• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Cooking eggs

rivercrow

shoshaku jushaku
MBTI Type
type
I love eggs.

This morning, I decided to learn to poach eggs. It turned out pretty well. I didn't do the vinegar in the water trick or the "mini-vortex" trick, so the white dissipated some. Next time, I will also use a soup ladle to lower the eggs in the water instead of a cup or spice dish.

Anyone else got good ways to cook eggs?

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I just had Eggs Benedict for the first time a week or two ago. Yum!

I like eggs almost any way, as long as they are fully cooked. No runny eggs for me.

Rajah

Reigning Bologna Princess
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
I like 'em fried, on white bread w/ ketchup.

And now I want breakfast. THANKS.

Haight

Doesn't Read Your Posts
MBTI Type
INTj
This morning, I decided to learn to poach eggs. It turned out pretty well. I didn't do the vinegar in the water trick or the "mini-vortex" trick, so the white dissipated some. Next time, I will also use a soup ladle to lower the eggs in the water instead of a cup or spice dish.
Three things on that:

a/ The fresher the eggs, the tighter the grip on the yolk.
b/ You need the vinegar.
c/ I put the eggs into individual ramekins, allowing the front to just barely enter the water, and then I let it roll slowly into the water.

rivercrow

shoshaku jushaku
MBTI Type
type
Three things on that:

a/ The fresher the eggs, the tighter the grip on the yolk.
b/ You need the vinegar.
c/ I put the eggs into individual ramekins, allowing the front to just barely enter the water, and then I let it roll slowly into the water.

I *vaguely* recalled the "fresher the better" thing. We just got these eggs on Friday night, so they are pretty fresh. (They feel fresh--good shell texture, nice crisp shells, yummmm).

Does it matter what kind of vinegar? I seem to have a lot of balsamics, but straight white might be a special purchase. Is it the salt? I read I could put salt in the water too.

I didn't let the eggs roll into the water--but I didn't drop them in, either. The one turned out much better than the other--I think my technique improved on the second try. Can't wait to do this again! Fun!

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
3 pieces of day old bread, soak in a couple of beaten eggs. Fry the bread lightly, yumm.

-Geoff

rivercrow

shoshaku jushaku
MBTI Type
type
Oooh, thanks, Rajah--I thought that sounded familiar! Missing the maple syrup, tho. mmmmm

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
Some of us call that "French toast."

:tongue:

;)

Well, you've mentioned your culinary skills before, so I thought it best to describe it rather than assume recipe knowledge ;)

-Geoff

thirtyfour

MBTI Type
INTp
I love soft-boiled eggs. You cook them like hard-boiled eggs only not nearly as long. Then you tap off the tops of the eggs and dip toast in them.

Res Ipsa Loquitur

MBTI Type
ISTJ
I love eggs too, particularly omletes or scrambled.

My mom makes the best deviled eggs - she uses a secret spice in the egg mixture. Whenever she makes them, they are gone in a matter of seconds.

MBTI Type
INTJ
I love eggs many ways, as long as they're fully cooked. My favorite is probably scrambled with some cheese, sausage and potatoes in a burrito.

The one thing I cannot abide is ketchup or salsa on eggs. I understand it's popular, but it makes my stomach turn.

niffer

MBTI Type
ENfP
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I love eggs many ways, as long as they're fully cooked. My favorite is probably scrambled with some cheese, sausage and potatoes in a burrito.

The one thing I cannot abide is ketchup or salsa on eggs. I understand it's popular, but it makes my stomach turn.

I like eggs with HP sauce..as well as the sauces you mentioned.

curmudgeon

Anyone else got good ways to cook eggs?

I love coddled eggs. Rub the inside of the coddler with a little butter or ghee, add a pinch of very sharp shredded cheddar, crack in a large egg, add salt and pepper, put the lid on the coddler, and drop into boiling water for ~10 minutes.

dissolved girl

MBTI Type
infx
I love eggs, I'm hard boiling one at this second. French toast is amazing, especially with brown sauce.

A cheats way to poach eggs (although I worry about how healthy clingfilm being in contact with the eggs is).

1. Square of cling film

2. Cling film stretched over a cup with a dip in the centre big enough to put your egg in

3. Put raw egg into dip and then remove cling film and twist at top to seal egg inside

4. Cook in pan of boiled water with top of cling film out of water for easy removal

5. Cook for desired time, remove, eat etc.