• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Homecooked veggie-based food ideas

Agent Washington

Softserve Ice Cream
steals traditional catholic recipe from friend, stashes here for reference

5 potato (medium)
2 carrots
celery

4 eggs
boil: eggs 10 minutes, rest 30-40 min

apple & mustard

Optional
leek (don't boil; more subtle than green onions)
peas (skip it)

mayo 1: mustard 0.5

Reporting back:
Indeed an authentic recipe. I'm never going back to the shitty basic mayo, peas and potato again. This will be my go-to potato salad recipe.

Agent Washington

Softserve Ice Cream
Poor man's super luxurious ramen idea:

1. Make potato salad (With carrots)
2. use broth from boiling potato and carrots to cook ramen (throw in some finely chopped vegetables (maybe more potato and carrots, coz those are cheap), garlic powder and whatever spices you like so it doesn't taste like potato water), add a bit of oil (or meat)
3. congrats you are now in soup heaven, and also you have a potato salad tomorrow

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Poor man's super luxurious ramen idea:

1. Make potato salad (With carrots)
2. use broth from boiling potato and carrots to cook ramen (throw in some finely chopped vegetables (maybe more potato and carrots, coz those are cheap), garlic powder and whatever spices you like so it doesn't taste like potato water), add a bit of oil (or meat)
3. congrats you are now in soup heaven, and also you have a potato salad tomorrow

Whenever we make ramen-style instant soup this is basically what we do.. the typical one I make looks like this:
- Instant dashi or mentsuyu to start with and a touch of sesame oil and sometimes shoyu or miso
- Boil chopped onion, celery, garlic, and carrot and sometimes mushrooms
- Throw the noodles in until soft
- throw chopped spinach and dried seaweed in last minute after the noodles have cooked
- Top with cilantro and green onions

Agent Washington

Softserve Ice Cream
Whenever we make ramen-style instant soup this is basically what we do.. the typical one I make looks like this:
- Instant dashi or mentsuyu to start with and a touch of sesame oil and sometimes shoyu or miso
- Boil chopped onion, celery, garlic, and carrot and sometimes mushrooms
- Throw the noodles in until soft
- throw chopped spinach and dried seaweed in last minute after the noodles have cooked
- Top with cilantro and green onions

Thank you! That sounds delicious! I will remember that combination for future reference.
I haven't been able to get my hands on these because I'm a budget xD Not the noodles, the dashi, dried seaweed, cilantro and green onions. I've substituted all of my fresh herbs with dried ones because it's cheaper and can be kept for a long time.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Thank you! That sounds delicious! I will remember that combination for future reference.
I haven't been able to get my hands on these because I'm a budget xD Not the noodles, the dashi, dried seaweed, cilantro and green onions. I've substituted all of my fresh herbs with dried ones because it's cheaper and can be kept for a long time.

Herbs are arguably the most expensive of all the produce. But sometimes they can be cheap when fresh.. for example, green onions resprout very easily by keeping the white/root ends in a cup of water that you change for fresh water daily. I sprinkle a few granules of miracle gro into the water to start with, keep it for 3-4 days, then start changing the water daily. Keeps the green onions growing until you're ready to chop more into a dish.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9

You can regrow green onions from the scraps. Actually there are many things you can regrow but I can vouch for the green onions.

deadspin-quote-carrot-aligned-w-bgr-2

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I've seen recipes for both cauliflower tortillas and cauliflower pizza crust. No clue at all if these are legit or shitty.. but only one way to find out.