Like, now that I'm in this new situation, I'm noticing EVERYTHING that can be changed. I'm not blind to any of it yet, because it's not familiar yet.

The main items on my agenda for the next few months:

1) Finalize my bedroom (which is still a mess and still lacking some furniture and storage, so there's a lot of stuff that has nowhere to go)
2) Clean the windows, not just in my bedroom but in the common spaces as well (the house is a little darker because the windows are so dirty on the outside)
3) Organization, especially in the kitchen, which is a disorganized mess

Congrats on your new place! :hi five:

It IS motivating to look at a place with new eyes. I just found out I am having company to stay in a couple weeks and am looking around with a different view on things...noticing things anew that I must have been blind to day-to-day :shrug:

Helps to know others are organizing stuff too. The kitchen is always such a huge job after a move. I am determined to lavish the same care and attention on my bedroom that I normally assign to the rest of my place...

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
The bedroom is tackled, things that need to go to Texas are packed and ready to go, small projects are being sweeped up around here... And soon we're going to have a big space of organizational madness that never existed before, so all of this outside madness just laying around will be sorted into useful slots and out of sight as well! It'll make the back area of the house way more manageable both to look at and to use.

It's pretty funny the way it stands in our house right now.. Bedroom? Recently today looks spotless and nice (for us anyways). Living room? Trashed. Kitchen? Completely clean and organized except for the latter half which is trashed. Bathroom? Half spotless, half trashed. :laugh: But we're piecing it all together bit by bit. The kitchen is crazy good looking now.

Cloudpatrol

Senior(ita) Member
I love throwing stuff out!

Time to buckle down and get this project finished tho :alttongue:

Dust%20if%20you%20must_zps1oncfp1l.jpg